GNOME extensions removed due to being broken by release 40 (yet again)

When latest Gnome edition layout updates are completed? Today another UI update has been introduced. Are similar UI updates performed on KDE Dr460nized or is kept the same? I personally appreciated Gnome layout before updates therefore would like to know whether all recent Garuda editions have been updated in similar way, not sure whether to switch... In todays update I personally do not like dark menu line in the bottom and background for screens. Pls think to try some navy color to better visualise with desktop screens.Thanks

Using Manjaro repos would be like wrapping the whole body in gauze as opposed to putting on a band-aid when you scrape yourself. (although, don't tell anyone, I'm experimenting with converting Garuda to Manjaro repos for my lesser-used machines :nauseated_face:)

I think a more adequate solution would be something resembling my original idea.
If separate Gnome packages were maintained on the Chaotic-AUR, the Garuda team would have full control and not be subject to the whims of the Manjaro Team.

If everything else from the Arch repos can upgrade normally, I don't think it would be too problematic. The biggest incompatibilities I've found in Linux are when software is built for newer libraries, but things tend to be backwards compatible if software is built on older libraries.

Of course, what is done is up to the Garuda team.

If it is such a great idea, why do you not attempt it?

What do you want, a personal form of Manjaro–just for GNOME? Just for you?

2 Likes

@c00ter
If you'll note, I am not advocating using Manjaro repos. I am advocating for a method to hold only a few specific gnome packages while still using the Arch Repos.

Regardless, there is not certainty over whether there would be no issues in doing so.
It would be something that would have to be tested.

I think it is a reasonable compromise given the nature of Gnome releases, but it's not something I'll fight for till the grave.

The reason I said it is up to "Garuda team" is because I no longer use Gnome(due to incompatibilities). I don't have a complete vested interest in where Gnome goes either way.

That being said, there were a lot of things I loved about Gnome when I used it, so I'd be glad to see it prosper with proper Garuda flare and customization!

1 Like

That does make sense, after all Garuda is not Manjaro and it would be counter to it's philosophy if it adopted stable downstream repos. But branching off the AUR does sound like a feasible project to work towards. Meanwhile, I think it's very fair to leave the Gnome lovers to figure out stuff on their own. Although I must say, it's hard for me to weigh in since I've admittedly never used Gnome beyond a usb stick :grin:

Which packages?
I am using Gnome 40 right now and haven’t seen any issues (yet).

The only thing I had to do is delete old Gnome/GTK configuration in $HOME/.config and delete $HOME/.cache/*.
I used an old (test) user account though, but only because my main is on KDE.

1 Like

No. No, no, no. You have the slavish mentality foisted upon you by Manjaro and their ilk. In nine years of daily use, I can recall the number of actual problems with straight Arch on one hand
on one finger. And that was because I chose to forego reading the Announcements. Few, if any, Manjaro users can say the same.

It starts with just a few problems and a few packages. As the packages grow, so do the problems. The very thing they were meant to solve becomes the problem.

What you are suggesting reflects that slavish mentality.

If you don’t like what happens with GNOME–and it happens all the time with GNOME–either learn to live with it or change to something more stable than GNOME + Extensions.

5 Likes

We read the contempt of using Arch the Arch way.
We have the same contempt of using Gnome the Gnome way.
Gnome always upgrades with no problems, on the other hand extensions have full support by Gnome, but made by users and maintained by users all stored by Gnome extentions .org and the users git pages this has 2 advantages they are all in the same place and regularly updated that is win win.

1 Like

Never been a fan of Gnome, they keep removing functionalities while KDE Plasma keeps adding them. Needing a browser extension just to add the some of the removed functions, then of course few months later half the things get broken. Does anyone know why this is so? Seems absolutely bonkers to me.

1 Like

Well we have to disagree on things for me KDE is broken on a monthly basis. Every update something is broken.
At least with Gnome its only every 6 months but that said use Gnome the Gnome way its a 100% stable desktop,
Even Xfce4 is a mess still trying to mix GTK2 with GTK3 and next GTK4.
Gnome is not for everyone that is true and I was a Gnome basher for years till i found out how logical it is and all these dropped features non Gnome users complain about are not needed anyway, or they never bothered to to find them.
KDE is nice if you like it its not for me

5 Likes

MATE is the only stable one :maté:

3 Likes

KDE broken? What are you talking about? Haven't had any issues whatsoever in years. ( Well, apart from latte which can be buggy at times )

2 Likes

Really Mate is dated like fxce4 I would compare mate to a old lady of 90 and slapping on a ton of makeup ok till you look close then the cracks just keep showing up. Lol

2 Likes
  1. Edit /etc/pacman.conf and add the relevant GNOME packages to IgnorePkg or “gnome” to IgnoreGroup
  2. Done
7 Likes

NO seriously Every Desktop has its short comings that is why Linux lets you be flexible.
Dash-to-dock is now in Alpha for Gnome 40 its usable I use it, by the time Ubuntu is released most will be available Gnome although released tends to follow the Ubuntu schedule extension wise

@RUanauR Mate Aka Gnome 2 is nearly 20 years old Would KDE users. want to use Trinity aka KDE3.5 which in my mind was the pinnacle of KDE.

1 Like

You should try the Dr460nized DE.

Wait a minute, is Arch stable :thinking:
:wink:

6 Likes

I would say Arch is very stable 99% of the time the other 1% sorts out the men from the boys, reinstall is not on the cards for competent users

5 Likes

I think that is an overstatement of the situation. While a fix is often possible (maybe even always), the time available for it is not guaranteed to exist! A re-install of a backed-up, reasonably configured system can usually be under 1/2 hour - NOT the case for all fixes! :grin:

(That said, fixes are preferred - so you can avoid it next time)
5 Likes

When I install some gnome extensions it starts getting me problems. Whenever I press super or super+a, the screen gets frozen and nothing work. And the last way is to log out or restart the Garuda.