Gedit embedded terminal default directory

Ive started using gnome and I loved gedit, ctrl+F9 opens the embedded terminal but the directory is not the one I created my .cpp file in, by default it is in home directory. How should I set it so that the default directory is the directory I'm working in.

1 Like

What does the operating instructions say?

I'm just a beginner, only started couple weeks ago, I kinda don't know where to look at. First i started questioning in arch forums too and when I mentioned that I use Garuda I've been kicked out because they said go to Garuda linux forums, so apparently I thought I can't post questions at other linux forums.

1 Like

https://www.openoffice.org/xml/xmerge/downloads/gedit.html

Before opening a new help request, please search the Arch and Garuda Wiki's, and read any relevant sections related to your issue. Also, thoroughly search any error messages in the forum's search engine and on the web. For in depth information on how to search for answers to Linux issues effectively read the tips on the Garuda Wiki:

Please report in detail everything you have already attempted to solve your problem.

Ask in

1 Like

The home directory is based on the user launching the shell. Even if you figured out how to change it, I don’t think you should because you might create other problems.

You can add a line to your .bashrc and have the directory change as soon as you open the shell, as described here.

The simplest option would be to move the file you mentioned from your music folder to your home folder. If that is not possible or is otherwise undesirable, you can create a symbolic link to the file.

sudo ln -s Music/some.file

That way you can use the file from the home folder without moving it.

It is customary to add into your help request an account of what you have already tried to solve your issue. Not only is this informative for forum helpers who are trying to figure out how to solve your problem, but if nothing else it is a good faith gesture to show you have put some effort into resolving the issue yourself. After all, no one should be putting more effort into resolving your issue than you.

What SGS is pointing out here is you are opening help requests where this piece is missing. Maybe you have tried to resolve the issue on your own before opening the thread, maybe not: there is no evidence.

Next time, please include a few lines describing things you have tried that didn’t work, or links to some articles you read that didn’t solve the issue, stuff like that. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

You may want to give a look at this one.
It's old, a bit complicated, but maybe could be a starting point:

3 Likes

I'm just a beginner, only started couple weeks ago, I kinda don't know where to look at. First i started questioning in arch forums too and when I mentioned that I use Garuda I've been kicked out because they said go to Garuda linux forums, so apparently I thought I can't post questions at other linux forums.

1 Like

Yes, this is a well-known fact.
It’s mentioned here in a pinned topic.
Unfortunately you had to discover that on your own.
I’m leaving the link here especially for the other newcomers as a reminder:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.