LFS chapter 4.4 final prepartions error bash: vi command not found

Hello.
I am Garuda beginner
I am making LFS on Garuda. I am currentla at chapter 4.4 Final preparations. There is command I should ran * source ~/.bash_profile* but when I ran it I got bash: vi command not found . Do you have suggestions how can I resolve this? Thanks for your answers and advices.

Why is this a Garuda issue? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Something is looking for vi; the easiest solution would be to install it.

4 Likes

I just wanted to clarify where I got that issue I mean I am making Linux from Scratch . Can you be more clear please ? What do you think is exactly looking for vi? How to find out?

Wouldn't this be better directed at LFS supports?

Did you look in ~/.bash_profile

1 Like

I don't know but it seems it's package problem in Garuda I mean some packages are missing i think.

That is nonsensical.

But you can certainly install vi. The package name is vi

1 Like

I just ran it I got permission denied

You ran what and got permission denied?

I don't know I am going step by step in LFS guide

I ran ~/.bash_profile

Why would you run it? I told you to look inside it.

If you don't know how to open a text file and read a basic shell script, you probably aren't ready for LFS yet.

2 Likes

Please provide the result from the terminal command

garuda-inxi 

We will be able to assist and see where your issue is linked to Garuda, whereas you mention LFS.
Thanksm

I looked inside and got -rw-r--r-- 1 lfs lfs 59 Jan 26 22:37 /home/lfs/.bash_profile It is what you need?

I got bash: command not found

I honestly believe that this is where you have most chances to post for LFS questions:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/

However, some people here in this community are still trying to help you.

1 Like

Thank you I appriciate that. I thought it would be correct to post here because I am making it on Garuda .

That is a directory listing. Look inside means open it up and see what is inside it.

Open it on a text editor. However, I don't need to know what is inside it.

You need to read and understand what is inside it. Once you do, it should be obvious what the problem is.

1 Like

I opened it it'¸s nothing secret there so this is what I got

~/.bash_profile

[[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] && . ~/.bashrc

The next step is for you to figure out what that line does.

2 Likes