Issues regarding latest garuda-update on AMD Hardware (Loading loop linux-zen & initial ramdisk) [GRUB Related?]

Hello, I don't post often on this forum, as I've had an exceptional experience with using Garuda Linux (Talon) Dr460nized Edition.

Nevertheless, I've encountered an issue after updating and restarting my machine. I use the garuda-update command on a weekly basis, and been doing so ever since. Never have I been unable to boot up and access the main OS when using Garuda.

NOTE 1: I cannot access the OS itself, only the Boot screen (previous snapshots don't even seem to work when entering them); therefore going into the konsole and pasting information via garuda-inxi is not an option.

Because I can't do so as described above, I've been looking for topics related to this issue on both Garuda forums and Arch wiki. I found some discussions with solutions provided, most of which mention somehow switching the zen kernel to just Linux. Regardless, I'm still lost and have no idea what to do - concerned that I would make the situation worse.

NOTE 2: I have Linux LTS enabled, so I don't know if there's a workaround for entering the OS without facing a loop. Also, my machine is strictly built with AMD in mind, so no driver issues AFAIK - and I do not dual boot any other OS/distro on my machine besides Garuda Linux itself. One thing I noticed after updating, was that the last lines on the konsole registered that the system took about 2 minutes and 30 seconds to update (nearly a minute shorter than usual from my experience).

Note 3: I don't think this issue has anything to do with GRUB, though correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also unsure if this issue has any relation to BIOS updates/motherboards in general, both of which I never mess with.

On the flip-side, I hardly touched Garuda ever since as far as installing/saving anything considered important - though I doubt this issue is anything dramatic, since I can still access the boot screen and (I'm hoping) the OS itself doesn't seem "broken".

For what I have been using my machine for (as both an enthusiast workstation and casual gaming rig), Garuda Linux has not let me down and I really don't want to encounter such an issue again if unresolvable.

Any sort of feedback would be much appreciated..

Best,

How exactly?
Try booting with nomodeset parameter, hopefully you should reach a GUI and troubleshoot from there.

BTW, you mean snapshots?

Could the current GRUB debacle have anything to do with this?

2 Likes

What I suggest you could do is:

• chroot into your system with a live USB, either using the relevant tool in the Garuda Welcome or with this manual procedure https://forum.garudalinux.org/t/how-to-chroot-garuda-linux/4004 (only the initial part where you chroot into the system, not the grub installation).
  • from inside the chroot, get and provide your garuda-inxi :wink: and perform a garuda-update. This might solve possible problems in your previous update, but will also install the recently downgraded grub version from our repo.
  • to be honest, I don't know if reinstalling the grub into your system (the second part of the tutorial, or also with the tools in the iso) would be necessary at that point, I guess so, but you anyway could try exiting the chroot and rebooting normal before, to see if you have any positive effects. If not, repeat the procedure to install the grub in your system.
3 Likes

From inside the chroot, so we get updated information on your system. Being the chroot done in a terminal session of the live session, you can connect to the internet (also to update) and open a browser to enter a post in the forum.

I really don’t think so. This is absolutely equivalent from an update on your installed system. No one is touching your data and configurations (home folder).

1 Like

So you can still access grub yes?

Press "e" on the top most entry to enter the edit menu. Find the line that says "Linux" and add 3 after it. So for example:
linux /boot/blabla [...] some.other.stuff=1 3
Then delete quiet from there that line too.
Press ctrl+x when you are done with that and let me know if you reach a terminal/login screen.

3 Likes

Yes.

There is a wonderful 10 character minimum, so I'm typing random stuff here.

8 Likes

No

There is a wonderful 10 character minimum, so I’m typing random stuff here. :joy:

That’s a sample text, like “linux /boot foo bar loglevel=3” 3
@TuxDiamondDog02
In short:
Find the line that says “Linux” and add 3 after it.

4 Likes

:point_up: I think this is going to be easier than you think.

Have you tried the chroot GUI tool from the live environment? It makes the whole process super easy. Just click the button, identify the Garuda installation, and update from within the Chroot.

2 Likes

The screenshot above, and my suggestion in the relevant post, was referred to booting off the live USB.
Anyway, also booting to a TTY (basically a text terminal, as opposed to a graphical session) as suggested with the "3" at the end of the linux line in the grub, could work.

1 Like

Yes, that's the 2nd option I mentioned.
Try that one first, since chrooting might be tricky sometimes with the tool (honestly for me, keeping calm and following step-by-step, the manual procedure always worked)

Please calm down (I seem to notice a certain anxiety :slight_smile: ).
Shutdown your machine, insert the live USB, press the power button and then immediately start pressing repeatedly the function key which allows selecting the boot options (e.g. F12, but can be different, check your manual or do some tests). Then select the option to boot from the USB.
This can normally be selected also from the BIOS.
I think you had to do the same when you installed the system.
When you boot the live USB, you should be greeted with the Garuda Welcome screen.
Then, my suggestion is to chroot (try with the button), and, when inside the chroot, garuda-update, etc.
garuda-inxi is providing only your systems specs, so is not a technical prerequisite for any of the next steps, "only" important information.

No need to use sudo inside chroot, so:

garuda-update
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=garuda --recheck
update-grub
exit

reboot removing the USB

1 Like

The guide is a replacement of the chroot button basically (plus the instructions to grub-install and update), so you'll need it if that button results in errors.

1 Like

This can depend on many things, which flashing tool was used, options, etc.
I'm pragmatical for those things, just try them both, and see if the live USB boots. There cannot be any side effect.
If the other option is not working, maybe try a different flashing tool. Ventoy is great for example.

1 Like