Modernize and optimize design of the website

Hello! I love some aspects of the current website, but I think there are many other parts that could be improved and modernized. The layout is generally inconsistent in terms of spacing, contrast on some elements makes it hard to tell that some are buttons, and in general, I believe the website could do a greater job at showcasing the features of this wonderful distribution. Does anyone else agree?

I’ve read over a fair amount of the websites code so far, and it seems like it could benefit from a significant refactor, which also provides the opportunity to use a framework like react. Is there any interest in doing so?

I have a significant amount of experience in web design and development, and would be interested in implementing changes related to what I’ve outlined above. Before just making a PR, I’d love to ensure that it has the potential to be accepted, that there aren’t other efforts in the works (if there are, can I help?), and if there are any specific guidelines or people who should be consulted.

4 Likes

If I remember correctly, you are now at least the third person with this suggestion.
So far, no one has finished it, or even started it.
Since everything is a matter of taste, there can be no guarantees regarding the changes.
So far I like the site, but I have nothing against improvements :-).
What does our web designer @Naman think about?
But I insist that at least the eagle’s head will not be replaced. :smiley:

How to Contribute?

You can browse through existing issues or open a new issue and submit a PR to fix that issue. For detailed information read our contribution guidelines

7 Likes

Yup! As pointed out already, there were multiple people suggesting this already and I agree that we could make it more modern :slight_smile:

The last issue can be found here:

It’s certainly a good idea to talk about the general ideas before creating the PR, so we are on the same page concerning things and no time gets wasted.

8 Likes

Absolutely! Sounda like it might be valueble to create a Figma or something to collaborate and agree on design changes. Although I guess that should be discussed and coordinated by Naman?

1 Like

As for design choices and general structure I’m in, for choosing framework/technologies I’d indeed ask @Naman. Best thing to do is probably creating another issue in which we track and coordinate everything :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve made a little redesign of the landing page to show the general direction I was thinking. Certainly not complete, of course. The general goal was to make things more consistent, contrastful and clear.

3 Likes

OMG :slight_smile:
FireDragon or me?

Uh oh… we can’t open that file

We can’t open this file because WebGL isn’t supported, or is disabled, in your browser. If your browser supports WebGL, check out this help article to find out how to enable it.

FireDragon or me?

Not sure I understand

Uh oh… we can’t open that file

Works in every browser I try. Not sure what you can do to fix that, sorry.

2 Likes

:frowning_face:

2 Likes

Firefox works :wink:

It works perfectly fine in Firefox, Librewolf and Floorp for me :confused:

1 Like

In Librewolf it seems enabling WebGL is needed for viewing this site.

2 Likes

Commented on the GL issue willing to collab on this also since I have some experience in web devel. I like the Figma designs (works in Brave as well), some collab with the issue’s OP could definitely serve to be fruitful!

Edit: Once I figure out how to migrate my stuff over to GitLab, you’ll be able to find them there. Most of my stuff is on GH since that’s what my school had me set up. I’d like to eventually be able to mirror my repos to GH (for future employers I guess… It seems some employers seem to have a preference to GH over GL. Correct me if I’m wrong).

2 Likes

WebGL is off by default in firedragron or generally any privacy focused browsers.

3 Likes

Just checked out athenaos.org. Haven’t looked at what portion of the site you worked on, but it looks good! Would you like edit permissions to contribute to the Figma?

I’m a react dev, and although Naman mentioned previously that a more complicated framework isn’t necessary, I can see a ton of value in using JSON or higher level formats to make writing changelogs, blog posts, contributor descriptions and releases significantly easier and less technical. Sveltekit was mentioned also, but I think react would be a better choice (I am biased, of course). I don’t have any experience with Angular or Astro like you.

I’d like to eventually be able to mirror my repos to GH (for future employers I guess… It seems some employers seem to have a preference to GH over GL. Correct me if I’m wrong).

I believe GH is more used, yeah. Mirroring is a good idea

2 Likes

Any other thoughts on the design? I want to make sure it’s in the right direction before proceeding, although of course we have to wait for Naman

1 Like

Primarily syntax differences is the big thing. I’m in the early stages of learning React for some non-profit dev work I’m doing, though I’ll admit it’s pretty early on.

You can give me edit permissions if you’d like, sure!

2 Likes

Just a suggestion maybe make the donate button more front and centered or colored and then be set up some what like thunderbird the more stream lined. The less likely one is to pass cause they think its a hassle due to to many steps/ click boxes. But that’s just an idea.

1 Like

permissions sent :slight_smile:

1 Like

No need :slight_smile:
It is wonderful if users want to contribute to the running costs of Garuda Linux, but the indication that it is possible should be discreet.

If possible, the eagle’s head should not be covered :slight_smile:

2 Likes