Pacman 6 got released: Requires manual intervention

Hi wow, I just posted similar to this in sway thread.
Did not see this post.
will do this.
I dont use pamac, always update via terminal as Im an opensuse - gnome refugee
Thank you,
Regards,
Nebo.

1 Like

Did you agree to overwrite your pacman.conf file with the pacnew? That would be my first guess.

I know there was a couple of people mentioning it to you. -Syu syncs all new packages -Syyu syncs ALL packages. Basically youā€™re just costing whomever is hosting your mirror more money.

-Syu is all you need unless you update mirrors, when you update mirrors ALWAYS want to make sure to pass the -Syyu

Technically you can use pamac in terminal too (pamac update) but using pacman/yay/paru is better (imo).

7 Likes

umm, i cheated did sudo thunar /etc renamed pacman.conf.pacold ans pacnew as pacman.conf
then nano to edit that file ands mouse to look at pacold file (one screen) . yay stops working if not upgraded at the time so i's is bent over right now.

Man, thereā€™s so much wrong with this I just donā€™t even know where to begin. . . . Thatā€™s almost assuredly why you no longer have the chatotic mirrors anymore. While Iā€™m not one to tell you how to manage your system, I would have merged them instead of just renaming pacnew.

You should never run a GUI as sudo - sudo thunar is a really bad habit to get into. If you insist on running a file manager as sudo - please use mc. While it does work (as noted below, and am guilty of it) you shouldnā€™t give superuser permissions to a GUI application.

yay works just fine for me. Iā€™m (on Arch) and had to rebuild the package as per the AUR page.

$ pacman -S --needed git base-devel
$ git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/yay.git
$ cd yay
$ makepkg -si

edited to sound less condescending.**

5 Likes

Actually I recently noticed etc-update (known from Gentoo) is available for Arch as well in the AUR. Its a handy tool which scans for new files and offers options to either merge, delete the file or interactively merge (in the terminal).

5 Likes

just posted that fix lol

The specific approach could be improved, but the basic idea is sound. Copy the file, open both old and new versions, and visually compare the two.

Using a specific tool is definitely easier if you know how to use it, but then most people will have started off doing exactly the same thing of having two text editors open side-by-side (I know Iā€™ve done thatā€¦).

3 Likes

I have too, and I've learned. I was more about just renaming pacnew to the conf without merging anything. I was guilty of this myself (sudo pcmanfm),

I will re-word, you're correct.

And from the way it sounds, they didn't copmare and combine, it sounds like they just renamed and went on the way.

1 Like

While weā€™re confessing our sins - minutes before this thread opened, I was sudo copying the old pacman.conf from a live image to my installation, because I did just that - blindly moving the .pacnew, overwriting the old. Had to even change the permissions of the merged file later so that I could pacman -Ss as userā€¦ :grin:

1 Like

Oof. pacnew files are definitely one of the things I too recently learned about. For so long, it didn't really matter so much because I used to distro hop like a fiend. You don't really ever need to merge things if they are always new. But I've been kind of set in my installs recently, so I've learned more.

It'll be a learning experience for you, next time you'll take your time and go through. I think I did the same thing you did on my first go at it. You remember "work" for next time. hahahaha

1 Like

With this release, will installing/using powerpill become redundant? As per the chaotic-aur page, the recommended fastest way of upgrading the system is the following:

pacman -Sy && powerpill -Su && paru -Su

Do i have to change the ParallelDownloads variable in /etc/pacman.conf?

What have you done with the old Derek who didnā€™t know jack about Arch just a short time ago? I mean, not even doggie-years ago. :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks for notifying @SGS . Iā€™m currently messed up as this forum after PacMan update.
The below is for Pamac.

sudo pacman -R pamac-flatpak-plugin
sudo pacman -S flatpak
sudo pacman -S pamac-flatpak-plugin

Iā€™m happy if it works
The below is for PacMan :

Step by Step support by Peer Review :relieved::
Due to update to PacMan 6 ,the GUI Installer - Add/Remove Software is not working. Personally for me Pacman terminal too failed after update.
I tried and partially got my terminal working

git://git.archlinux.org/pacman.git

I clone Pacman and builded it

Source : Support for users who updated to PacMan 6

We need to merge two Pacman config files.
Follow below steps

diff /etc/pacman.conf /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew

2.Copy output to clipboard

sudo rm /etc/pacman.conf
sudo mv ./pacman.conf.pacnew ./pacman.conf

4.Keep Cache directory commented (add # before line start)

5.Add the below at the end of new pacman.conf file

Colour
ILoveCandy

On middle add

[chaotic-aur]
#SigLevel = Never
Include = /etc/pacman.d/chaotic-mirrorlist

1. Uncomment the following (remove # at start; f line)

#[multilib]
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

#ParallelDownloads = 5

1. Atlast enter to resume ur daily Work :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

sudo pacman -Syyu
Check by Refreshing Keyrings in Garuda Assisant (Blue Eagle icon)

If you need another installer like paru (Pacman wrapper based on yay) , type following command one by one

sudo pacman -S --needed base-devel
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/paru.git
cd paru
makepkg -si

3 Likes

He started hanging out with the miscreants that moved to Arch via Archfi :shushing_face:

3 Likes

So just did a pacman -Syu, how do I update the AUR packages ? I have yay on my system but not paru. Are they updated since yay is a AUR helper ? or do I need to execute yay too ?

I believe Paru is the new yay. One of the original co-developers of yay moved on to create paru and it will get new feature updates, while yay will only receive security/compatibility/maintanance updates in the future. So I've switched to paru.

Just run Paru -Syu instead for all repositories including AUR.

2 Likes

I got old quick I guess. I'm done hopping. It's too much like exercise, and too easy to spill the te-kill-la

3 Likes

It change from
2021-06-03_20-27

to

Thursday? :wink:

Sorry, I donā€™t use flatpak :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess it's not a very good time to change from yay to paru, since I think it changes somethings that right now are broken, like pamac, but when I get hold that pamac is fixed I will install paru and rebuild pamac to run paru if it can be done.

4 Likes