Multi-monitor start-up shows black wallpaper

I am using x86_64 Garuda on my laptop running the KDE lite version of Garuda. I am having an external monitor connected to my laptop via the VGA port.

When I start up my machine and log in, the wallpaper on the monitor side of the screen works fine. But on the laptop side of things it doesn't load anything. I am not even able to right click on the laptop wallpaper portion. The start menu and the docks all work fine. The wallpaper portion is the issue.

To fix this I disconnect and reconnect the VGA cable.. Shouldn't me or any other user be not worried by this?

I am willing to help you guys fix this issue.

TL;DR: VGA cable connected External monitor loads fine on start. Laptop screen wallpaper portion is black and un-interactive.

We use autorandr

1 Like

Can you check

systemctl status autorandr

2 Likes

Hello...
Sorry to hijack this, but in my Garuda (KDE Ultimate) service is disabled...
Although I use multiple monitors either at home or work...
I have seen this behavior a couple of times but not every time I boot my laptop...

Theodore

P.S Should this service be enabled?

1 Like

Yeah its for automatically selecting display configuration

1 Like

Hi! So these are the logs as of now:

autorandr.service - autorandr execution hook
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/autorandr.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)

This is how the screen looks: (the right black screen is actually uninteractive. No right click. Nothing)

However although I didn't show the left screen, it is working normally. Left screen is my monitor screen (secondary). Right screen is my primary laptop screen.

The service isnt active so enable it

systemctl enable autorandr --now
2 Likes

Enabled now. But still facing the same issue:

Here are the logs for the previous comand:

systemctl status autorandr                                                                      ⇣80.61 B/s ⇡0.11 KiB/s 192.168.42.125   47.29.192.144   100%  ─╯
● autorandr.service - autorandr execution hook
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/autorandr.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)

Sep 25 14:42:52 himu systemd[1]: Starting autorandr execution hook...
Sep 25 14:42:52 himu autorandr[425785]: Failed to load profile 'default': Profile not found (line 1413)
Sep 25 14:42:52 himu autorandr[425785]: autorandr running as user himujjal (started from batch instance)
Sep 25 14:42:52 himu autorandr[425767]: Running autorandr as himujjal for display :0
Sep 25 14:42:52 himu systemd[1]: autorandr.service: Succeeded.
Sep 25 14:42:52 himu systemd[1]: Finished autorandr execution hook.

Need a profil, read "man", I can't test it, I have only one monitor :frowning: :sweat:

man autorandr
NAME
       autorandr - automatically select a display configuration based on connected devices

SYNOPSIS
       autorandr [OPTION] [PROFILE]

DESCRIPTION
       This program automatically detects connected display hardware and then loads an appropriate X11 setup using xrandr. It also supports
       the use of display profiles for different hardware setups.

Autorandr also includes several virtual configurations including off, common, clone-largest, horizontal, and vertical. See the docu‐
       mentation for explanation of each.

OPTIONS
       -h, --help
              Display help text and exit

-c, --change
              Automatically load the first detected profile

-d, --default PROFILE
              Make  profile  PROFILE  the  default profile. The default profile is used if no suitable profile can be identified. Else, the
              current configuration is kept.

-l, --load PROFILE
              Load profile PROFILE

I am sorry for the late reply. But this is the forum post where the best solution is to do a resolution change on the black monitor screen. But everytime I restart, it is cumbersome to do so.

I don't want to open a new thread. But how to update to the latest KDE? The latest beta version has major changes.

I am having the same issue. However, I noticed that autorandr is not being used in the Dr460nized edition, so I'm not sure how to fix this issue.

Is it enabled?
Is it about an installed system or installer ISO?
Check:

systemctl status autorandr
3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Multimonitor issue black external screen on login