GNOME extensions removed due to being broken by release 40 (yet again)

I don't understand. You are replying in the thread that states extensions are broken telling us your extension is broken.

Welcome to Garuda!

7 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Navel gazing at the Arch Universe - (and other philosphical musings)

Me, a window manager user looking at another fight between DE users:

5 Likes

Updated my Anarchy + Gnome over the weekend and got the Gnome shell 40 update. I have to say the new interface is not bad and does make the temporary lack of Dash to Dock tolerable. It helps that ArcMenu is up to date.

I do think that as mentioned by mandog, it's better not to bake too many extensions into a Garuda release. Yes, you can make the initial release real fancy, but then with updates to Gnome, extensions may break or the developer may stop development along the way.

Being baked into the system means the user then has to remove the problem extensions with root permissions. You can't remove those extensions using the Extensions website.

If most extensions are simply left to the user to install/remove from the Extensions website, it is so much easier to manage. Just use the website, or you could just remove/rename/move extensions from their subfolder in /home.

6 Likes

I'm beginning to come around to (and embrace) the minimalist gnome philosophy & workflow. I've gone through a few stages:

1st -- it felt very foreign, frustrating, unintuitive out of the box. This is personal, if I were coming from Mac, it probably would feel more natural, but there is a big adjustment/learning curve coming (originally) from Windows and more recently having spent a decade or so using Linux DE's that stick loosely to a more traditional desktop metaphor / workflow (KDE, XFCE, and Mint mostly).

2nd -- I started to appreciate and get the hang of the keyboard centric, minimalist approach, and got more familiar with the gnome ecosystem and flow of things. But became more and more frustrated with the lack of easy tweaking/configuration out of the box (even with gnome tweaks and extensions it still doesn't compare to KDE in level of customizability).

3rd -- But once I began to embrace the minimalism, and appreciate that one positive of this minimalism and lack of focus on customization is an out of the box experience that feels very 'well integrated' and clean and thoughtfully put together. It feels very polished (not in terms of stunning visuals or exceptional theming, but in an experience that is thought out, well curated, and so far for me free of the blemishes/rough edges/issues that come from heavy customization.

I've now come to the place where I really appreciate and like the KDE and the Gnome design philosophies, KDE will probably always be more intuitive to me, is in my eyes more feature rich, and I really love how easy and intuitive it is to customize nearly any part of the DE. The flip side is that it can sometimes feel tooo feature rich, and when highly customized can feel like the desktop equivalent of an over modded hot rod, with lots of bells and whistles and attractive features, but not so refined or polished.

Gnome on the other hand feels elegant and minimalist and quite logical and efficient when you understand the logic/philosophy, but sometimes it feels tooo minimalist, and in my opinion themes needs to be better integrated into the DE. Still, I've learned to embrace the minimalism and appreciate the workflow of Gnome 40 with virtually gnome custom theming or extensions changing the layout or aesthetics. I'm even learning to appreciate the default dash (previously I always used dash to dock). I think Gnome is a very logical choice for a laptop or for a non-primary desktop.

As it relates to Garuda Linux, I think the KDE philosophy and ecosystem is a much more natural fit to the Garuda Philosophy, and a logical choice for the flagship [one of the flagship] flavors. As I understand it, both projects preference being feature rich and highly customizable over being streamlined / minimalist / well curated / seamless.

While I was originally frustrated by the lack of themes and extensions currently compatible with Gnome 40, this frustration forced me to learn and embrace the stock gnome experience / workflow, which I now view as a positive.

For the foreseeable future, I will probably continue to test Garuda Dragonized as my main OS on my desktop and Fedora 34 / Gnome 40 as my main OS on my laptop. I see value in both approaches.

6 Likes

The Garuda flagships are still Xfce and i3wm :crazy_face:, KDE just looks horny. :smiley: :wink: :slight_smile:

Other users will love Cinnamon, Sway, Qtile or whatever else Garuda has in its portfolio.
The important thing is and remains that it is Linux, based on Arch, always the latest and best software. Created with love.
To stand up to M$.

Stay healthy.
Greetings :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, my translation program doesn't manage more letters, so I had to keep my praise short, sorry.
7 Likes

"GNOME is for work(stations), Plasma for play."

Seriously, GNOME has always been a premier work environment but, as you expressed so eloquently, the onus is on the user to learn the workflow.

Good review.

10 Likes