Linus and Luke from Linus Tech Tips are switching to Linux as a challenge!

:astonished:

I understand Manjaro is a newbie prefered Arch distro, but I canā€™t get past the package holds and consequently, the greater potential to break AUR as a result. They really need to discover Garudaā€™s KDE Gaming Editionā€¦GUI heaven! That just screams easy for newbies like them.

2 Likes

Even though I agree with Arch being hard for newbies, pure Arch wouldve been a better choice from the gaming point of view :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

As I stated earlier, I think most reviewers wanting to provide an unbiased opinion on if an Arch based distro is suitable for unsophisticated users will give a thumbs down. Unless the user is an experienced Arch user there's just going to be too many speed bumps along the way.

If you enjoy the challenge of bending your system to your will, then Arch and its derivatives are great. However, recommending that for new Linux users is a completely different thing, (as the learning curve is steep).

Face it, most reviewers are not catering to experienced Arch users as their target audience. Inexperienced users will struggle with learning how to run Arch based distros without issues. That generally is not going to result in glowing reviews for a rolling distro based on Arch. Arch is a horse of a different color that requires taming, and most new users simply aren't up to that challenge.

Most users barely know how to turn their computer on these days. Arch is simply too much of a culture shock to recommend to those looking to install an easy to use problem free replacement for Windows. That's what Mint is there for. Sorry, but that's my opinion on the matter.

7 Likes

I mentioned Garuda in comments, etc. I think it actually ended up on the poll. Garuda is probably one of the best options available for gamers right now in my opinion. Arch just makes sense for bleeding edge hardware, and Garuda makes it stupid simple.

IDK how i feel about the whole dragonized theme, but I'm giving it a shot on my laptop. Overall one of the better KDE implementations I've seen in a while. Garuda might just convert me to KDE. I'm a long time GNOME user.

KDE crashing every time I try to change some settings, is really starting to get annoying though. Reminds me of the early gnome-shell days. At least KDE seems to be stable after you're done playing and get back to work.

2 Likes

I agree, I have loaded up several just-released games and had no issues with them on Garuda. The GUI makes it easy for those newbies or new transplants. I really like all the powersave/performance settings. I have never seen all those in one place in any other distro. I was already using/familiar with all the gaming extras, but it is so nice to have them in an easy GUI form.

The only gamer suggestion I find missing is the option to switch out Wine for 'Wine-tkg-staging-fsync-git' which is a much better version of Wine for gamers, imo. I don't believe that option is yet available in the Garuda controls.

As far as KDE, it is most likely Latte-dock as the culprit. Most recently, it has been crashing a lot for me. I haven't had time to actually dive in and investigate. I switched out the normal KDE taskbar for the default Latte-dock one, just fyi. Other than that, I don't really have issues with KDE itself crashing. I use to like/use Gnome, but their devs have gone off the Apple/devise UI deep end...the lock-down OS. I just can't. Nope! :rofl:

I think those of you directly involved with Garuda and commenting here are selling yourselves short a little.

Though I appreciate your honesty and apprehension in regards recommending Garuda, I don't think you realise how high Garuda would rank for a new Linux user coming from Windows if they give it a good try out.

It is the only arch based Distro that (so far anyway) I've had very few problems with even just installing or booting up into after install.
The only issue being DisplayPort on my nvidia 3090 would not work in 1.4 mode after first boot up from install, switching to 1.2 manually on the monitor sorted it.

It has so many nice little extras and tweaks, nice finishing touches and it looks absolutely amazing. Albeit the default theme probably not to everyone's taste for sure, it's still really well done.

I'm a Linux noob and I've switched only recently enough, but I spent weeks, literally, Distro hopping to finally settle and be so happy with Garuda.

There is so much I miss from Garuda when I switch. I have a lot to learn still but I'm telling you now, from a new user to Linux on my desktop and switching from Windows, Garuda is bloody fantastic.

That might all go to crap after I update to latest nvidia drivers later but sure I can then try out the snapshot recovery and see how that goes :slight_smile:

Would fully recommend Garuda Linux.
PopOS and Mint come a distant second and third and Tumbleweed wasn't too bad but maybe a little complicated for new users.

3 Likes

To be clear it's only crashing when i'm trying to change settings. Adding widgets, etc. I haven't had it crash on me during regular usage. So I'm putting up with it for now. I know it's not a Garuda thing, it's happened on every distro I've tried plasma on. I haven't had time to dig into it and make sure a bug's been filed though. I know, I know, I'm a bad Linux user...

1 Like

so i was hearing the latest wan show, and linus is using manjaro apparently
he is all setup too

i actually was distro hopping quite frequently when i decided to dual boot, and the moment i live booted garuda linux, i knew it was the one. i fell in love with the neon theme and all the assist i got while setting up. plus the tag of "i use arch btw"
i tried moving to manjaro because i was having issues with nohang, but i couldn't. the themes i have here are just flawlessly implemented with the beautiful dock config

2 Likes

There is more to ā€œconsiderā€ when choosing Manjaro than themes.

OMG, who said that?

Look over there :point_left: :point_up: :point_right: :point_down:

1 Like

I (only somewhat) pity Manjaro, then.

1 Like

Choosing a distro based upon its theme is akin to choosing a marriage/life partner based solely upon their looks. Thatā€™s fine for a short term triste, but you need more than that for long term compatability.

11 Likes

@tbg Very deep but so true! :+1:

4 Likes

i guess i lucked out then, because garuda has everything. no issues so far, not to mention, i m not a heavy user especially, just use vs code, teams and a few other apps.

What does everyone think of Linus negative review of Linux? Honestly I kind of agree with him that Linux stability is over hyped, but it's customizability and privacy/security I think make up for that when compared to windows for me

I donā€™t think Linux stability is overhyped ā€¦ as linux the kernel.

the apps and desktopā€™s stability ā€¦ well, that is another issue :slight_smile:

3 Likes

true I should of been more specific thats why linux server is so rock solid stable (from what I hear never used it) its when you try to run a desktop and apps that you can have issues (ofc there are kernel issues sometimes but vary rare most of the issues I have encountered are in userspace(i think that would be a better term here?)). and I think linus and most people confuses the two

1 Like

they do. I think I can say that GNU/Linux is very stable! I donā€™t remember if I ever encountered a bug on the gnu utils. And I donā€™t remember also the last time I got a kernel panic. only issues I got with kernel in the last years, its the random x.xx.0 release that has some ext/bcache/btrfs/wireless bug which is quickly fixed.

the migration to wayland surelly didnā€™t help, and besides the stability, its a confusion and not really very easy ( is it xorg/xwayland/wayland app? its a snap, flatpak ā†’ no themes and other issues ).

and I am sure that by the time the ā€œuserspace and desktopā€ is stableā€¦ they will find it boring and break it all again :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah for me my issues on linux (i been using for about 10 years on and off 3 full time)is like oh this update messed up my sound and now I need to run some command or something or Im getting screen tearing or stuttering on my desktop (damm you nvidia) or game x is not working (but usually has a fix) very rarely have I gotten kernel issues and userspace issues where the kind of issues linus was running into (though some of them are stupidly simple to google and solve so i do wonder whether effort was made or not) but I do like the point they make in the wan show where linux desktop isn't for everyone and its not magic you will have issues just like on any other OS

As I stated from the outset a transition from Windows to Linux will generally end with a negative review if transitioning to a rolling distro based on Arch. It is almost inevitable, and that is why I was disappointed in his choice of Manjaro. Any Arch based rolling distro is too much for the average Windows user to manage without a steep learning curve and many speed bumps along the way.

If the point of the review is to ascertain if Linux is ready for the average Windows user as a daily driver the results are doomed to failure with an Arch based rolling distro. Most Windows users want a system that they can install and forget about. Arch and its derivative distros are the furthest thing from that.

Linux Mint is the natural choice for those coming directly from the Windows world. Most reviewers that have spent their life on Windows will give a thumbs down to an Arch based rolling distro. Itā€™s just too drastic a change to expect a great review. Inevitable IMO.

8 Likes