Gnome 43 news?

May not be raising this question in the right place, please excuse if I have not.

1. Any news when Gnome 43 update will come to Garuda OS?

2. Is there a safe way of installing it before the release?

I am already using Gnome OS 43 in Boxes. There are some features in this that would be immediately useful.

Thanks for any help.

2 Likes

It'll be there soon.

If you wanna try it, make a VM and install OpenSuse Nightly or Fedora in it. I don't think it makes sense to compile it now when the Arch developers will release it shortlyafter testing.

2 Likes

It's still in Arch's unstable repos. You can install 43 by enabling those repos in pacman.conf but I do NOT advise it. There's a reason they are still in Unstable. But it's your system to break. :wink:

6 Likes

You will hear the banging noise, when that happens! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Several users are also waiting, so I guess we will know as soon as it starts.

6 Likes

The current arch GNOME maintainer usually releases to stable around 3 weeks after the initial release.

Hey, at least because of the delay less extensions will break.

8 Likes

Well I don't see it here - Arch Linux - Package Search,

And there's a discussion going on here - GNOME 43 in Arch / Applications & Desktop Environments / Arch Linux Forums

1 Like

4 Likes

So yeah, it's installable via gnome-unstable.

I do remember with Gnome 42 there were plenty of people in the Arch Linux forum asking when it'll be released because it was late as well. But: I am actually happy about this, letting time pass to get the bugs out and the extensions working right.

1 Like

I love it, I love it, I love it! Allan, you know, owns Arch. :wink:

1 Like

pamac is upgrading some apps to version 43, including Console and GDM. Console will not launch on shell 42.5 and I am afraid if I restart I will not be able to log in with GDM 43.

I would be afraid of not being able to login after restart also, if I was using Pamac to upgrade packages.

For updating your packages, it is best to run:

garuda-update
1 Like

garuda-update is offering the same packages...

Packages (5) fontconfig-2:2.14.1-2 gdm-43.0-1 lib32-fontconfig-2:2.14.1-2 libgdm-43.0-1
libphonenumber-1:8.12.57-1

Total Download Size: 2.00 MiB
Total Installed Size: 24.35 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 0.33 MiB

As you can see gdm is being upgraded to version 43.

Still, I wouldn't worry about it since GDM starts after Grub. Take the update, reboot, and if you run into any problems just restore the pre-upgrade snapshot.

1 Like

Computer rebooted just fine, only "issue", console or blackbox don't launch, I guesss I have to wait until gnome-shell is upgraded to version 43.

Nobody's forcing you to use GNOME, right? If that is true, then the torture is self-inflicted. If it is false, then you need to kick that horses' arse in the dick and go with a different DE/WM.

I feel f or you. I got tired of it a dozen or so iterations ago. I mean, there's just so much pain a person can take on a regular six-month basis. After a certain point, the thought of updates makes one cringe.

Just sayin...

3 Likes

LOL, no comments

1 Like

Just got the update for Gnome, but gdm won't show up on boot.

If you have already updated, boot to a previous snapshot and set WaylandEnable=false in /etc/gdm/custom.conf in the after-update snapshot by:

sudo nano /.snapshots/17/snapshot/etc/gdm/custom.conf

replace 17 with your snapshot number from the btrfs assistant.

before writing to the snapshot(which is read-only by default) you would have make it writable:

sudo btrfs property set -ts /.snapshots/17/snapshot ro false

after editing the /etc/gdm/custom.conf in the snapshot, make it read-only( though not necessary):

sudo btrfs property set -ts /.snapshots/17/snapshot ro true

Now boot to the updated snapshot.

Is that a Nvidia-based issue or global? When I started trying out GNOME 43, after i noticed it rolling in, I had literally, out of the box, no issues on AMD RX or Intel UHD. I'd heard at least one other did, but beyond that, I've not heard/seen issues, in fact, Gnome's fixed quite a few of the issues I was having with 42 relating to multi-monitor and DisplayPort that I could finally go back to Gnome from having a hiatus to XFCE for a bit.
And FYI, I block reddit, so links from reddit I can never read. I find their content to be... Not worth the wasted time weeding through the weeds.

4 Likes

I agree, there is so much garbage to sift through it always makes me cringe when it’s a top hit for something I’m searching.

Not to drag the thread off-topic, but the Garuda Teddit instance is awesome for turning down the noise for the occasional visit, and takes drop-in URL replacement (change “www.reddit.com” to “teddit.garudalinux.com”, and leave the rest of the URL as-is).

So in this case:
https://teddit.garudalinux.org/r/gnome/comments/yj3nig/gdm_not_starting_after_updating_to_gnome_43_arch/

It doesn’t stop Reddit from being a dumpster fire of bad information, but it’s a much more tolerable interface.

3 Likes