How does Garuda use bash but the shell is fish?

In a brand new Garuda install, if you open a terminal it's clearly using bash and the fetch also confirms that.

But echo $SHELL returns /bin/bash.

How is this done and what are the advantages?

No logs posted because it's more of a question than an issue. Hope that's allowed.

It's simple: the login shell is bash and fish is set via Konsole options. This keeps compatibility with applications that expect bash (eg. Flatpak), while being able to enjoy fish.

5 Likes

I'm using the gnome version, is it done there (and in any GUI environment) via the settings of any given terminal app?

I'm not a Gnome user, but, if I remember correctly, gnome-terminal is currently our standard.
So, the relevant shell selection could be done like here:
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-terminal/stable/pref-custom-command.html.en

1 Like

Wow that's awesome!

I like the look of the new gnome console 'kgx' so I'm trying to see if there's a way to do something similar but there doesn't appear to be. The old 'gnome-terminal' doesn't have rounded corners. Plus if you use the Tiling Assistant extension to add gaps, then 'gnome-terminal' adds wonky extra space around the the bottom and I think the right side too.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.