Newbie needs help for installing Garuda on second SSD

Hi,
I have a new computer with multiple SSD. On my primary SSD I have already installed Win 10 and now I want install Garuda on an empty SSD (realy second SSD not a partition).
Last time (on my old computer) I have try this, a Windows update crashed my bootloader I think - so I could not anymore boot from my Linux Garuda drive.

I couldn’t even enter my BIOS anymore - wierde thing - the mainboard manufacturer logo - where I press DEL to enter the BIOS wasn’t even shown anymore - Windows starts immediately - was really strange.

This time I want be smarter, and I will ask how to do this probably bevor I start.
I have found this tutorial

but I think it is not exactly what I am looking for - because I attempt to uses 2 different harddrives .

Lastime I used also the balener etcher to create the live Garuda ISO, and I thougt I was safe, but unfortunately I was not.

I would be very grateful for step by step instructions - because the short time I could try Garuda I really fall in love with this distro.

I think you should have removed the hard drive containing windows in the previous old case.

*Garuda is optimised for working as a primary os.

Now, there should be no problem installing Garuda on 2nd ssd if you know your system.

Disable fast boot , updates , of windows.
Also if possible delete hybernation.sys
Restart

Just install Garuda on 2nd SSD (*nvme have some issues depending on bios )

All done then .....
Windows update will obviously tries to overwrite grub

3 Likes

The Calamares installer is self-explanatory and installation is a breeze.

If you still need help, check out the tutorial linked on the Garuda wiki. Garuda Linux (Gnome) Installation + Post Installation Steps - YouTube

4 Likes

did you mean do you mean the hiberfil.sys - the file where windows stores the sleep modes data?

1 Like

Easy, don't "Dual Boot" in the way, that the GRUB (the Linux bootloader) is replacing the Windows bootloader.

Do a totally separate installation on the other drive and let it install GRUB there.

Then, when you boot, you press the "Choose Boot Drive"-button (whatever it is, in your motherboard) and choose to where you boot from. Windows or Linux.

Like this, they are totally different entities and one doesn't bother the other.

On the GRUB side, you can even still choose to boot to Windows 10.

3 Likes