GNOME extensions removed due to being broken by release 40 (yet again)

Perhaps pin this? People aren't seeing it cause it doesn't show up....yes I know people should search but well people are people...:laughing:

5 Likes

Very good idea. Maybe then people will be able to find it :grin:

4 Likes

Unless you literally pin it to them, I'll take the Vegas odds against that happening.

7 Likes

Unfortunately I have a feeling you'll win that bet

3 Likes

The responses in that Reddit thread were pretty frustrating. Yes, WoW and GNOME do have a similar process for creating extensions, and the WoW community doesn't really expect Blizzard to do much to support the addon devs. But GNOME is also a goddamn DE, not a video game. There needs to be an API, both so extensions will work between versions and so extensions stop being able to cause the entire desktop to crash. It shouldn't be necessary to monkeypatch to implement most extensions, and those that remain that maybe do need to monkeypatch because the API isn't advanced enough yet will at least have like a flag or something to set them apart as being potentially unstable and particularly likely to break between versions so that they can be automatically disabled whenever there's problems.

I understand API's take time and effort to implement but it really should be a priority for GNOME. Users should not be risking loss of data because they wanted to modify their DE to better fit their preferred workflow.

1 Like

Manjaro uses a lot of gnome extensions(I recall dash to dock, etc.) and get a benefit from their software holding strategy.

Gnome updates are controlled and pushed out only when necessary extensions, etc. are compatible(and the dev team tests everything).

If Garuda Gnome wanted to do something similar so it could remain more custom I see two different ways of going about it:

1. Create some sort of package which adds Gnome packages to hold in pacman.conf and then removes them from hold when the newer version of gnome is confirmed compatible. The major issue with this approach is in building new images as the older packages will no longer be available on the Arch Repo.

2. Maintain copies of the necessary Gnome packages (name it something like gnome-desktop-garuda) on the Chaotic-AUR and make them the default on Garuda Gnome. This allows the Garuda team control over when new releases on Gnome are pushed.

I know this thought kind of goes against the Arch/Garuda philosophy of having bleeding edge software, but it seems like the only possible way to maintain custom extensions and all the pretty things that make Garuda so unique on Gnome.

Gnome isn't really designed to be modified from the gate and the timeframe for community modifications to become available is in the matter of weeks or months unfortunately.

2 Likes

It's really wondering that even if Gnome devs have a clear position they don't want any change to their DE and that they expect users use it as it is, then users keep on expecting patches from someone to change Gnome behavior.

Whoever wants something different from vanilla Gnome, go to Gnome and do a million requests.

IMHO any distro should respect firstly upstream wish to provide a clean DE.
Any user wanting something against devs usage instructions/manual should take the responsibility of their free choice to alter vanilla Gnome.

5 Likes

If users actualy bothered to check things out the new layout and design is a real step forward . The extension location has changed. Why O why do users look for the specific distro to install and maintain them they are all available from here one click install all gratis from gnome.
https://extensions.gnome.org/ were they are submitted by their devs

7 Likes

It is a good idea. This should be implemented.

Is using manjaro/stable repos for the Gnome edition an option to consider? Or would that require too much work on the chaotic front?

I dont think that this a valid option - from what I know Manjaro holds back package updates to make things work. When mixing these versions with Arch software library mismatches will most likely happen (the situation also happening when doing partial upgrades for example), resulting in a broken system.
Also this is quite against the principle of always the latest software which is why Im not really interested in such a solution. :thinking:

4 Likes

What if we have 2 different editions for gnome "Stable" which uses manjaro repos and "Rolling"

Stop kidding

@dr460nf1r3 and the team use this way.

Maybe you finish one thing after the other, not playing/dancing on multiple weddings.

6 Likes

Manjaro is far from stable. Their method results in partial upgrades and is responsible for most of their users “stable” update problems.

Their stable would be better used as a paddock. :frowning:

6 Likes

Apparently you won that bet, as the numbers of posts regarding this topic haven’t exactly tapered off since it was pinned. :crazy_face:

6 Likes

What about an anouncement on the website?

Ahh, worse.

You know, people even ask "what is default password", especially on telegram.

6 Likes

Have you installed on metal and test "some" parts?

2 Likes

I am downloading right now.
I expect my touchscreen laptop benefits from the new innovations.
But I am afraid wayland will give headaches I 'm not sure I can take… :face_with_head_bandage:

4 Likes