Linux & Tech news šŸ“°

I can already see it, the new generation of cryptominers ready to seize the moment

3 Likes

Interestingly, PM of India, is going to inaugurate blockchain based degree at elite technical college in India, IIT Kanpur

But to be honest, I don't like the idea of cryptomining at all. We are using electricity, and top notch GPU, to create checksums and all that. I don't see any point in that.
Only thing most people are attracted towards is profit and money.

4 Likes

Yes. I agree. I tried crypto mining a while back to learn, but then realized that the true profits were to the hosters of the mining pools, because of automatic donation.

2 Likes

This is all true, but blockchain is a technology, cryptomining "only" a bad application of it...

6 Likes

Some fun linux tidbits today...and to kick it off, a look at linux vs MacOS. I forgot Apple implemented their evil big brother "catch-a-predator" software that is actually another means of spying on you and your photos. Chilling.

Distros releases to watch in 2022! One of them mentioned in this piece, I have my eye on, called Nitrux Linux, not because of the distro itself, but because of the new Maui desktop. It is a beauty and if you want a taste of it, try out 'Index' file manager in the repos. It is one of the best looking file managers I have ever used with a logical layout. There is a project underway to port the whole desktop system to Arch.

Cutefish desktop is also another worthy mention, available now on CutefishOS (beta) however, it was added to Arch a few months ago, and is built on QT/KDE.

More on Maui here.

And here.

Good news for KDE laptops and their batteries on Wayland...

And lastly, some interesting facts and trivia regarding KDE.

5 Likes

I dual boot macOS and Garuda and I know Apple patched it in macOS. They also patched their icloud web services. I wonder if this affects Garuda at all?

catching up to old comments:

I think he means startpage of garuda, not startpage "the search engine".

Self hosting whoogle is self defeating, since at that point, its all coming from the same "network". It only makes sense, when lots of people use the same Whoogle instance, so that google cannot determine the behavior to some identity.

1 Like
9 Likes

I guess you simply can't please everyone. The comment on your last link regarding our Gnome edition is a perfect example. The user was complaining that our Gnome edition is too vanilla.

I guess the user would rather that their Garuda install self-destruct at the next major Gnome update. Either way we get blamed for Gnomes inflexible development approach.

Perhaps we would have been better to have just dropped Gnome entirely as was contemplated before we switched to a more vanilla, less breakage prone version.

Proving once yet again, some people are never happy. Whadya expect for nothing? Fork your own version of Gnome if that's not good enough for you, or complain to the Gnome Devs responsible for the inflexible development decisions they make. :confounded:

11 Likes

Right, and if GNOME suits his taste, then he misses Deepin :smiley: with dragon flavor :wink:

8 Likes

Its not a guess, you simply canā€™t!
And you shouldnā€™t try!

for Portuguese readers: E no Caminho da Vida...: O Homem, o Menino e o Burro

2 Likes

Well, to whom it may concern: I love the current Gnome edition of Garuda, so thanks for that. I must admit the Cinnamon edition sounds tempting too.

I like your Gnome edition and use it everyday. I like how it is setup, and the fact that I can add extensions to modify it how I see fit.

2 Likes

New KDE drops today....

And KDE roadmap for the future...

10 Likes

and plasma git enter into ā€œsoft feature freezeā€ :slight_smile:

5.24 is gonna rulez ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

lol plasma wayland isn't working too well for me. If I launch garry's mod, the game has like a 30% chance to kill the xserver so badly that not even sysrq stuff works to recover.
I have to launch the game without fullscreen to circumvent this, but it's still annoying

I am all about the KDE goodies! :shopping:

2 Likes

well, I can't say about "garry's mod", dunno the game.

but what I do, it does very well. haven't used x11 in ages nor have any need to go back to it.

its all x11 free, even sddm. although, xwayland its still needed. hopefully this is the year of the "wayland wine"

Iā€™ll drop this little bird right here :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

You may have noticed a lot of Pipewire updates recently. Here is a rundown on the fixes...

3 Likes