Hazards of a rolling distro

I love Garuda, and that mostly goes for any Arch based distro as well. Truth to tell though, I would never recommend a rolling distro like an Arch based one for non technically inclined newbs.

Arch based distro's require maintenance. They are not set and forget. Anybody can install Garuda on a computer. That's pretty simple in this day and age. The problem isn't in the installing, it's in learning to upkeep your system.

If you are going to run an Arch based distro for the long term then you need to learn how to maintain it properly. People with no desire to learn technical aspects of the OS probably shouldn't pick an Arch based daily driver.

Anyone that enjoys tinkering with their system will love a rolling distro based on Arch. For the set and forget crowd they should run a static distro.

Not being an elitist, just a realist. Just my opinion.

10 Likes

I switched to Ubuntu because M$ is a pain.
Then to Mint because Ubuntu became torture.
Because even the Mint kernel I built was still twice as big as Arch's,
I switched to (MJ) Deepin. Just because of the look :slight_smile: .
When I changed to i3 and more and more unnecessary things inflated my system,
the only way left was Cleanjaro (Thanks @Yorper).
Which finally resulted in "my own" i3wm system which was kindly created by @librewish.

What can I say, others seem to like it too :wink:

6 Likes

Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy.
Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence.
Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.

-- Jasonwryan, (Retired ArchWiki Administrator)

8 Likes

Preach it.

And if you're not just a realist but also a pragmatist, think about what happens when the set and forget person has trouble with their system because they didn't read update announcements or maintain their system.

You're going to get the brunt of their blame and complaints, for recommending this to them.

And it's not their fault. Some people just use their computers as appliances; they aren't interested in the OS per se nor tinkering with it.

3 Likes

BTRFS and Timeshift mitigates this somewhat, but in other ways it's more dangerous for naive newbs. To the non sophisticated user they might assume they're covered as far as backups are concerned. That is a dangerous assumption and one that's very likely to lose their data. BTFFS + Timeshift is an excellent system restore feature, but it is not foolproof (neither is it a proper backup system).

2 Likes

What's with all this Negative Nancy stuff? I admit you're right, but...we're not supposed to SAY it :slight_smile:
I never assume my data is safe unless I have it in three places...(at least) and I don't mean on the same computer in three places. And really, my data isn't that important. If you actually had money riding on/in your data and it's close to irreplaceable...you should do definitely learn about backups, cloud storage, co-location,etc.

1 Like

No one wants to hear it, but your data should be in at least three places. One of those being offsite or in the cloud. That's not being negative, it's just being prudent.

Rarely do users with limited experience in Linux ever put a backup strategy into place. Then if there's a system meltdown it's always the distro that gets blamed.

A little preparation goes a long ways to preventing a lot of tears.

1 Like

I'm back.... Sort of... So I've got a PC up and running, but have been super busy with my new job. I also kind of broke my phone, which is why i've been silent so long.....

Did i miss much?

9 Likes

Lots of nice little additions and changes and new servers :grin:
Thats an overview on what changed since last month :smiley:

7 Likes

I'm currently busy trying to put together a shell script that will help provide new users with helpful tips during the update process. It will be triggered by a pacman hook. The hook will trigger if major components are being upgraded such as the kernel or systemd (and others).

The script will provide onscreen and popup messages with helpful tips for newbs and a redirect to the Arch update news. It will also notify the user when an update is likely to require a system reboot. This will hopefully cut down on the number of help requests from users who simply forget to reboot after the kernel has been updated.

One of the things covered in the tips is how to restore your system if you encounter a bad update and the fact that timeshift does not backup your data by default. It's aimed at those new to Linux or new to an Arch Linux based distro.

It will be designed so it is easily disabled through the Garuda Welcome app if the user finds it annoying (but it won't stop the update process).

My scripting skills are a little rusty, and they were never that great in the first place.
:smile:

So if there's any volunteers that would like to be a test pilot for how it works shoot me a PM and I'll send you an early draft to test it out on your system. Keep in mind the target user for this script is those new to Linux or the Arch world. Let me know if you'd like to check out the script and hook before it ever gets put into usage.

Any feedback during development would be appreciated.

7 Likes