Nvidia drivers dont work

I recently had issues getting the 'nvida kernel module' to corrrectly build and install via 'dkms'. You can read the thread here...

Nvidia-settings ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

This takes a little explaining. But the short story is... I did what was suggested in order to get the nvidia kernel module to build/install --> sudo dkms autoinstall

But this resulted in an Error when the kernel tried to load the nvidia kernel module. I was then told that a problem was discovered with the 'pahole' package, and that I needed to upgrade my system and try again. So, I upgraded my system, which reulted in a downgrade to the 'pahole' package from 1.24 to version 1.23. Now, here is what needed to be done on my system in order to 'try again'.

1. First I needed to uninstall the nvidia kernel module that had been built with the 'bad' version of pahole. Then reboot the system. Then I had to build/install the nvidia kernel module again via dkms(with version 1.23 of pahole installed, by updating my system as I stated earlier). Then reboot. That was done with:
sudo dkms remove nvidia/515.65.01
sudo systemctl reboot
sudo dkms autoinstall
sudo systemctl reboot

I would recommend reading the thread I linked to, but this is the long story shortened. I hope that this will help you out. There is another person there that posted a thanks for the thread as it helped him solve his problem.

Regards

1 Like