Hazards of a rolling distro

Edit:

While I was at it, I thought I might as well merge this thread I created a while back with this thread (so newbies won't make this common mistake).

There was a thread earlier that the user was having difficulties accessing their drive. The chown and chmod commands were not working correctly to fix the permissions on the drive.

The user became quickly frustrated with not being able to access the drives correctly on Garuda. This was not the fault of Garuda or BTRFS, the issue that was creating a problem was the drives name itself. If you really want to make your life difficult in Linux use spaces in your drive names.

If your drive names contain spaces you must "escape" the drive name whitespace characters for any bash commands to work correctly on your drives.

This is complicated even further by potential issues mounting a drive with white spaces in its name via /etc/fstab:

This becomes a major annoyance and only complicates using chown or chmod (or other) commands on your drives. This also complicates writing any script that accesses the drive as well. The best practice is to simply avoid white spaces in drive names all together.

For simplicities sake never use spaces (or special characters) in your drive names if your drives are likely to be used with Linux. Always use an underscore or dash when naming drives (rather than spaces).

Examples:

Do not use names such as:

Data Drive

Movies & Music

Instead use alternatives such as:

Data-Drive

data_drive

Movies-Music

movies_and_music

Keep it simple, don't make your life difficult by using drive names containing white spaces (or special characters).

12 Likes

Excellent opinion, especially for Arch newcomers.

GM

1 Like

Tested this one without any issues. :+1:

1 Like

What did you think of my scripts custom colours/formatting/apearance/layout in the pacman output.

2 Likes

Seems to run as expected, no error or issues. Didn't much pay attention to the colors. :joy:
Will play with it again tomorrow, almost midnight here. :+1:

4 Likes

Color/formatting/appearance and layout seems to be all good. I'll play with it over the next few days.

4 Likes

Alright, sounds like I'll be fine then! Thank you very much for the detailed response! (although Nvidia updates scare me as well haha)

Yup, a bit of research is what I signed up for when I fell into the Linux rabbithole.

2 Likes

I have an update on this matter, although it is kind of unrelated to this thread.
I am currently on the Zen Kernel.
I was using the chaotic-nvidia-tkg drivers off of the Chaotic-AUR
I had heard it was recommended, but I ran into some problems
My system stability came back because of an update to opencl-nvidia(off the regular repositories)

However, I was unable to open steam because of the inconsistency in driver versions for nvidia(some from Chaotic and some from Arch Linux Repositories)
I realized the inconsistency and installed the chaotic-nvidia-opencl packages as replacements, but all my instability issues returned.

I then decided to switch everything back to the drivers on the main ArchLinux repository, which seems to have fixed the stability problem and allowed me to open steam properly.
I don't know if this is right, but it seems like the Choatic-Nvidia-tkg drivers are best for tkg kernels only. The best drivers to use for the Zen kernel seem to be just the regular ones on the main repository.

1 Like

My own personal opinion is that knowledge of how to perform manual interventions is more essential with Garuda than say vanilla Arch. This is only my opinion, but I feel it is valid. I say this because the Garuda devs like experimenting with new kernels and different packages to improve system performance. This philosophy may require more manual interventions as sometimes the changes don't necessarily work that well with some hardware configurations and they have to be reverted. Pipe wire is a recent example of this.

I don't think that's a negative. It's simply to be expected on a distro that tracks closely with the cutting edge of new developments. The devs here are focused on testing new methods that other staid distros are unwilling to implement. If you aren't up for managing package conflicts or frequent changes in system configurations then you're probably using the wrong distro. The devs here love testing new technology and that's a great thing IMO. If you aren't up for managing these types of frequent changes then a static distro is likely more in tune with your needs.

8 Likes

But…a static and stable distro is BOOOOORRRRING :slight_smile: But yes, I’ve sang the same song.

3 Likes

Totally agree with this thought.
You've got to keep up with a lot more changes in Garuda.
What I posted above about my NVIDIA woes is an example of the "manual intervention" you have to do every so often to keep things going.

It is a little bit of work to keep your computer running, but almost all the tweaks and decisions the Garuda team makes, in the end, help contribute to more performance being squeezed out of your system and a better overall experience.

3 Likes

And what is a life without a challenge or two along the way? :joy:

6 Likes

I'll admit I love arch because tinkering is built into the OS. I like learning about the OS through the various little bugs and issues/ manual interventions that happen which force me to search it up and learn because otherwise it would be too big of an undertaking to learn from start to finish for me. Also greatly appreciate how robust and helpful pacman and by extension pamac is. I am not an avid linux user. Garuda is the my 3rd arch based distro that I settled on. I tried manjaro but it bugged out fairly quickly ( was a complete noob back then). Then I came across ArcoLinux and thats what I would settle on after distro hopping to the likes of Fedora/MX Linux etc. But same problem of bugging out after a while. Garuda so far has been very, and might I say peculiarly, stable. It is what I expect out of an arch system. Nothing will break unless I do something to break it. And after all hte distro hopping and trying and learning through all the arch based distros I have the discipline to use arch.

One qol change I would not mind however is a prompt before you confirm your updates that simply links to the arch news page and one link to the forums so I can quickly go over and check them. If its possible to script this I think I might try my hand at it. Though I am unfamiliar with hooks.

1 Like

I have already created the hooks and a service to do this and much more. I have been using this for months, but I have not finished implementing all the features I want just yet. It will be ready for release to those who want to do the alpha testing fairly soon.

5 Likes

Well here we are, right back where we started at the beginning of this thread.

This has created endless turmoil this week all because of an update to pacman6. This requires merging a pacnew file as routine system maintenance to ensure you can update your system properly. This has caused so many posts on this topic that I’ve lost count, and the posts just keep on coming.

And yet people are still burying their heads in the sand and refusing to merge the required pacman.conf.pacnew file to allow the system to be update properly again. Some obviously think this problem is going to resolve itself. Newsflash, it won’t. You need to get your hands dirty and learn how to merge your pacnew files. There’s no shortage of posts on this subject on the forum, it’s time to learn how to merge your pacnew files.

People, if you’re unwilling to learn how to merge a pacnew file then it’s probably time to admit you’re not up for using an Arch based distro. This must be done if you want your system to function properly. You can’t put this off forever, it’s time to break down and learn how this is done.

8 Likes

Some users just use arch spins as bragging rights to their mates, and have no intentions of learning and will go through life expecting to be spoon fed.
We as a society have brought this on with poor parenting skills, poor teaching skills, poor communication skills, etc . of the last century

5 Likes

Maybe this isn't the right place to talk about me, but the topic tickles me too much....
For me using a rolling distro is pure fun rather than hazard, especially in periods like this, with pacman 6, timeshift and other troubles... :wink:
So much fun that I remember all the previous distros as just "boring".
I don't have a very long experience in Linux, but I come from a technical background, then my working life brought me to other places...
For me using Garuda and a rolling distro in general is fun, because I love to "look for" problems, mostly to challenge myself, but also to learn.
It's worth noting that I can't use Linux for work, and on a personal level I have no special needs.
So I use the PC mostly to do something interesting that I couldn't do with a smartphone or a tablet....
I have a natural inclination for order and discipline, so I've always taken care of backups and I keep neat notes of all the things I learn (this helped me for example recently, because in one of the first updates I noticed the pacnew, I studied it a bit and took notes).
For all that, anything can scare me less than breaking my system :blush:.

6 Likes

Sounds like a great fit for you, not so much for:

7 Likes

Most definitely.
Garuda has reawakened my desire to learn after years of laziness.
It even made me feel young again! :flushed:

7 Likes