Lags on Firefox while playing chess

Hello friends,

I'm having a little bit of lags on Firefox while playing chess on lichess.org, specifically with moving pieces animation.
It seems to work fine using the Brave browser but i like Firefox so im trying to understand what can be the reason of it and how to fix it.

I also tried with a new Firefox profile (about:profiles) and disabled all of the extensions but still had the same lags.
up untill now i used Firefox on Manjaro OS and it was just fine.

Firefox version 83.0 (64-bit)
and Brave Version 1.15.76 Chromium: 86.0.4240.111 (Official Build) unknown (64-bit)

2 Likes

3 Likes

Also welcome to you :hugs:
There is one thing we do different - about:config presets which are inspired by privacytools.io & some other things such as activating webrender etc. If you want to know what exactly is used:
https://gitlab.com/garuda-linux/themes-and-settings/settings/garuda-browser-settings/-/blob/master/firefox/distribution.ini

You can try if its better without by removing (backup!) the file /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/distribution.ini and restarting Firefox.

cd /usr/lib/firefox/distribution
sudo mv distribution.ini distribution.ini.bak 
4 Likes

I moved the distribution file and it worked :grin:, do you perhaps have any suggestion as which lines may effect the behavior of the game in that way?

its probably has something to do with real-time communication but there are so many options and i never really messed with it before.

thank alot

It could possibly be anything, most likely the privacytools & user.js part below though. Some not privacy friendly things have been disabled to not allow sketchy stuff :slight_smile:
If you actually want to find out - trial and error :grin:

2 Likes

It seems to be because of line 24
privacy.trackingprotection.cryptomining.enabled=true

which is funny because that element protects from cryptomining and yet it makes the operation of the game laggy.

perhaps they are cryptomining and created an obstacle for those who use it (didn't found any mention of cryptomining not on site and not in github)

Thanks for the help :smiley:

2 Likes