How to create manual partition of disk for garudalinux

Hello developers.

I am new to linux community. I have dual booted linux along with windows 10 so as to have real experience of linux instead of VM. currently I am having kali linux on my machine. Few days ago i saw garuda linux review over YouTube.

So i alloted 50GB of my SSD for garudalinux like i did before for Kali. Basically i wanted to switch from kali to garuda gnome. I tried every tutorial and did my level best to create partitions for garuda. But i failed for 4 time. Can anyone tell me brief info about how can i dual boot garudalinux.

Thanking you in advance

1 Like

Can you tell us is your system legacy bios or uefi ?

And what was the failure error ?

For legacy bios system

You need to only create one btrfs partition and select mountpoint as /

And set boot flag.

For uefi

You need to create one 300 mb fat32 partition and mount it as /boot/efi and flag it with esp and boot

And one btrfs partition mount it as /

7 Likes

How are you trying to create your partitions?

Are you attempting this with gparted or other methods?

3 Likes

For ssd space allocation i used Disk Management (windows 10 default program) and took 50GB from main ssd partition.

I just wanted to about how many partition and how much space should i give from my 50gb partition in garuda installer as i don't want to mess with my windows.
Do I need to create / /home swap in the manual disk partition from garuda installer.

And what should be the file type ext4 or btfrs for these partition.

When i was trying to install it manly wants a partition with /mount point and fat32 with /boot/efi flag enabled.

Thanks for reply

I want to dual boot.I am on UEFI. Issue is that linux does not boot after installation simply because something wrong with my installation.

I have a question regarding boot FAT32. I read articles which states that do not mess with boot partition if you already have other os installed just make changes in default partition.

If i create a new partition of 300mb fat32 then will my machine boot? As it will detect that there are two boot partition with different location.

Yes you might need to select from bios menu to choose which efi to boot.

And its good to have seperate efi partition.

We recommend btrfs

And there is no need for seperate home partition

But for boot efi garuda setup throws a popup that a fat32 and /boot/efi is necessary. It will throw popup if i will use btfrs.

As you are sure it will not create any problem if i create another 300mb partition for boot efi I'll do that.

And i also have a problem when i create a bootable USB for gnome ultimate edition balena etcher shows one error that "physical drive...." I am using SanDisk 8GB usb stick. It does not show any error for kali.

But for garudalinux and ubuntu it throws 1 file error.

You are most probably trying to make a bootable usb from iso from same drive or through usb ports or something. Try copying the iso to ssd and then use etcher.

Yes you should definitely make a swap. The best option for you is take that 50 gb partition and cut it into 3 parts, one of 500mb, one of 5 gb and one of rest of storage.

Make 500 mb one as boot / efi, make 5gb one swap and 44.5 gb one as btrfs.

You need /boot/efi as fat32 and not as btrfs

And the 5 gb partition as linuxswap

2 Likes

All done!

Setup was completed successfully but like the old times it booted up and gave me this screen. It's stuck from past ½hour.

My guess is it's not playing well with you video adapter.

Did you select the free driver option?

What is your hardware, please post:

inxi -G
1 Like

It was set default to non free

My laptop harware is

Intel i5
8gigs of ram
Nvidia mx250 graphics

Try installing with the free option.

1 Like

No luck. It's still the same. But i appreciate this forum solving every issue.

I have a thought in my mind do i need to enable bios-grub flag enabled along with boot flag in 500mb partition.
And let me know if i have to turn on any flag in my partition (mount point as /).

I think i know whats the problem

You might need to replace gdm-prime and libgdm-prime with regular gdm and libgdm

What you need to do is
Type on the stuck prompt

Ctr +alt + f2

Then login

And

sudo pacman -Sy gdm libgdm
systemctl enable gdm --force
4 Likes

Garuda has zram enabled by default, so it doesn’t make much sense to use a swap partition.

5 Likes

There are many intial issues that I'm facing initially with this distro.

1. My both keyboards (laptop,ext keyboard) are typing in devnagri language its totally typing in Marathi at initial load.

2. No sound is coming after playing YouTube videos and mp3 files over laptop.

3.terminal download speed is too slow. Even i have fibre connection in my home.

4.sometimes even password is correct linux doesn't not allow to login. ( It says wrong password, try again).

Change keyboard layout from settings and change layout to en us

You should have done this while installing via calamares.

As for sound issue try installing
Lts kernel

sudo pacman -S linux-lts-headers linux-lts

And when booting select advanced
Then boot with linux-lts

And last one is mirrors issue

sudo reflector --sort age --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
4 Likes