Is Dual Booting Good?

it is the secure boot uefi prob

under csm or normal boot theres no prob

uefi block every beside system i think

Only secure boot is a problem UEFI is beneficial

1 Like

first of all i only talk from me

i only have other distros and windows boot from usb-hdd fast connected with 3.1usb over type-c i can change every boot with f9 no problem with grub or any

linux isn't the problem
cause i have a laptop
windows not will install easily on usb hdd

if you will

pls use virtual manager use actual windows
and load dism++ in windows

to install windows on hdd

before you must format hdd for windows with boot partition

then only choose also for newest windows
gowindows boot and format windows

now you will be able to boot different systems also other hdd availible in different systems are possible

if you want an explicit detailed tutorial pls write it in comment

Yes
I am also using it in that way. Both windows and Garuda working good

4 Likes

welcome to garuda

2 Likes

In my view, dual boot isn't suitable for a newbie or Intermediate user.
I did it with Manjaro and Windows10, but the Windows update broke the filesystem, and I couldn't recover it.
So that I recommend that If you do that, place two or more SSDs just in case.
Also,Most proprietary Windows app could replace with an alternative program placed in AUR.
Besides, you can use other apps such as MS Office through using Chromium shortcut or app :wink:

4 Likes

Agreed. Dual-boot can work fine as long as you're comfortable fixing the boot loader when Windows decides to be selfish, or if you have two disks which you can keep separate, but Windows is just far too unsociable to make things easy.

4 Likes

I've been dual booting for a couple of years. I've experimented with separate Windows/Linux disks, both OS on one MBR disk, and both OS on one GPT disk. I had no trouble with any of them. My current config is to dual-boot Linux & Windoze on a smallish GPT SSD, with a separate GPT spinner for bulk storage. I format the spinner with exFAT so Windoze and Linux can share it. I'm running 3 desktop machines this way. My only caveat is to always install Windoze first so that when I install Linux it can load GRUB onto the EFI boot partition. I habitually keep Windoze up to date and it has never broken my boot partition. If it does, MX has a push-button boot repair tool, so I keep an MX USB stick on-hand just in case.

5 Likes

No one is even remotely saying Multi-booting is undoable. What we are saying is if you don’t know what you’re doing it can cause big problems.

Good advice, except many noobs do zero research then wonder why their system has broken.

My only advise Re multi-booting is don’t do it without learning the do’s and don’ts first, and if you broke it you bought it. Don’t expect to come crying to the Garuda forum for support if your multi-boot breaks.

Our mentality on the Garuda forum is that we support the default configurations as shipped in the main editions. If you choose to drastically alter the default configuration as shipped by the distro you cannot expect you will get support on the Garuda forum. Installing a multi-boot configuration is considered a drastic alteration of Garuda’s default configuration and no support can be expected.

That is not to say that some kind individual may not offer to help you here, but don’t expect support for multi-boot problems here. If you go down the multi-boot road, support is your problem not Garuda’s.

7 Likes

I tried Dual Booting on one SSD and it was real dumb, the bios couldnt find Garuda and only Windows but Garuda still holds space in the SSD's storage. so yeah i really do recommend that people buy 2 SSDs if they want to dual boot(i couldn't dual boot cause i dont have the money to buy a new SSD)

I'm not trying to put you down, and I don't know what part of the world you live in, and hardware prices can vary greatly by region.

I run Garuda off SSD's in the 120 GB range. In Canada I can purchase these drives in name brands for as little as $20-$25. In Canada this is equivelant to one meal for two persons at a McDonald's restaurant (one of the cheapest on the planet). In the US, drives of this size can be had for under $20.

By the time a drive reaches the price point where its as cheap or cheaper than a fast food meal for two persons I'd pretty much consider price a non issue for most people.

Again, not iintended as an insult, and I do understand prices can vary greatly around the world. Simply an observation of current North American SSD prices.

3 Likes

To simplify matters: Dual booting is neither good nor bad. It just is; and many people choose to do so for various reasons.

Now, does Garuda support dual booting? No. No distribution is willing to provide Windows support, other than Microsoft itself. There are Windows tech support channels, paid and otherwise--but not here.

So, to all Dual Booters. Either be self-supporting or ask Windows.

Make sense? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Surely that support restriction applies only to Windows? I can't ask a question about multi-booting many Linux setups. What about BSD or Hackintosh? :grin:

Surely you know that question rests with The Powers That Be? :wink:

What about their forums?

What about Garuda-specific booting? :wink:

3 Likes

Hackintosh installations are debatably illegal under Apple’s TOS. Therefore, anything that is deemed illegal in some jurisdictions is also not up for discussion on the Garuda forum.

Install whatever you want on your hardware, but that doesn’t mean it is, automatically supported on the Garuda forum. You also won’t be seeing any “how to” guides on the Garuda forum for installing any software that could end up dragging Garuda into court. Sorry, but that’s just the way it is. Garuda is a small independent project, we don’t have a legal team and deep pockets to fight court battles like some OS’s (not mentioning any names).

2 Likes

I wasn't expecting any, thanks.... and any 'iffy' products just get to see the inside of a virtual machine. Yes, I include Windows in that category!

I wasn't trying to be critical of you. I was simply clarifying the distro's position (as this is going to be an ongoing issue when the Garuda Black edition is released).

I must have been short of smiley emojis accidentally. Just having a bit of fun with it. My own experience with dual booting (even with Windows) has never been a problem, even before I knew anything - so I didn't realize how many problems it could cause!

btw - if I had a flag showing, it would match yours - so I'm not much of one to take offense anyway.... :grin:

1 Like

That's cool. No offense on this end either. I gave up on dual booting ages ago, because in the old days (using LILO) hard drives had a way of flipping their positions regularly.

That was because the UUID method of identifying drives wasn't in common usage back then. My solution was to modify all my wiring and install micro switches on my mobos addin plates. I simply would turn off the power via the swiches to all drives except the drive I wanted to boot. It worked flawlessly.

Of course, now you can buy a 4-6 bay hot swap SSD rack that fits in a single DVD bay, so I no longer need to go to those extremes anymore to keep my OS's physically separated.

Well - it beats pulling the power plug like I used to do! Lilo had its limitations. I live on rEFInd theses days! (yes, it can do the equivalent of chainloading grub when that's useful...

1 Like