Linux & Tech news 📰

Unfortunate turn of events, Re: Gnome and FSF. :frowning_face:

5 Likes

I just use random generator from keepassxc, and copy my passwords everytime. But for essential stuff, I have it in my head too

1 Like

I use Adguard DNS, hblock, custom hosts file, ublock origin and sponsorblock. I'm almost invincible :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Well, Advanced Media Encoding is a thing. But that doesn't mean that it's supported in Kdenlive :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not something I imagine too many here will run into, but interesting...

It's always the details that get you... :grin:

3 Likes

Don't tell anyone 😉
8 Likes

I am still waiting for the garuda versions based on debian :rofl:

I expect to be in the minority--considering some of the strong opinions / preferences expressed by many here--but I am excited to see Fedora 34 (Beta) and Ubuntu 21.04 (Beta) have been released.

Fedora 34:
5.11 kernel
Gnome 40
Wayland
Pipewire
BTRFS by default
Simple to setup BTRFS + encryption

Ubuntu 21.04
5.11 kernel
Gnome 3.38 (w/ gnome 40 apps)
Wayland
ZFS as an easy 1 click option in the installer
ZFS + native encryption makes it a 2 click process (and at least one benchmark has shown it to outperform ext4+luks which is impressive)

I am excited to see more major distributions beginning to adopt (or at least allow as supported options) modern CoW filesystems. I'm a simple end-user :smiley: so most of the complexities are lost on me, but the end result of simple snapshotting and easy rollback, send/receive, and so on, are great to have.

I've never actually used Fedora before, but I'm thinking it might be time to give it a try, probably on my laptop, which is currently running Ubuntu 20.04, ZFS. I think Gnome is a good fit for laptops. I'll stick with Garuda + KDE and EndeavourOS + KDE on my desktop for now.

3 Likes

Always excited by what Fedora has to show! The only other base distro i'll ever think of using!

(Ubuntu not so much :wink:)

2 Likes
3 Likes

Wait linux can get :microbe: I thought only windblows get :microbe:

Bugs are every where, in every software. Propriety softwares hide most of them, so there are a lot of undiscovered Vulnerabilities in Propriety softwares.

Open source softwares, especially famous ones, have an advantage that bugs can be ironed out as soon as they are reported.

So, oss have a way too much less Vulnerabilities/ bugs than propriety softwares.

5 Likes

Dunno if anyone caught it, but Arch Linux once again has a built-in installation script. This is almost old news. It started with the January ISO, apparently. :slight_smile:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Arch-Linux-Does-Archinstall

"Five minutes or less and off to the races, ready for Arch Linux."

It works fine for, say, Ext4, but you'll want to create the appropriate @subvols subsequent to installation if you go the BTRFS & snapshots route.

7 Likes
6 Likes

From your post: "RMS has spent years on a campaign against using people’s correct pronouns. This is poorly disguised transphobia."

Or an unwillingness to conform?

:rofl:

6 Likes

Well now it makes sense why he was fired from the bored of directors.

But I don't think that it would be successful with Nvidia's current proprietary approach.

4 Likes

Well now my cpu wont work with arch intel FTW!

Not exactly tech news but might come in handy :eyes:
Found on Reddit (higher res) :smile:

12 Likes

I guess this can be handy on our wiki :eyes:

6 Likes