[Latte Dock] The end of an era (designing a Latte-Dock free alternative dr460nized setup)

I was responding with the top panel edit as you were replying lol. Yes, the top panel does have the same issue.

Edit: Smaller is just my preference as I tend to add many, many launchers onto the dock for quicker access since I use so many programs constantly with programming, school, work, etc. I think the bigger size isn't bad at all if it's more in line with the Garuda theming as it was in Latte layout (which personally I think the bigger size is). If someone wanted to make a smaller dock, it isn't too many clicks away. :smile:

1 Like

Converting from a latte-dock setup to a plasma panel setup (as will happen to most existing dr460nized users in the next release) can now be tested by installing both garuda-dr460nized-next and garuda-system-maintenance-git on an existing system and then relogging/rebooting.

Paging @FGD and @dr460nf1r3 to this as well as @tusharhero

Edit: Garuda-system-maintenance was updated to version 2.0.0, installing garuda-system-maintenance-git is no longer required (neither is it recommended)

7 Likes

I’m not getting the bordered window highlighting illustrated in this picture. It wasn’t scrapped, was it?

This is a (relatively) recent Dr460nized install. This morning I:

• Installed garuda-dr460nized-next and garuda-system-maintenance-git
  • Uninstalled latte-dock
  • Added panel and dock
  • Changed global theme to Dr460nized
  • Logged out/in
  • Confirmed configuration indicated in wiki:
    – Global Theme = Dr460nized
    – Application Style = kvantum-dark
    – Plasma Style = Dr460nized
    – Colors = Sweet
    – Window Decorations = Sweet-Dark
  • Rebooted

Did I miss a step somewhere? The cursor in this screenshot is hovering over Garuda Welcome:

Screenshot_4

3 Likes

Installing a fresh copy of dr460nized this morning and will test in a bit.

1 Like

Nope! I suspect you aren’t on at least kde-unstable Plasma versions, which are needed as this is a brand-new feature :wink:

3 Likes

This is basically stock, except for the changes noted in the wiki (I just wanted to test it out). What's all this about kde-unstable? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

kde-unstable is a separate repository of Arch providing pre-release versions of KDE. It has to be placed before core:

[garuda]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/chaotic-mirrorlist

[kde-unstable]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Then the new effect not showing up is basically expected and there is no need to worry. Once the new Plasma gets released, it will show up automatically :yum:

5 Likes

Will the migration automatically uninstall Latte dock or do I still need to do that manually? @FGD

Nice one, after updating and logging out/in, the highlighting came up immediately. It looks great, snappy too! :grinning:

It does not uninstall Latte dock, nor does it set up the new dock and panel or change the global theme. Basically the wiki should be used for anyone manually migrating.

5 Likes

You haven't pushed the changes for the default sizes of the dock/panel yet, have you? I tested again on a fresh install, with garuda-dr460nized-next & garuda-system-maintenance-git installed as per @TNE 's guide here and added the second screen top panel/bottom dock, and the sizes are still showing differently than the default garuda-dr460nized-next package dock/top bar.

Edit: Also the default settings for Window Title and Window AppMenu did not set to current screen only by default.

Is there any way to adjust the padding of the bottom dock when a application is maximized (shown below)? The current padding seems a little "fat" to me. The dock is set to be floating by default, but when a window is maximized, it returns to this form.

If I remember correctly that is by Plasma design.

The only way I know to adjust padding is by resizing the height of the dock, which will eventually shrink or grow the icons so you need to remain within 2 sizes that fit best your taste. I know, there are a few areas where Plasma put some limitations compared to Latte and this is one of 'em.

No, just logged in for the 1st time today. I will look at that within a few days, but also I think there is a delay when a change is applied and the package is available for update in the repo. Never calculated that but it will be a good time to time it.

1 Like

Maybe eventually this could be a good upstream contribution we could make? I am going to try to get into the code side of Plasma/QT, and learn how to tweak/edit things. Never a good time like the present, right? :smile:

Yeah I wouldn’t think we’d want to do that. I mean, it’s not unusable in it’s current state, more of a preferential thing for look/feel.

Agreed! More data isn’t a bad thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Can you give another try with default config?

When I run at 1920x1080 this is what I get:

You sure your Button Size in AWC’s Settings is set to 6th notch from the left?
Also you sure you are using the buttons from AWC and not the former Window Buttons applet?

EDIT: I think I have an idea on this issue. When I maximize on one monitor I get this from the 1st:

And that into the 2nd:

EDIT2: Wow… just wow. It seems on the second monitor the Button Size has to be 1 notch LESS to equal the 1st monitor. For example if you have 0.6 on the 1st you need 0.5 on the second to have exact sizes match…Unbelievable, but I know how to address that, although totally non-intuitive.

There’s a lot we’d want to log at bugs.kde.org. :slight_smile: But anyone can open a wishlist there. They do have limitations based on the fact the framework in which Plasma Panel is built from is not the same as Latte, but if we don’t open anything we may never get what we’d like. That’s how we got the launcher hover feature!

3 Likes

I'll do some thinking through how I want that BR to look like, then go ahead and put that in. Sounds like a rabbit hole of how KDE functions underneath the hood is coming up for me, lol. I want to know how this framework works, the limitations, and how we can remove those limitations. I need to know. Lol Anything useful from those reports I'll report back here.

1 Like

Seems to work extremely well (why am I not surprised). It is very quick to apply the Theme.
You select NO in the kdialog prompt and you can select the Dr460nized Migration from the dropdown of System Maintenance within the System Tray. It brings the same kdialog back up for a second chance to perform the migration.

The HELP button sends right to the Wiki Migration page. I don’t see anything missing in that process, I did question myself about one detail but in the end I would have done it exactly as you did anyway.

Tnx TNE! :smiley:

6 Likes

Gotta monitor when the KDE update hits the Arch repos as we definitely need to deploy the migration to our repos. :thinking:

6 Likes

I removed Latte Dock previously a few weeks ago and just completed the 'Update' with garuda-system-maintenance-git.

So far so good :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I installed a small program last night to fix an issue with VLC after an update.
Nothing to do with Plasma etc.
But Octopi can up with a news item about updating pacman (sudo pacman -Syu base-devel).
There were 70ish updates a lot to do with KDE.
I did them all :slight_smile:
Still all good

If it helps

H

3 Likes