Linus and Luke from Linus Tech Tips are switching to Linux as a challenge!

May be that prodigy know what kernel is, I think :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Arch-based, yes, Arch, no. You all’ve become too reliant on such non-Arch things as Calamares, etc. You’ve either forgotten or have never really experienced Arch Archlinux.

Grade school beginners with no pre-conceived notions would do better than most of you spoilt ilk.

1 Like

Looks like Linus is using the KDE Plasma version of Manjaro on his stream on Twitch right now. He said he has been having a lot of issues installing things and getting dependencies.

From 20.47 worth a watch :grin:

3 Likes

The hate comment part tho 🥲

3 Likes

I don’t think I did. Our experiences may be different, but I would say that nobody “went to school” to learn to use windows 95 or 98 early on. They just did. It came with the computer and they learned it.
School is helpful if you want to switch. But being “default” and just working makes all the difference.

At the end of the day, people that use computers as tools don’t care!

I am thinking of “those years” and using them as reference points because I think that was when MS’s monopoly peaked. I think things are much better now. Maybe we are talking about completely different time periods and experiences. And yes, I was also taught linux ( taught being at almost introduced to it ) at school, and that was like last century. So, at least here, the schools isn’t much to blame.

About QA … no, I disagree. Linux and Linux distros are much better technology, for sure. But they tend to mess up from time to time in a way that even MS doesn’t.

Still … things now are much better now, but it still happens ( see opensuse glibc update a few weeks back … but of course, the problem is in the users, opensuse is perfect ( according to some master hackers on suse ) )
“Hey I bought netflix and this week I can’t watch it in my computer!”
And I love the common answer: “Its because of glibc you noob. Wait a few days or years, gets released when its done”.

I think its will be nice to see how they manage linux !
I remember a very long time ago how hard it was to learn :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

When I tried for the first time, I didn't get things fully either. Years after I stopped using it, it felt interesting. Took me some months to understand I could fix the system myself instead of reinstalling :joy: then, I went down the rabbit hole.. :laughing:

4 Likes

By the way @dr460nf1r3 , I read your AutoBiography book ( I mean your short about on your blog or somewhere ) and I am very impressed that in a couple of years, you got to linux and now you are doing garuda and chaotic. very impressive !!! ( would be more if you could compile kwin-git...but this pestering will get me banned :stuck_out_tongue: )

I would only hope you would try again gentoo ! ( I am here if you need any help... I will do 20 years on gentoo next year :slight_smile: )

I have a dream.... that one day librewish will say "STOP ALL THE PRESS! We are moving to gentoo!!"

I alSo have a dreaM

For me dreams are something that you can’t afford currently.

While wishes are something that you don’t have the capacity to do it alone.

6 Likes

This… is where I got stumped. The Rollback on garuda and the forum here was the perfect combination for me to start learning how to fix my own linux os. Backups were my friend, but also my nemisis. Not only trying to figure out an easy backup solution but also working with an installation that was causeing errors. I can’t believe where I started and had to re-install an os because of error that either I had created or some outside influence. The internet was full of solutions that may have worked for that person on a certain version of software.

2 Likes

heheh :slight_smile: don’t pay attention. Its just my “gentoo love” talking. :slight_smile:

you ( and team ) are doing a great job on Garuda!

3 Likes

I think the thing that MAY send them back to Windoze land is the gaming aspect. They stated in their video they have no idea what works and what doesn’t. Wait until they hit the DRM wall. With that said, a LOT of games now run on linux/Wine/Steam/Lutris. It may take some …finagling…for some titles, but it is so much better as of late, as long as you know what you are doing.

We will see. This “experiment” of theirs, will be interesting to follow. :laughing:

1 Like

On their latest WAN Show, Linus said Kate was his editor, so he must be using KDE. No idea what Luke is using. I too think the gaming aspect will present a daunting series of obstacles. Perhaps foolishly, I don't think that will kill their momentum. Because if you know where to look you can overcome those obstacles, and I have hope for some reason. :slight_smile: Edit: either way, I'm glad they're giving Linux more exposure, warts (or their take on those warts) and all.

1 Like

On their Twitch stream, Linus confirmed he was using Manjaro (with KDE Plasma), and Luke is using Mint.

1 Like

You sure he isn’t dual booting?
:wink:
</kidding>

4 Likes

An aside here, slightly off-topic:

Mint is great, just turned a buddy of mine onto Mint. He's worried about Win 11. Actually I turned him onto Garuda too because he's the kind of guy who asked "where can I read and solve problems on my own?" I pointed him to the Arch Wiki, but also recommended Mint since this is his first foray into Linux.

I explained that Mint doesn't need updating as frequently as Garuda, but he doesn't mind running the 'update' command daily. He'll make his choice and we'll go from there. I hope he chooses Garuda but hey, I'm sure whatever he picks he'll be happy.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Error: failure reading sector 0x2419580 from 'hd0'

well, unless the "Arch way" incorporates gentoo, bedrock and lfs there is still some room to grow

2 Likes

Based on what I've gathered from the live streams Linus tried Pop first, ended up nuking the system somehow, and switched to Manjaro KDE. Honestly for Linus' setup, he probably needs the newer kernel, etc. He has a very unique setup. I think Luke ended up going with Mint.

Waiting on the first video to hit floatplane. I don't think the first episode is going to be very flattering though. They've both been running into problems. Luke's a little upset he can't play the Battlefield beta. lol

3 Likes