Linux & Tech news šŸ“°

Iā€™d say the best way to avoid issues is avoid updating until you have seen feedback on if any updates cause issues for nvidia gpus

1 Like

My experience with nvidia is not very poor , the only thing that is annoying is that i can't use prepriotery nvidia drivers as for sway WM it has opensource drivers only , use of open source driver is not any problem as the only things that i only do on my laptop is practicing python in nvim or running MySQL server or updating system ,
I can't do any other thing as all the day i am busy and always out of my home .

But no availability of preprietry driver annoys when after some 1 or 2 months i feel to play any game so i download and it doesn't runs properly due to not enough performance of opensource drivers. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe not so much news, but rather a discussion topic: Where is Linux? ChromeOS is Garbage imo. It behaves like Linux, but worse - Buying a Chromebook was a BIG MISTAKE - YouTube

(Offtopic channel would be neat :wink: )

9 Likes

hum....

wont listen to a track record proven idiot youtuber, won't give him not even one single click more than i unfortunately already gave.

linux is here: Linux | Madaidan's Insecurities

2 Likes

Gotta love a good Linus Tech Tips video. Makes tech videoā€™s actually entertaining haha. Watched him on his second channel fighting lately which was cool. Make sure to check out his tour of an Intel factory. Blew my mind whatā€™s in one of those!

1 Like

What's supposed to replace openSUSE Leap has its first alpha release.

3 Likes

they will invent vms running containers of vm's in the METAVERSE running containers inside vm's before finally admiting that nixos is just better!

4 Likes

me too running nvidia drivers like a top my trusty toshiba tecra laptop. I said that by mistake this intel driver under my hood.

We have containers, we have VMs but where did metaverse come from? :rofl: I am not planning to try it soon but from the feature list (Self healing? WHAAAT?) it really looks like the Android/iOS of Linux distros.

Donā€™t really know for sure, but probably ā€œSelf Healingā€ is buzz marketing speak to ā€œuse old version if new container version doesnā€™t ping aliveā€.

3 Likes

Plasma 5.27 is determined to be the last Plasma 5 release. 5.26 will be released in a few days, 5.27 should be released in a few months and be a LTS release, if things happen as expected.
Then we have Plasma 6.

2 Likes

And maybe time for me to switch to GNOME for a bit.
:wink:

1 Like

Does it get buggy with a new major release? I was itching to try i3 actually. I'll probably hate it, but i'm curious nonetheless.

Usually there are a few new bugs, a few fixed bugs and fresh features with a new release (ie. 5.26), then bugs get ironed out with point releases (ie. 5.26.1) then there is another release, rinse and repeat.
For example the big fix of 5.26 is support of non blurry scaling Xwayland apps on Wayland.

1 Like

Ask other ā€œearly adoptersā€ of Plasma (3, 4, 5) for their experience. Iā€™ll probably wait for at least the first point release, 6.01ā€¦or maybe even 6.1. And theyā€™ll probably be porting KDE applications over to 6 for some amount of time, if the past is any clue.

Besides, I havenā€™t run GNOME full time for a few years. Not without major cussing, anyway. :smiley:

regards

2 Likes

this will be nothing like the plasma 3 ā†’ 4 move.

already almost half of the components can be built with qt6 today: https://iskdeusingqt6.org.

the most pressing issue with qt6 today is the lacking of a ā€œbreeze themingā€ā€¦ fusion is very ā€¦ erā€¦ not my style.

2 Likes

Updating goodies...

Looking for a laptop that runs well on linux mojo?

AMD's recently updated P-state EPP driver for Linux-based computers delivers a good boost in CPU power efficiency...

If youā€™re looking for a smart, distraction free text editor for Windows, macOS, or Linux, check in with Ghostwriter. Now Part of the KDE family.

7 Likes

Thanks for those links @RodneyCK . However, I was disappointed to see no AMD powered laptops in your "best of" review. Should not have at least a couple of AMD offerings have been included?

8 Likes

Rodney gives us all of that news, yet you complain? Who are you? The fat lady at the all-you-can-eat buffet who says, "this food tastes terrible, and there ain't enough of it," hmm?
:rofl:

(sorry; just a little edible-inspired humor)

4 Likes