Hopping from Manjaro. Few Questions

Hello Everyone,
Greetings.

I am looking forward to move to Garuda Linux from Manjaro.
I am an intermediate Linux user. Using it from 3 years now.
My Desktop Environment of choice is Gnome.
I use an Asus gaming laptop which has:
Intel 9750H
Nvidia 1650
16 GB RAM
WD SN850 500GB SSD
Don’t need Anbox Box support in kernel

I have a few questions.

1. i am aware that Garuda offers a lot more benefits over most other distros including manjaro. Is there anything that it doesn’t offer but manjaro does?
    As far as I know, manjaro uses a custom kernel with fsync patches and some other performance tweaks from liquorix kernel. What about Garuda, is the zen kernel better than the manjaro’s custom kernel? I am not interested in the LTS kernel. I have seen a guide on this forum asking laptop users to switch to lts from zen. Is the zen kernel bad for laptops? So should I just use the mainline arch kernel?

2. I currently use Chromium Browser. I want to move to ungoogled chromium. I don’t want to compile it with AUR or use the flatpak. Is ungoogled chromium present in the repos or chaotic AUR. If yes then is it well-maintained?

3. I started my journey with pop os. Where i used the xanmod kernel. Everything was faster. Then I moved to manjaro. Unfortunately Xanmod is better off with debain derivatives. So I used the default kernel in manjaro. Sadly the zen kernel is not in Manjaro repos. While reading the announcement page, I came across this:

I see that there a few extra kernels available without the needing to compile them. Although I am not a gamer, I still appreciate some extra performance. I was fascinated by the cacule kernel on xanmod(now called tt kernel). Should I use these kernels from Chaotic AUR? Can someone please post an explanation of these kernels and what they are good at?(Bmq vs cfs vs pds) I would like to avoid any kernel that is desktop focused because my laptop fans would kick in everytime I use my computer.

Thank You.

No.

No.

Yes.

That’s up to you. Zen works well for most people, the others are mainly a niche for people who like to get an extra 0.5% in certain situations.

9 Likes

Could you explain me the difference between
Zen and tkg kernel (bmq vs cfs vs pds)

I don’t require Anbox support in the kernel and i am not a gamer. Is the tkg kernel just for gamers or for desktop users only?

I assume the zen kernel is better suited for arch and is probably better maintained. Is there anything else?
I know the benchmarks can vary slightly and are mostly insignificant on modern hardware. But there are still some differentiating patches and tweaks. Like the cacule patch on xanmod kernel greatly improves the overall system responsiveness and provided slightly better performance for me.

Before you open a help request, read relevant sections of the Arch and Garuda wiki.
Thoroughly search in the forum and on the web.

4 Likes

Thanks. Found the Arch wiki page for unofficial kernels.
Tkg maintainers have the detailed information at

1 Like

The only true way to find out if you are going to get extra performance with other kernels is to try them out. Hopefully, your choice is not final. You can install 'em all, try and later uninstall.
The same goes with distros.

manjaro uses a custom kernel with fsync patches

So does zen.

Is there anything that it doesn’t offer but manjaro does?

If you use Pamac, it might be more stable on Manjaro.

3 Likes

Pamac is unnecessary, and not recommended by Garuda.

Yes, now that you mention it. We don’t offer kernels modified by our dev team. Our kernels come directly from upstream. You may think this is a negative, but anyone who’s dealt with support issues knows that their kernel mods often create more issues than they resolve.

8 Likes

What? You mean that adding all the available kernel patches out there doesn’t make a better kernel?

:exploding_head:

7 Likes

I think you forgot this emoji on your last post as well.

:crazy_face:

4 Likes