[Latte Dock] The end of an era (designing a Latte-Dock free alternative dr460nized setup)

That's true, I didn't think about the wallpaper change. You may have already mentioned it, but I could get lost in this thread. (it's happened already :sweat_smile:) How should I go about getting to the 5.26.90 package version to test this out?

1 Like

I followed Section 2.5.

1 Like

Sweet. I'll check it out, thanks @FGD !

1 Like

The latest version of garuda-dr460nized-next holds the 30% opacity on hover, so anyone with 5.26.90 and up will be able to use it. :slight_smile:
Remember 5.26.90 is still BETA packages for upcoming 5.27.

1 Like

I already have a question haha.

So when an application is opened on the bottom Plasma dock/panel, the rounded edges go away and become straight edges are returned back. Is this intentional, or is that something to report? Images attached below. Just signed up for NextCloud and not quite sure how to share videos at the moment.

Unopened application on the dock:

Opened focused/unfocused application on the dock

If this is how it's supposed to be, you can disregard lol. But I wasn't sure if the team wanted us to report things like this or what.

1 Like

Is it, yes (but not ideal). Your 2nd shot is the default Sweet theme, which is used by Dr460nized for the very most of the Dock and Panel.
The 1st shot is something I designed for the new launcher feature, so obviously there is no Sweet default (yet, or if ever). :slight_smile:

All this is part of my long term tweaking of the theme… have it more consistent, yet not too customized so that it would also be a lot more work to maintain. Trying to find a good balance for the Community and hopefully something that will keep Garuda stand out from others.

As a start it seemed the fully squared launcher hover was not that great, based on initial comments, this is why they are rounded now but the rest of the theme is not.

6 Likes

So the first and second shot are both with the Dr460nized theme in place, taken just a few seconds apart. I guess I was asking if the hovered running application was designed to be sharp corners when the rest of the applications that are not running are rounded, or if you were wanting/planning on rounding the running application hover highlighting as well.

Or I could've just misunderstood your response entirely. :smile:

I just reread your response, and I think I understand what you're saying now. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry I should have been clearer:

Your 2nd shot is a look that comes from the Sweet theme. Dr460nized theme is using Sweet theme for its base for the theming and REUSING many visual effects/colors. It is the Sweet Theme + tweaked a few things to make it called Dr460nized Theme.

So the opened apps are 100% from the Sweet theme, unmodified. You would apply Sweet Plasma Theme and you'd get that same pinky rectangle on opened apps.

It is by design (unique for Dr460nized Theme) that the hover effect on launchers are NOT squared. :slight_smile:

So long term yes I plan on rounding everything. If that will look good. 2023 will tell me! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Having experienced everything else that you and the team have done, I'm positive it will!

Good vibes for 2023 only!
Can't wait to learn more as time goes on how to jump in and help with things. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The bug that caused me to remove Latte may be fixed:

1 Like

We do have an article explaining the goal of the migration and why it was needed.
@FGD feel free to modify it as needed!

https://wiki.garudalinux.org/en/dr460nized-migration

This will be the article shown while:

1. Pressing the help button upon the migration prompt
  2. At the end of the migration

@TNE did some fancy improvements to our garuda-system-maintenance, which will be used to trigger the migration! :heart:

11 Likes

Just a thought, but could there be a guide on how to perform the migration from Latte to the Plasma panels in that migration document? It might help some at least get pointed in the right direction.

I'd be happy to create the quick guide to doing so if the team doesn't have the time to. I'd just need a wiki account created, and I could find time this weekend to create it.
I'll be playing around with and testing the migration a little later today to get more familiarized with it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That is the main point I want to revise on that wiki page.

Tell you what. Can you send me a DM with your txt and I will integrate it to the wiki after revision and where it’d fit in the page. If you’re happy to write one and I’m happy to save some time by not thinking about it from scratch, then we are all winners aren’t we? :smiley:

4 Likes

Sure thing! It'll be a little later today due to work meetings, but you'll have it in the next 24 hours. :slight_smile: Happy to be able to help out and take some of the load off you guys. You guys have a TON on your plate getting ready for the '23 release.

3 Likes

It’s literally either accepting the migration prompt or applying the global theme + disabling Latte startup. Though, having a visual guide might help some people, I agree.

5 Likes

This is actually pretty great. Being late on our first chosen release date because lots of things weren’t complete, that comes in very handy :blush:

5 Likes

I suppose it would mainly help newbies just getting started with Linux/Garuda coming into Garuda with Latte dock starting to break right off the bat. It would just be an "extra help" to those that need it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is that migration in Garuda Maintenance on the KDE-git branch? Just installed a fresh version on my test machine, and didn't catch the option in Garuda Maintenance off default install. I may have missed it perhaps?

Or is it in the

garuda-dr460nized-next

package?

This is related to garuda-system-maintenance package, I haven't checked at it at all yet so I can't comment more. But kde-git has nothing to do with this. :slight_smile:

1 Like