How do kernel-level anti cheats work on linux?

Hopefully this topic is relevant enough! The community forum seems to be pretty free form as long as the topic is linux related so hopefully this is okay, if not feel free to remove or whatever, in which case, sorry!

I’ll be honest, I know very little about how anti cheat programs work overall and am still quite new to linux, but from what I understand kernel-level programs are given a large amount of freedom over your computer and its systems, supposedly some running “permanently” in the background and/or sticking around after the relevant game(s) are uninstalled. What finally motivated me to ask this is the release of Helldivers 2 and the drama surrounding it with its use of Nprotect GameGuard.

With linux being what it is I can see programs like this going either way, being more or less safe/secure/etc to use, potentially depending on whether or not windows compatibility layers like wine and proton have any influence on their functionality

I’m curious to what degree I should be concerned, or if nothing else aware, if at all, regarding various anti cheat programs.

Thank you!

This forum is not a general technical support forum.

Make sure you have done the following before you post:

Apart from the missing garuda-inxi :slight_smile:

I wasn’t sure if this would be considered tech support or not because I’m not really looking for “help” with anything and I don’t have any actual problem in need of a solution, more just curious about how specific things work in a linux enviroment, which I saw as more discussion-y. I’m not at all trying to debate whether or not it is or where this post should be, that was just my logic. I have also looked around online a bit, maybe I just missed what I was looking for. Regardless, sorry again. If this topic isn’t relevant for this forum I wouldn’t mind taking the post down.

I can give the inxi but i’m not sure what it would do for anyone in this case ;-;

edit; just realized this didn’t count as a reply oops, new to all this :weary:

proton has Runtimes for EAC and BattlEye, for the rest, you’re out of luck. As far as I know anticheats only work in steam since it has these runtimes. Epic Games’ games apparently don’t support linux at all even though these guys developed EAC, so no idea what that’s about. You’re best off just installing games with anticheats that were confirmed working on protondb or have native linux support

SomeOrdinaryGamer has a guide on setting up a VM that is able to trick anti-vm measures in anticheats, so you could theoretically just run windows in there, but no idea if that still works, and you’ll probably get banned for it if you don’t do it correctly

1 Like

Would this imply that the anti cheat is effectively contained within the pocket windows “installation” created by proton then? Or have I misunderstood? I know EAC has some level of optional linux compatibility but what that actually means for anything at all I have no idea, I just know some games haven’t enabled it and won’t work at all

I don’t think it qualifies for a secure cheating environment haha, but I really have no idea. I’d assume that these runtimes bridge the gap between the linux and windows kernel to an extent that makes it run on proton. Would be best if you look it up yourself

Here’s the video I talked about: https://youtube.com/watch?v=L1JCCdo1bG4&t=242

2 Likes

The “kernel” as-such, has only what Linus Torvalds allows it to consist of. Seriously.

And if he wanted his kernel to run Helldivers instead of Linux, there would be 2,000 new HelldiversOS distros instead of Linux distros almost immediately. And that (hopefully) ain’t gonna happen. There would be a bounty on his head.

That said, there are such animals as kernel modules.

Moderators, this appears to be a discussion topic.

2 Likes

Move it, you are "Band"leader :smiley:

3 Likes

Forgive me for being dense but you’re saying the “kernel” anti cheats are pretty limited in their scope on linux (or in general), right? Which is to say, at least in that regard, there’s not much to worry about?

That’s fair, and yeah I did try looking it up a bit myself but I didn’t really find much relevant or helpful, but that could easily be a me issue with terminology, blindness or whatever. Regardless I will look into it some more.

I had just figured, and this is explicitly assuming it’s welcome here which I believe I’ve made clear if it isn’t I absolutely understand and don’t mind taking it elsewhere, that I have a good resource of smart people available on this forum that may be able to help and/or give a more tailored answer to the question.

Also, thanks for the link! I’ll definitely give it a watch a bit later! :purple_heart:

I’m saying you should avail yourself to some free knowledge. Specifically:

and

and

:smiley:

3 Likes

oh good god lmao, i definitely will with time ;-;. Linux has been a journey and I’m definitely trying to learn what I can but my smoothened adhd brain can be really slow to figure some of it out, especially the more technically dense stuff that require understanding of other technically dense stuff to understand

thanks for the links! i’ll promise i’ll take a look at them but in this moment on this particularly brainless day may i request a few extra grains of rice in the form of a “you’re (not) fine :+1: ( :-1:)” :pleading_face: (totally fine if not lmao)

edit: are the replies not properly indicating who they’re replying to or am i crazy

1 Like

If you are replying to the last person posting it doesn’t show up. I think I might have found something on the meta.discourse forums about it finally; there looks to be a setting to fix it. I am going to make a separate thread about this in forum feedback to see if I can request the setting to be changed.

edit: Getting back on topic. Apart from what was already mentioned for information on game compatibility with protondb.com , another good resource for anti-cheat specific information is https://areweanticheatyet.com/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.