Off Topic Chit Chat - (Silliness factor 5)

I believe in Indian dialects the final "a" is silent and not pronounced. However, I am not a speaker of any dialect that has this in their daily vocabulary.

7 Likes

Ya, If you speak in English its pronounced as "Garuda" if you speak in Hindi its "Garud" like we speaks "Yog" and if pronounced in English its "Yog+a = Yoga". The hindu god name is "Shiv" but in English its pronounced as "Shiv+a = Shiva". :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

That’s a problem a lot of users…or should I say ex-users had. It made no sense to me, as well. Arch is as stable as any mainline distribution made. More so than some.

Please don’t limit Garuda. All Linux distributions build on the best that others offer. That’s how we end up with so many diversified ones. Sure, MJRO has some good stuff, but now, so does Garuda.

The fact is, Garuda stands on its own merit.

A damned good start. It will be interesting where you and the team take it from here. :+1:

12 Likes

I agree with @Bro. You are all doing a great job. Keep it up. You are getting noticed more and more, don't let it go to your heads.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/is-garuda-linux-the-split-of-manjaro-linux/39963/8

Keep up the good work. I have been amazed at the quality and style. I will post later on my experience in installing and starting to set it up. I use KDE and it is so different, for the good.

gary

8 Likes

I'm not sure why the forum support staff there feel the need to bash Garuda. Since I've been a moderator here I've made it extremely clear to anyone bashing them on our forum to stop and modify or delete those types of posts.

Regardless of your opinion of another Arch based distro, bashing it on our forum is not OK. Every distro is put together as a labour of love by those producing it. You must respect the efforts of any distro developers contributing to the betterment of Linux as a whole.

I consider many of those on their project friends of mine, and it saddens me to read some of their comments about Garuda. Imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery and we use many of the great tools they developed in our distro.

However, Garuda stands on its own as a separate distro. We do not simply do as some other distros copying them as a base. We do not utilize their repos with a few minor modifications and simply slap on a theme change and declare ourselves a new distro.

Garuda is fundamentally different in many ways and we are far closer to Arch than them. When the day comes that Garuda needs to upgrade our infrastructure, we will likely at some point start taking donations. If and when that day comes, Garuda will be sure to give a portion of contributions back to Arch as we utilize all their repos and realize that without all their hard work we would not be here. We appreciate all the efforts of other distro's to improve Linux and will tolerate no bashing of them here.

Windows? well no comment. :rofl:

12 Likes

I totally agree with you. I have been amazed at Garuda. You are building a quality distro.

6 Likes

I still haven't tried out Garuda - shame on me!

I might get a new laptop soon and I will certainly give it a spin.
When I read the comments here, people are all very excited, so it must be good :blush:
But I'm not sure if it really is for me, because I'd like to take care of the tuning and tweaking bits myself :wink:

7 Likes

Well you can try it out when you find some tweaks that are not good just say it we will change it.

Or you can help us change them

9 Likes

Cool avatar :slight_smile:
I will have a look at it for sure, if and when I get new hardware.

(btw, my computers all run converted Manjaro->EOS installations)

6 Likes

I think regardless of whether you are a tinkerer you will appreciate a Garuda install and what it brings.

I am a unreformable tinkerer as my tweaks often take a year to get around to implementing all of my tweaks. However, I still appreciate the customizations Garuda does for the user.

They may not be to everyone's tastes, but generally the average user doesn't even know the difference.

Of course I realize your way more knowledgeable than most Linux users. I think if you give it a spin you'll be impressed. I know I was.

The theming may not be to your tastes, but that is the easiest of things to change if you want to. It cracks me up how people complain if the don't like the visual theming and latte dock arrangement. I mean latte dock can be disabled in seconds and a great KDE replacement dock is already preconfigured if you want to switch. Same with those that don't like Conky, it takes literally a couple of seconds to disable it if you don't like it.

For those that appreciate those preconfigured features though, it saves tons of research and efforts to set it up on your own (if you don't know how).

It's like finding the house of your dreams at an incredibly cheap price, and balking at the fire sale price because you don't like the colours they've painted some of the rooms.

10 Likes

Is there any specific reason that RED EYED Garuda logo is given to @tbg??? :thinking: :thinking: May be he is very angry man of all admins.... :wink: :wink: :wink:.

5 Likes

No, the bad cop I am :smiley:

6 Likes

How did you guess. Well, that plus over imbibing tends to give you bloodshot eyes. :wink: :smiley: :crazy_face:

6 Likes

“This bedroom has a study desk in it!!! How do I know this will work as a BEDROOM!!! AIIIIIII!” :man_facepalming:

11 Likes

Most of the pre-configured features, IMHO, would drive the “average user” batty doing them on their own. Who has the time? As an “average user” my configurations, in Arch, take longer to do than the installation. And they’re always post-configurations, at that.

Much as I like all the other Garuda spins, especially dr460nized, I really appreciate the KDE Plasma Barebones over the others. It’s as if it’s a brand-new Arch KDE install, ready to build upon, but with all the bells ‘n’ whistles+ of the underlying system already in place. Some of those items I’ve thought about installing, but never took the time to read-up on and implement them. I’ve never worked with CoW systems before, so that’s all new to me.

Linux, from the get-go, has always given me a fierce feeling of independence from any one operating system and most distributions. I used to “live” in the M forums as an example, because I ran Arch, which they introduced me to, and they were related. Same with EnOS and a couple other forums.

Other than freeing up a little space from unneeded drivers, etc. in Garuda (which don’t affect anything anyway), there’s not much I would change about it for my personal use.

When an estimated 90% of Linux distributions are simply new theming on somebody else’s already existing distro, it is extremely pleasing to see what Garuda developers have given us.

In a way–really, a major way–it’s as if my friends spun a distribution just for little me. :smiley:

15 Likes

Started using Linux since 1996, on Mandrake. I have used Garuda for evaluation, and recently decided Garuda is going to be my number 1 distro. The thought and skill that the Garuda group has put into their work is such a great thing. @Bro said it all better than I can.

Rock on Garuda!!

gary

12 Likes

Always love :heart: to read replies from @zoner and @Bro duo.

7 Likes

Gary’s a smart dude. I’ve learned quite a bit from him over the past several years. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I've been having strange problems with grub, I tried chrooting into Garuda from my other system to fix it, didn't work, it was a mess, I was ready to give up and reinstall. I managed to fix it in the end today.

I guess I just wanted to share that I'm glad to be back here on Garuda and this forum! I love this community :heart:

7 Likes

Just out of curiosity, had you installed grub customizer?

Just FYI, for those that like to use this utility it's not worth the major boot problems it can create.

There's nothing the app can do for you that you can't do yourself. In reality your far better off learning how to do this stuff without the shiny GUI. Some of the modifications it makes can persist even after uninstalling grub customizer.

For the Grub Customizer fans out there, you're playing with a loaded gun that has a hair trigger. GUI's may be nicer to use, but in this case you may be very sorry if you install this GUI app.

6 Likes