Kernel installation with GPU

When installing a new kernel do you need to install nvidia drivers again?

If you use nvidia-dkms then no, the driver module will be rebuilt for new kernels and kernel updates.

If you use the pre-compiled module (e.g. nvidia or nvidia-lts) then you need to install the matching package for your kernel (if it exists).

3 Likes

I have started with zen (worked out of the box) and have now tried tkg-pds-zen and tkg-bmq-zen both I can't get the hybrid to load with optimus-manager. I am using the hybrid-nvidia-prime-dms one. How would I reinstall? When I try through the garuda-settings-manager it says:

Starting

Removing video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-dkms-prime-render-offloading...

Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf

Has lib32 support: true

Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-dkms-prime-render-offloading/MHWDCONFIG

Processing classid: 0300

Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300

checking dependencies...

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)

:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by nvtop

:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by python-py3nvml

Error: pacman failed!

Error: script failed!

Done ...

Hmm linux-tkg-pds-zen is for ryzen cpu

Do not use them on intel it might not boot

3 Likes

I don't know enough to correct you other then saying that it is running on my Intel I9750 faster than the zen kernel I was originally installed with Garuda.
I thought the zen kernel was just a kernel made for performance over a regular kernel. That the zen kernel has no relation to AMD's Zen labelling.

I also don't know the difference from cfs vs pds vs bmq vs .... anything else.

linux-zen has the Zen patchset. It has generic optimisations for all modern CPUs.

Confusingly, linux-tkg-pds-zen (along with other similar packages) is optimised for Ryzen Zen 1 CPUs. You may see better performance on an Intel CPU with a kernel optimised for the specific microarchitecture.

4 Likes

Thanks for correcting me. Which linux Kernel with zen would you recommend? for an Intel I9750.
My search isn't really turning anything up.

5 Likes

when I run that command in konsole I get this error

fish: $(...) is not supported. In fish, please use '(gcc)'.
sudo pacman -S linux-tkg-bmq-$(gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march |head -1|awk '{print $2}'){,-headers}

Then execute

It is written already in the error itself, that in fish, we don't have to use $ :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Your solution worked wonders. Skylake is the one I needed, I guess. Also the Hybrd GPU worked as soon as it booted. So that must mean that it is working. Thanks.

1 Like