Installation problems

I don't think it's what distro you use that defines whether it is 'lightweight' or not. It's the DE/WM - the applications you use etc; And any DE/WM and any application can be installed on any distro. I could replicate antiX and MX on Arch very easily. Don't switch distro's because one seems more 'lightweight' in most cases you can make both act the same.

For Garuda this is different because Garuda is not built for low hardware because the additions they make it unsuitable for this. Sure the same way you can install it and strip down but then that defeats the purpose. You will in that case not be using Garuda anymore.

So why install Garuda when other alternatives exist? Try those others. If you enjoy Arch and it's package management install another Arch based distro. Try another DE or even a WM.

Every linux 'base' can be lighweight. It is how you use it that matters.

3 Likes

Just! Therefore, the guest would be better off with Bred. Instead of asking in vain to enter Garuda. Thanks.

This is a quote to hang on to!

And like in raga, you stand no chance of improvising with confidence if you donā€™t have the scales ingrained in your earā€¦

2 Likes

I agree with you. Mostly. Arch and indeed most Linux can be configured to run on almost any hardware. However, the Original Poster may not have the skills or inclination to configure Arch. With 2 GB RAM, AntiX would run fine. Until he tries to use Firefox or Chrome. Even Palemoon would stretch his resources.

3 Likes

Accordance.

The complaints are increasing: it doesn't work, it doesn't work either, Garuda is broken ... help me immediately! Ect, etc ...

I basically assume that the other person is better informed than me.
If someone chooses the lightweight because of a lack of RAM, they will probably also choose the appropriate browser.

Fortunately, I don't have to moderate here.

1 Like

Well, hackers can use it, but thatā€™s not the main focus. You see, Garuda operating system requires you to know what your computer consists of, on some level. Garuda uses an installer called ā€œCalameresā€, and this installer requires more memory then you have (at least 4 GB). Memory is a part of a hardware of your computer that is responsible for holding temporary information for your CPU (central processing unit) which is responsible for various types of calculations. RAM comes in various editions, based on how fast it is, what generation itā€™s from and for what type of computer it belongs to (laptop, PC, etc.). In your case, you have a laptop, which means it needs at least another one stick of 2 GB laptop memory to make a total of 4 GB. You also need to know generation of your memory (DDR3 in your case, as your CPU does not support DDR4), as well as speed (your CPU only supports 1333 MHz). But if you canā€™t afford it, then you might need to tinker around with files that control how Calameres installer operates, or wait when somebody steps out and makes another installer, or install another operating system that requires less resources, for example, Puppy Linux, MX Linux, Slitaz etc.

6 Likes

You say it! Rebornos is just one example of how you can do it without calamares. During the installation you can choose between light, medium, heavyweight and everything possible.

I never wanted to mention other operating systems in the forum. But if you know who the father is, of course you also know the siblings.

2 Likes