Linux & Tech news 📰

4 Likes

So Fedora is clinging to Gnome 41, (insert long, drawn-out sigh here,) but remains on KDE 5.22? Um, kay.

Tapping my grinch finger on the Arch logo

4 Likes

I have more hope of both Microsoft becoming a linux and opensource company and google becoming the white knight of user privacy than redhat allowing kde to outshine its “baby”.

10 Likes

New KDE Goodies dropping sometime today....

4 Likes

Michael Catanzaro announced today the official release and general availability of GNOME 40.5 as the fifth maintenance update in the GNOME 40 desktop environment series.

1 Like

There are at least two non-commercial VPN's I know of - RustUp and Calyx. One is advertised for activists, the other is from a cybersecurity university.

7 Likes

Interesting and good for them... dropping Gnome like a hot pocket for a home brew, smart.

6 Likes

Get your tool belt on...

More goodies, and in this one, it paves the road for compatibility to run Wayland and XWayland software like Wine/Proton games on Wayland.

XWayland 21.1.3 Released With Support For NVIDIA's 495 Driver GBM

5 Likes

Informative piece on Firefox's fall from grace and alternatives...

I recently abandoned Firefox on all my devices for Brave. Here is what made me switch...

And this.... :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

google translate :
After the last versions on Virustotal recorded increasing finds again, 1.0.59 stands at 4/60, ventoy 1.0.60 shoots through the roof with so far 13/60 (!) Scanners.

I'm not going to contact the programmer again just to read stupid stuff. The program itself is top-of-the-line, it is constantly being expanded, but something like this prohibits itself, or more precisely, the programmer himself declares it with his excuses, which reveal a massive technical misunderstanding, as potentially dangerous and not usable.

The scanners are currently striking again with Windows versions, but not yet with Linux versions. The question is, of course, how the scanners on Virustotal test Linux software at all - there have already been findings - how this is to be assessed. However, when a programmer works so carelessly and comfortably, one has to accept it altogether. And he will not rewrite the code for the respective OS completely and separately, but rather compile it in an OS multiOS and copy it in the LAN.

It is expressly warned against the use of Ventoy.
axbase.net

1 Like

Is this the dicey outfit that also finds “concerns” about everything in Linux distributions?

1 Like
7 Likes

It looks pretty open, IMO. :wink:

5 Likes

:eyes:

8 Likes

What is the threat exactly?

Very nice of the NSA to fund that study. :rofl:

3 Likes

i think no threat there i think fp ..i only post for information .i still use it .

Firefox releases a sketchy app to collect your emails, errrr... I mean, to protect your email account. I mean, how long before websites ban their email address for sign-up usage? :man_shrugging:

Sounds more like a Google move to get those email accounts to me. And, ...and....they spent valuable development time on THIS, you know, instead of things like REAL privacy and faster browsing. :exploding_head:

5 Likes

It's sad what became out of this company, basically just another hook in Google's machine now. At least we can still fork the browser with no telemetry... but it's good to explore alternatives in case that is taken away...

10 Likes

I already brushed the snow off my Polar bear and ready to go back to snail mail.

4 Likes