LFS chapter 4.4 final prepartions error bash: vi command not found

Maybe your system is not up-to-date, or you do not use Garuda.

Instead of the asterisks, pack the terminal outputs between three ~ above and below the text.

Sample

# ~/.bash_profile

[[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] && . ~/.bashrc

If your goal is just to plow through this and get it over with, just use sudo pacman -S vi and you will get the package you are missing. Then you can continue on to the next step.

I looked through the chapters of the LFS manual, and you are pretty far through already. Just briefly skimming through some of the material, I gotta say it is pretty dense. Even for someone with a lot of experience working with Linux, thatā€™s not exactly light reading.

Donā€™t take this the wrong way, but based on your established lack of familiarity with basic Linux commands from reading through this thread I have to assume that you are just copying and pasting your way through the book. Not to be rude, but whatā€™s the point of that? It seems impossible that you will learn anything from going through the book this way.

If you arenā€™t even aware what the steps you are pasting page by page are doing, then really you are just going through the most drawn-out and inconvenient Linux installer possible.

No one here is going to tell you how to approach your Linux journey, but Iā€™m sure a few of us would agree that you might have bitten off too much to chew for a person new to Linux. It would be perfectly reasonable to step back from the LFS project and spend some time focusing on the basics of Linux for a while until you develop some chops.

Spend some time in the forums, read and learn and ask questions, try out some commands, install stuff, build stuff, break stuff, explore and have fun. Linux is supposed to be fun! :smile:

4 Likes

Well, if the gent gets this working, he will be pretty familiar with linux after :slight_smile: