How to undervolt on linux?

Hello! Yesterday I made the decision to migrate from Windows to Linux after 15 years on Windows. I came across this Garuda (distro I think it’s called) and I can say I like it a lot, even though I have pretty much no idea what’s going on lol. Anyway on Windows I had Throttlestop as my main undervolt tool and I’ve been using it for at least 2 years. But now I have no idea how to undervolt on Linux and I wouldn’t like my cpu to melt since I’m on a laptop. Do you have any ideas as to how a beginner can undervolt his cpu on linux? Please be nice, thank you!

You should report the garuda-inxi output as was likely requested when posting.
Especially in this case, where hardware is involved.

I don’t have any experience to share, this is what I found online:
Undervolting CPU - ArchWiki
GitHub - georgewhewell/undervolt: Undervolt Intel CPUs under Linux
paru -Ss undervolt
paru -Ss corectrl

See also Corectrl will not allow overlock/undervolt after updating kernel

If you can find your way from there, good, otherwise if you have any doubt wait for someone with experience to give advice.
But without knowing your hardware, that is not possible. garuda-inxi please.

Last but not least, welcome.

3 Likes

Thank you for providing some information. Given that I’m still new to this whole thing I still don’t really understand much of anything that’s going on and I’m trying to learn. Much love to you!
Edit: I’m also having trouble knowing what information exactly to paste here from the “garuda-inxi” command… Should I just write the main components like CPU, GPU and RAM? because in that case I have aLenovo Legion Y530 Intel Core i5-8300H, Intel CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] (this is the integrated graphics for the laptop), NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] and 8Gb of RAM. Anything else from that whole text is foreign language to me. Hope this helps somewhat. Oh and also I read the posts you provided and tried to do something but I really have no idea what I’m doing haha.
Edit2: I found out how to do it using intel undervolt, took a bit of time but with the right video on youtube I did it, even though I’m seeing that after applying those settings my laptop seems to be working slowly, it never did that on Windows… I have to look into it further.

1 Like

as you didn’t have showed your garuda-inxi so I am just estimating that you have intel CPU , for inter CPUs there is already something in garuda assistant ,

open garuda assistant through your app launcher, goto “Settings” tab , under powersave section you will see undervolt unmarked , click on the box , then click on apply and then it will ask password , enter it and press y and enter you would might be good to go :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Garuda-Assistant

Garuda-Assistant

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.