How i can mount a second HDD

Hi and before i get here i try a lot to find and solve this problem on my own.
I Jump from mint to garuda and using the gamer version and so far half things i can find by broswing half internet and others well.. they are well locked for me.
So i came to a problem i cant solve and its how i can mount a second HDD 2 tb as linux booting so i can place the games i want to install from steam and other clients like GOG EPIC etc.
I solved that issue in mint but i couldnt find something that could help me with Garuda.
I read the this client of Linux i mean Garuda has a lots of issues but truth is its more appealing to my likes and i want to give it a try.
I used to be a heavy user of Windows and trouble shooting problems on my own but i always felt that windows is very easy like for dummies but windows 11 just sing their death sentence...period.
Anyways thanks in advance for any assistance it may come.

Please provide

4 Likes

thanks i will try to see if i can find something in there.but if i dont i most like return here searching.
Edit1: i went there and try search under word mount and nothing was found.
edit2: can you provide a pointer than just a wiki ?
Thanks anyway.

Is that what you are looking for?

Maybe i saw that guy before but not with a solution at least for me but i will check that topic you sent and thank you very much for the pronto reply.
Edit1: sorry guys a snap question again and crucial i think.
This HDD 2tb isnt empty and had been formated with mint and made directory in there that added downloads games photos and alot of other stuff and question is-will that be a problem ?
I mean so far i have came and understand that there are alot distros and have different commands and built as like another OS and to most look the same but they are not compatible to each other in some cases,
The File system ext4 type format and its readable as i see everything in there and as a bad habit of mine the software in there is windows based so the emulator will solve that.
So i just need to use the same folder i made in the previous Linux OS ?
nvm just questions pops on my mind.i will try and see if it works then come back again and thanks again

You can also just mount it using /etc/fstab to something like /mnt/data and tell steam to use a directory on this drive :eyes:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fstab

3 Likes

Yea thanks.
I found it a while back that it has a link of path of my previous Media folder and it had it mounted in a sub root as a folder already in....i just mapped it in steam and its downloading the software that it needs to run.Is it possible that this version of linux have it already map it in side?i mean it feels like an evolution as it goes..

You may for two :wink:

To mount a drive/partition
You need to get the SCSI disk number.
Which can be obtained by running
fdisk -l
You are going to get something like this

Disk /dev/sda: 223.58 GiB, 240065183744 bytes, 468877312 sectors
Disk model: WDC WDS240G2G0A-
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 94893A5F-C2A8-4C39-BB8B-66E5FBF5A2A0

Device         Start       End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sda1       2048   1050623   1048576   512M EFI System
/dev/sda2    1050624   1083391     32768    16M Microsoft reserved
/dev/sda3    1083392 136206335 135122944  64.4G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda4  136206336 395366399 259160064 123.6G Microsoft basic data
/dev/sda5  395366400 467742719  72376320  34.5G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda6  467742720 468871167   1128448   551M Windows recovery environment

Disk /dev/zram0: 6.69 GiB, 7182745600 bytes, 1753600 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 4096 = 4096 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

Here the /dev/<id> is my disk id

Then you need to create a mount point, or use the /run/media one
and do

sudo mount <disk id> <mount point>
1 Like

Mounting a drive is the same in all Linux distributions, so how did you solve this in Mint, and why doesn’t it work in Garuda?

5 Likes

Hi there, welcome to the community.

You have 2 options

1. Fstab : If you want to learn actual and solid way to mount partition on startup. You can refer Archwiki for that.

2. Gnome-disk-utility : if you want easier, faster, GUI method, go for this. In mint, you most probably used this. You can install Gnome-disk-utility via pacman easily.

8 Likes

Ding, ding, ding, the winner ^^^

3 Likes

strange i cant seem to find the video now but i curious and keep on looking for it and post it here.
And yes i want to learn a few things and looks like a lot of digging need to be done but truly worth my time.

Please do not rely on videos. What you want to know how to do is widely known and very easily searchable here, and in the Arch Wiki. It is very easy to accomplish, but we're not here to hold your hand.

You will have to do the research, you will have to do the reading, and you will have to apply the 'fix' to your problem.

regards

6 Likes

Just to confuse you even more there is one other option, systemd mount units.

https://man.archlinux.org/man/systemd.mount.5.en

https://man.archlinux.org/man/systemd.automount.5.en

Dead simple ^^^

7 Likes

yea it seems that there are a lot ways to get things done as partition methods and as for the videos they helped me half way and they might be in some cases right as an example but as a result they are in some cases wrong and i agreed with that.i will try dig search my way.
As for Garuda it is a lot multimedia with a lot multimedia bugs but very good in my taste,
Truth is i need to replace my parents windows with this client of linux cause they are as close to windows as they can be but i am trying to solve things and so far i see i will need to solve a lot problems and a big deal is the anti hacking system of their game they play.
Anyway thanks guys again i really want to bury windows once and for all and i am so sorry i didnt made that call years ago.oh well batter late than ever.

1 Like

So, welcome! But:

Facts, please, no rumors :wink:

4 Likes

Sure but my above post refers to my own Client and in the manner i have set it up just to clarify.
It auto maps the previous mounted drive by it self as an auto result and i mean without me involved in that part and thats an ultra thumbs up for the team delivering that kind of evolution.
But due my searching testing that auto mapping with each reboot i make seems to lose it and i go check if my drive was at fault but it is active so my own researching may have cause this lol
I am researching cause if i knew what i am looking for it wouldnt be called research now....
Do i need to provide some screen shots or a video for that ?

I wasn't aware garuda developers made a special iso with the issues handpicked for you, What an honor!

1 Like

Please, inform us why you wish to make something so simple so complex. And please don't post using circular logic. It only confuses whatever your issue might actually be. Use short sentences and punctuation, please. We all want to be using the same terminology, even if English may not be your native tongue, so if you do not know the proper nomenclature of a thing, please consult Google, the Wikis, and a translation service. I believe @SGS may be able to help you select one, but I am not certain. We want to try to help you, we really do. Please do your part.

Your topic header is, "How i can mount a second HDD"

What information that we have posted are you having difficulty grasping? Which parts do you not understand. We need to know that, and you must be specific. Again, no circular logic. Yours is probably beyond our grasp. :slight_smile:

The amount of good information already posted by very knowledgeable users is more than typical. You have to be very clear in explaining to us what you hope to accomplish. Garbage in, garbage out.

regards

2 Likes

Hi c00ter and thanks for the tip i suppose that is.
My time is very strict but i will do my best.

~Regards
edit: hah k guys il quit been around my english are bad and they wont get better but i am trying to be a better man if not for me i will for my wife and daughter,
have fun guys and i will keep using garuda i will do it solo as i did everything in my life and thanks for all your support and i mean it.
be well and take care.

1 Like