Linux & Tech news 📰

theia is by no means a new contender on the market, as a matter of fact it’s been around for quite a while.

I’ve tried it and it’s not quite as neat as vscode. All extensions need to be defined in a config file and it’s generally not quite as easily extensible like vscode. Definitely great for an online coding platform, but not so much as a self-hosted private code editor. I had to switch to the vscode server project.

2 Likes

I think the news here is that they’ve released a new IDE under the Theia name that is cross-platform.

I’m currently stuck on VS Code as I work across different machines and the sync is helpful. It’s hard to break away from it.

From the article:

But, many might’ve forgotten that among their vast range of projects, there’s also the Eclipse Theia platform which was introduced back in 2017. It was meant to be a stable base to develop new IDEs, and IDE-like products for both cloud and desktop.

In a recent announcement by EclipseSource, a long-awaited cross-platform IDE based on Theia has been introduced under the “Theia IDE” name, which marks a new chapter in the development of IDEs at Eclipse.

1 Like
5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Contentious issues better discussed in the lounge

5 Likes

Wait until you find jetbrains IDEs. Used to be a vscode user until I found Webstorm for Typescript development :grinning: though, for languages not directly supported VSCode is still hard to beat due to all the plugins.

1 Like

Aren’t one of those ones you have to pay for? I’m too cheap at the moment to pay for an IDE when VS Code is available. Lol Maybe once I move to an engineering role I can invest in that. Would love a TS focused IDE at some point though. About to start learning Go/V though as I want to create desktop applications. I should learn QT at some point though. :thinking:

This is the reason why I’m stuck haha. Sooo many plugins.

1 Like

Yes. But afaik you can request a free license if you’re doing open source only with it. I’m having a students license currently… :smile: but yeah, the convenience it brings is huge. I didn’t think it to be that big before I ended up using it daily at work as well.

1 Like

Is that for any Jetbrains IDE or just Webstorm?

Note: Because we are (slowly) working on an Angular revamp to the Garuda website. :nerd_face:

Special licenses aside, there’s a community edition of IntelliJ: JetBrains Products Comparison, containing quite some features out of the box. It might be a bit much if you’re not a java developer, but many plugins can be disabled.

1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes

Not really new news but, some South African laws are more advanced than other countries.

South Africa’s strangest court ruling about video games

3 Likes
1 Like

Not really new, but very interesting.

THE FABULOUS WORLD OF MATHEMATICS: With the discovery of Ceres, Gauss laid the foundation for AI The young Gauss became famous when methods he developed predicted the trajectory of an asteroid. Today, they lay the foundation for, among other things, artificial intelligence. Datenwissenschaft: Gauß begründete mit der Entdeckung von Ceres die KI - Spektrum der Wissenschaft (German language)

2 Likes

A ton of benchmarks…

4 Likes

No more boot loader: Please use the kernel instead

8 Likes

The file was released in a 45.6-gigabyte .zip archive using leaked records from sites like X (formerly Twitter), AdultFriendFinder, MyFitnessPal, LinkedIn and Adobe.

The top two impacted brands are Chinese-based companies that far surpass other online companies.

They include 1.5 billion from Tencent - a tech company that provides internet services - and 504 million from social media platform Weibo.

3 Likes
5 Likes

NOT NEWS:

3 Likes