Linus and Luke from Linus Tech Tips are switching to Linux as a challenge!

he did eventually switch to pop os though i think. but some of the issues he was having were trivial like they where having trouble with CEG games and they didn't know about the latest steam beta

1 Like

You have to really enjoy troubleshooting and enjoy working through technical challenges to be suited for Linux. Face it, that's just not for the average person these days. The Facebook/YouTube generation has an attention span about the equivalent of a flea, so that's just not a good fit, is it?

5 Likes

There is a lot he doesn't know, or hasn't explored in-depth to find the solutions. I find myself yelling at my screen every time I watch one of his videos...as he rants on about the problems with linux. I guess he is expressing the 'newbie standpoint,' and that is his objective, but it is frustrating when you know there are easy solutions. Again, a looking glass of what it is like as a typical 'just make it work' type Windows user experiencing linux. It is like bad reality TV, you know it is going to end up ....messy.

5 Likes

Exactly so!!!

5 Likes

tbh the same is kinda true for windows the difference is on windows you can pay someone to do it for you (through manufacturer warranties or the like) or you just reinstall a gazillion times god that was annoying when i would ask for help on forums and people would be like ā€œjust reinstall the osā€.

3 Likes

Too true. That is what a lot of people coming to Linux from Windows donā€™t understand. Linux is a do t yourself OS. If you donā€™t enjoy wrenching on your own stuff Linux probably isnā€™t for you. That goes doubly for an Arch based rolling distro because it requires even more hands on intervention.

Those who find the need to contact customer SUPPORT regularly for their computer upkeep would be better to stick with a commercial OS. Linux simply is not suited to some people.

5 Likes

OMG, I spent countless hours of s-q-u-e-e-z-i-n-g out the last Kb in himem.sys, config.sys, and autoexec.bat on low-powered desktop machines for no real reason at all. Then came Linux. I seem to recall being younger then; maybe in my 30s.

Iā€™m 69 years old now, and I wish I had that time back to spend it with my daughter, friends old and new, out in public, being of service to others, or camping/fishing along the creek. Iā€™m not saying I didnā€™t do all those things and more, but the real time I devoted was very shallow. Iā€™m not very motile now and can do very few of the things that brought me any joy.

I guess if I was writing a letter to my younger self, I would say; Ken, turn off that computer. Go do something worthwhile while you still can. Especially being of service to others. There is no higher calling.

9 Likes

dunno why you did itā€¦ 640kb of conventional memory is enough!!!
:slight_smile: ohh ā€¦ the choice of enabling tsr smartdrv.exe and having a ā€œfast diskā€ or get some 32kb more of conventional memory but super slow disk.

I still remember the kungfu I had to do to make wing command 3 run since it have very high requirements for conventional memory! ( i was a kid back then )

I think the same ā€¦ If only I didnā€™t ā€œmetā€ gentoo ā€¦ so much time wasted ā€¦ so many children unborn !

4 Likes

Well, yeah, gaming was a large part of my fiddling. I used to some how end up with never enough horsepower. Example: IBM 55-386sx, and that was a trade-up from a 286. And RAM was expensiveā€“couple hundred bucks per MB!ā€“ but it was required.

Helicopter combat games were my favorites. :wink:

For the new kids on the block on this forum: Gaming drives hardware development. Thatā€™s been true since Day 1, and continues to be so. This is factual.

Personal computing was just starting to spread back thenā€“hardly anyone had one, not even a work computer. The first thing anyone asked you was, ā€œdid you get any cool gamesā€ when they found out you had gotten a PCā€“even a work PC. This is anecdotal. But true.

Gawd I love 'Member Berries of early personal computing back in the '80s. Could go on all day, but this is so off-topic I should shut up. :wink:

4 Likes

Linus is becoming increasingly frustrated with Linux. Though many of his complaints seem to be targeted at KDE specific bugs, or just a lack of knowledge. For example, he stopped using Dolphin and switched to Nautilus because he thought Dolphin lacked ā€œopen as rootā€ support. Then becomes annoyed at the cohesiveness of his desktop because he chose to mix GTK and QT apps to gain a feature he already had in the first place.

Linux is far from perfect but with them navigating this transition without any input / direction from someone with Linux experience, is making Linux look worse than it actually is. Linus continues to go outside of what a ā€œnormalā€ or ā€œnoviceā€ user would do, becomes upset he needs the command line to get it done, then blames Linux for lack of GUI features ā€œnormal users needā€. He forgets heā€™s a power user, not a normal user.

Luke appears to be having a much easier time as a whole. But theyā€™re both trying to get games running on a platform they were never designed for, and theyā€™re going to run into problems there. No way around that.

The complaints Linus is coming forward with are not because heā€™s using Arch, but rather the issues that come about from shoehorning Windows applications and games into the platform, and his criticisms of KDE / what he believes to be lack of features in KDE (most of which is just his lack of knowledge).

4 Likes

So, basically what most typical Windows users do.

Make a clean break or why bother even trying?

3 Likes

i wouldn't put Windows applications and games into the same categories.

Linux usually has alternatives for almost every practical program out there, but Linux really doesn't have alternatives for the kinds of games people would want to play. (if it doesn't work that is)

Ah, they posted part1 of the challenge.

but to be very honest, I am not a fan of it, and some conversation brought this to my notice. He (my friend) told me that Linus mentioned Garuda Linux a couple of times, though he went with POP! OS

BTW, every time I see a mention of Linus Tech Tips, this video come to my mind.

6 Likes

I saw this video earlier today and I can finally see why he wanted to drop Pop OS after that whole Steam issue. Although it was his fault for breaking his system after THAT kind of system warning, having Steam in that kind of shape in the repo where it could be that nasty is a problem as well.

2 Likes

System76 at least patched the issue System76 patches APT for Pop!_OS to prevent users breaking their systems | GamingOnLinux

2 Likes

REALLY!!

I mean how much importance is given to a youtuber! Just because he have 14.1 million subscribers? Imo, it is insane!

6 Likes

And here I thought System76 had there hands too full trying to do what Gnome couldn't for them with a DE, lol. I guess where peoples' eyes are on them because Anthony from LTT months ago recommended Pop!OS, they really felt the heat to patch this.

Because no human being is able to solve the simplest things in life without the help of a YT video.
No one reads the man pages anymore.
Reading and writing is rather frowned upon where you can photograph and post everything.

6 Likes

And to add to the steaming heap of video help desks, they are taking their linux ques in this case from what would be considered a linux newbie. That is a fat pill to swallow.

1 Like

Hey, Youtube isn't so bad, Distrotube, Chris Titus and Techhut have taught me a fair bit about Linux. But yeh i wouldn't go taking advice from a random obscure backwater youtube and start inputting their commands.

1 Like