How i can mount a second HDD

My time's pretty effing strict, too, considering what remaining time I got left on this earth, buddy, so listen up! :smiley:

I just installed KDE Barebones (again) today.
Setting up my secondary HDD in /etc/fstab took all of 3-4 minutes. It will take you a little longer. Not much.
Here are 3 screenshots for you to learn from.
BTW, I am spending far more time than that taking and cropping screenshots, changing and changing back my fstab than it will take you to accomplish what I just did. Much less.

First Screenshot
Using gnome-disk-utilty.
Note the UUID assigned to the 1.0 TB HDD.

Second Screenshot
Unedited /etc/fstab
Before inserting the 1.0 TB HDD UUID
Fstab files are laid out in a specific order.
Device name
Mountpoint
Filesystem type
Options
Dump
Google for exactly what they mean. This is required reading.

Edited Fstab After
Inserted the UUID from gnome-disk-utility
Set all of the order of records. It is important you follow the right order or you will have an unusable system.
/data is an arbitrary name. Call it what you want. Since mine is all data on the HDD, so that is what I named it.

After editing and saving the /etc/fstab, I rebooted, opened Dolphin and deleted the home directories--Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos. They were all empty, since this was a new install.

I then created new symlinks
Create new link to file or directory (directory)
Link to newly created /data drive folders, Documenrs, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos

This is it. Down, Dirty & Done.

I don't normally go to this extent--especially with Garuda or Arch users--who should already know how or at least how to do their own research and make their own mistakes. And thereby profit by them.

If you have any further questions, please consult the Garuda, Arch Wikis, or Google. Here is a link to The Authority: fstab - ArchWiki

BTW, I've made many, many mistakes over my Linux career. Don't ever be afraid to try. It won't eat your firstborn, I promise. :wink:

regards

8 Likes

@ c00ter
Hi. Tell me pleas if this method works for me so that I can take BTRFS snapshots containing HOME (on a different physical disk)?

Open Timeshift, use settings and read

2 Likes

I do not need to save snapshot to another section. I would like to know how to get around the limitation. - So that the Snapshot captures the HOME which is on another disk

Timeshift dosn’t work like this, if you READ.
You can do that with btrfs, read the manuals, please.

man btrfs

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Btrfs

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. It's just that Linux gives so many ways and freedom ... I was hoping)

It has so many ways, but we can’t teach them all :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You can if your real HOME is also on that other disk, which I do not advise for various reasons. That’s a different setup and you will need to know how to do it, which I have not explored. And do you realize how big the snapshots would be if they captured all of your data?

1 Like

I guess I'm missing the ability to only include hidden config files from HOME to capture in a BTRFS snapshot. Without it, I sometimes have to take RSYNC shots(HOME -hidden only ).

Here's some of the research reading I've done regarding BTRFS. I would swear I've lost so many braincells trying to understand BTRFS, I know less than when I started. That can happen, but you're welcome to any of this that might be helpful. :slight_smile:

regards

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Btrfs
The most advanced linux filesystem](https://www.reddit.com/r/btrfs/)
FAQ - btrfs Wiki
Glossary - btrfs Wiki
Learning Linux Lesson19 BTRFS FileSystem Snapshots - YouTube
Btrfs - Fedora Project Wiki
How To Enable Storage Pooling And Mirroring Using Btrfs For Linux
[SOLVED] Btrfs partition scheme with SSD+HDD combination / Installation / Arch Linux Forums
(1) need help with btrfs mounting subvolumes and directories on separate disks/partitions : btrfs

4 Likes

Just use Back In Time to backup your home directory.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.