Garuda started acting up, so I decided a fresh install was called for. System was freezing on start intermittently, I could live with it but it's still annoying.
I attempted to install using Garuda KDE Dr460nized, Xfce, GNOME, and Qtile. Each of these failed to detect keyboard or mouse input, this includes two different keyboards and two different mice. G413 Carbon keyboard, Reddragon mouse, and a cheap-o keyboard and mouse as well. I've looked in my BIOS, but I'm not seeing anything obvious blocking a USB, it's not in fast boot nor secure boot. Updated my motherboard BIOS. No joy.
Note that this issue has been happening for me for about a month. I have installed KDE Dragonized before, and tried to reinstall earlier. But ended up installing barebones.
That being said, Garuda barebones does detect keyboard and mouse. I just got sick of attempting to resolve various issues with it. I resolved the package conflicts, and the out of date keys / mirror issues, but that apprently wasn't enough for this most recent attempt. But I'm not here for that issue, I'd rather install KDE Dragonized. Or at least Xfce.
Arch installer, Sparkylinux stable, and Linux Mint Cinnamon (I'm currently using this) detect mouse and keyboard on the installer without issue.
Installing on M.2 nvme drive (nvme1n0).
EFI on SATA ssd (sda1)
Swap on sda2
Hrm. Found this, it sounds similar to my issue. I do the steps, or think I do the steps, and get something along the lines of “atkbd.reset not found”, before booting into the iso and getting the same no keyboard, no mouse results.
It looks like this is a problem related to the used kernel in combination to the specific BIOS (ACPI) implementation.
There are certain kernel parameters (search page for kbd) that might help override it. You can know, only if you try them, since it is a system specific issue, not general to all HW.
From the posted links, you may try for example adding at garuda grub extra parameters
So far I've:
Checked for more options in BIOS. Found out I could disable the keyboard/mouse from BIOS! I had to pull the CMOS battery to reset it after that one...
Used all of the suggested extra parameters, plus a few more I thought were worth a try. This includes mce=no_cmci mce=bios_cmci_threshold aipc noaipc
In addition, as a threat I added
echo "If you don't work I'm going to reinstall windows 10!"
I think it knew it was an empty threat. Also, I'm pretty sure my changes are going through because my threat appeared on the screen. I'm no longer getting the "atkbd.reset not found" error message. Apparently I was putting my parameters in the wrong location previously.
I put the echo below the parameters. I put the parameters in what is the second to last line after hitting "e" on the driver options (either open or proprietary). Previously I was putting the parameters on their own line, by themselves, at the end. I also didn't include "=1".
ISO checksum checks out.
Balena Etcher to write ISO
While I'm at it, this is my code.
setparams 'Boot with open source drivers' 'x86_64 lang=en_us keytable=us tz=UTC misobasedir=garuda misolabel=GARUDA_DR460NIZED_SOARING_ quiet systemd.show_status=1 systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1'
# set arguments above with the editor
linux /boot/vmlinuz-$2 driver=free nouveau.modest=1 i915.modeset=1 radeon.modeset=1 atkbd.reset=1
initrd /boot/amd_ucode.img /boot/intel_ucode.img /boot/initramfs-x86_64.img
echo "Things put here show up next screen for a tiny moment"
Italics / emphasized text was added. This is a free driver start, and I would add whatever other parameter where I put atkbd.reset=1
edit: removed emphasization because all it seemed to do, on my setup anyway, was put *'s around the added text, potentially confusing the issue.