I can't solve the GRUB issue

Hello again, I have had this problems with the distribution, GRUB doesn't start again for second times, I have booted the installer and I will not stop starting the boot as always, this error always comes out, I always have to reinstall the system ... Excuse me to come like this, it's not fair, but I have homeworks from college and I really need help.

EDIT: wait for the issue, i'm taking the pictures

Installing for i386-pc platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
/usr/bin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `overlay'.

if i use the repair tool from garuda boot repair, this is the output

Adding to all this, when I turn on the computer, "Grub Rescue" appears, I searched tutorials, and nothing that resolves ... nor leaves me in the SDDM

If your USB live works fine, installed Garuda should also work as well.

This looks like problem with BIOS/UEFI. Try:

1. checking if Garuda’s entry is there or not in boot order. If not, add EFI/Garuda/grubx64.efi.
  2. checking if secure boot is enabled/disabled. If it’s enabled, disable it.
1 Like

If I understand well, and you managed to install but your problem is GRUB-releated, I suggest you follow this one:

2 Likes

I have used Linux longer than many on this forum have been around and I've never had my grub boot break on its own.

If your boot is broken I assume that it was either a dual boot breakage, or the user changed the boot config themselves.

As always be sure fastboot and secure boot are disabled and that all OS's are installed in the same mode (UEFI or legacy).

Are you dual booting?

3 Likes

That's is disable, also I've installed by bios not UEFi

Nop, I don't have dual boot, before I had a problem also with the grub, Grub wouldn't even let me update the tickets and leave me a lot of mistakes.

If that's works I'll mark as solved..

Did you install grub customizer by any chance?

3 Likes

before, just for chance entries

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-zen
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux-zen.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-zen-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-xanmod
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux-xanmod.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-xanmod-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-lts-tkg-pds
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux-lts-tkg-pds.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-lts-tkg-pds-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-lts
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux-lts.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-lts-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-fallback.img
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1.  Check your device.map.
error: syntax error.
error: Incorrect command.
error: syntax error.
Syntax error at line 318
Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.
Ensure that there are no errors in /etc/default/grub
and /etc/grub.d/* files or please file a bug report with
/boot/grub.new file attached.

i dunno, this is the output after this, even i can't run grub

Sorry, now that I know that grub-customizer was previously installed I don't think I might be able to help you much. I read through the lines that this was done some time ago, so probably I cannot even suggest using the live ISO to restore a previous snapshot...

If you seach in the forum for 'customizer' you'll find many many posts with problems, basically almost never solved if not with a re-install.
There is one also with a link to an interesting Linux Mint blog on why not to use it: amongst the rest "the program has done major changes in /etc/grub.d, which would all have to be undone manually" and that's one of the major root cause of problems.

Back to the point, I assume that after chrooting you entered e.g. grub-install /dev/sda right? The disk, not the partition.
More than this hint, I cannot help, sorry...

3 Likes

okay bro, don't worry

Ya, as I expected grub config changes broke things for you. Grub customizer is well known for causing major problems.

i've bought a HDD, i've installed arch first, Use that distribution for 3 months, I wanted to go to Garuda for the functions you have, but the only problem that has given me Garuda is GRUB, I can't even modify it, and it always gives me a mistake. The distribution is really good and has potential, but it is the only thing that gives me a problem.
PD: I have installed Garuda by BIOS and only on that hard drive, I don't wanna touch the dual-boot or anything like that, I just want have that hard disk for GNU / Linux and nothing more.

What can i do for reset all grub, or set like normal install without affect my data?

Once you've installed grub customizer it's very difficult to get the default config back. That's why it is not recommended to install it.

So, i must reinstall?

It's not impossible to fix things, but it's very difficult for an inexperienced user. Many just end up reinstalling for that reason.

i have an idea, i’ll return later