Hi, i was wondering about this distro?

Hey @anon75687912 , Welcome to the Forum... and to Garuda, I have been using Garuda for over 3 months now and i can tell you this is an Outstanding Distribution ( been a Linux user for over 13 years ). Like any OS you might find some sort of issues "specially at the beginning" But overall thius is ROCK SOLID.

1 Like

sadly, i have no friends:(.

This is not recommended by the garuda dev,s
but try it in a vm
It may give you a chance to try and see what you think.
btw what operating system you running now and what is it,s spec?

2 Likes

mine is a

nvidia geforce gtx 1050 ti.

amd ryzen 7 1800x eight core processor.

Garuda doesn't work very well at all in a VM... especially due to the video memory restriction, though on a technical level it is possible.

2 Likes

The trick is to enable true 3D hardware acceleration. Once done, Garuda is a blast in any VM! :smiley:

2 Likes

Still limited to 256MB video memory with acceleration on, as a limitation of the hypervisor to avoid footguns :frowning: , but it will run.

3 Likes

Wow, gotta love that nine-year necrobump from the guy who insisted the thread should be reopened but obviously didnā€™t even read it. :expressionless:

I permit myself to reopen this case because the subject begin really to be more and more important in my eyes.

What theā€¦:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Shouldā€™ve answered ā€œI permit myself to lock this thread because I consider this to be a dead endā€

:rofl:

8 Likes

You should consider changing your search criteria to include results that are more recent than the South Africa World Cup of 2010.

Nice! :rofl:

8 Likes

so im getting my cds tomorrow.

how do i install it via cds?

Iā€™m not sure if you are trolling or notā€“this is a very uncommon way to approach this task anymore. CDs are practically obsolete.

If you are serious:

mkisofs -V "*ARCHIVE_2013_07_27*" -J -r -o *isoimage.iso* *./for_iso*

Source: Optical disc drive - ArchWiki

If you need to prepare the optical media from Windows, you will have to search around to figure out the correct method. Something like this perhaps: BurningIsoHowto - Community Help Wiki

6 Likes

Sorry to say this but he is trolling :grinning:

5 Likes

so asking is illegal nowdays?

also, who says no oen uses cds?

thats a terrible midnset to have actually.

don't bother answering if you can't help. don't be rude.

not everybody supports all digital.

no im not. its called: "preference" its called asking questions.

there's no crime is it. cause, not everybody supports all digital.

im allowed to use cds.

Enough philosophized.

I guess I am too late to the discussion, but I also use DVD to install distro!
(Not CD because they have very low capacity)

When I started my Linux journey ( 6 years ago ), I used DVD, which I have till day.

Advantage of DVD is, they are super cheap. At least here in India, I can buy more than 20, 4GB DVDs or 30 700mb CDs, in the cost of 1 decent 4 GB pen drive.

They do have practical usage, till date. For example, to submit something, like college/school project works, thesis, it is more practical to use CD/DVD. My school only accepted CD as project submission. Also, DVD are pretty handy to keep backups for really long time, and of reasonably large file, and you donā€™t wanna spend few dollars on flash drive.

Until I bought new laptop, last year, that no longer has optical disk reader, I was heavily dependent on DVDs. I do miss DVD, but USB drives have become standard nowā€¦
I still use DVD on my desktop pc.

So, I really donā€™t think this is trollingā€¦

Yes you are

Fun fact: .iso format was actually made for CD and DVD ā€¦

Coming back to actual question, @anon75687912 , if you still can read this, it is actually easier to flash DVD than USB drive.

As you told us that you are using Windows, all you have to do is, download .iso file from download page, simply right click on it and select burn to disk button, and select the disk. Done
You have perfectly fine bootable disk, with least cost and effort ! No 3rd party software or anything required.

( Obviously you would need 4 GB capacity disk for any regular edition )

PS: I still have 1 question, how is DVD less digital than USB drive? Maybe you wanna use modern or something instead of digitalā€¦idk

6 Likes