Pacman 6 got released: Requires manual intervention

Yay & Paru are already works with the new Pacman 6.0. I just tested it and yay -Syu works just fine.

3 Likes

Just an FYI

yay = yay -Syu

7 Likes

Want to share that link please?
yay has been getting its share of updates.

1 Like

@sammiev Here's a reddit post by the dev of Paru & yay. He says to not expect much new development on yay in the future.

Also a youtube video by DistroTube.

3 Likes

Yes yay will receive all necessary updates but will no longer add features. If it works it works.

4 Likes

I'm not overly sure what is "missing" with yay? I guess until paru or some other wrapper does something different enough that it warrants a switch, I'll probably just stay with yay. Plus I just like yay. It sounds better than paru. Yay is a happy computer. Paru is the noise it makes when I drop it down the stairs going up to my apartment.

5 Likes

Your first link is from 7 month back and there is no real info suggesting yay isnā€™t maintain any longer.
For the 2nd link please read all the comments under the video, it seems yay is still well maintained.
Thanks for the info and I have been using paru for 7 months on one of my installs and yay on all of the rest of my installs. I donā€™t think yay is going anywhere anytime soon.
My personal preference at this time is still yay.

3 Likes

Paru and onefetch are the first things I install on a new distro.
Not sure why people still use yay, but I don't think its a big deal.

TY Glad to hear Paru works with pacman6

I am one of the newer people to Linux in general. Still needing GUI as I have memory issues and the prompts are a simpler way than me keeping a manual list of things I need to do (even searching for the correct terms to then search for...). If I had access to a cheap tattooist I would likely look like the guy from Memento.

Garuda has been a godsend for me being able to get a stable arch install and then grab the regular software via PAMAC/Add Remove Software.

With it not working, I have to hold off a new install (not the worst thing).

Big thanks to all the good info I will try to remember in this thread. The pacnew merge is going to keep me confused for many weeks to come.

1 Like

Yes, I originally said above (post:59) that yay is still being maintained and receiving security/compatibility updates. Paru will just get more new features as time goes on. Theyā€™re still pretty much the same as of now.

@fbodymechanic Also, nothing is missing from yay, I just like using the newest and most cutting edge things. Also itā€™s built on rust. I like rust

Welcome, glad you are here.

1 Like

Understood. Iā€™m old school. I just like things that work. Iā€™ll let you do the research

3 Likes

I happen to think having a humble text file with a list of commands you might need for various scenarios is great. Iā€™ve had one for years. For instance I keep forgetting the pacman command to query which package a particular file belongs to. I stick it in the text file together with the syntax, and when I need it itā€™s ready to find.

Great memory aid to me.

6 Likes

I wonder how long it will take for pamac to catch up to pacman 6.

I suggest you start reading the linked issue, its linked for a reason.

7 Likes

GUI tkpacman is still working as one would expect as a GUI for pacman

2 Likes

If it's the easy search anyone happens to be missing while pamac et al is broken, there's always the Arch package search: Arch Linux - Package Search
Doesn't get Chaotic-AUR, of course, but it's still handy.

3 Likes

Just use yay to search yay music will bring up every package in repros, AUR, and installed. All nicely numbered just type No press enter job done, watch it build install no need for pamac never was.

6 Likes

What about Discover on KDE?