Garuda Linux "Black Eagle" (201119)

Hey guys!

It's time for another major release, Garuda "Black Eagle"!

This release removes all Ultimate editions except KDE since we now have a GUI to install all kinds of applications after the initial installation. Users are now able to choose which apps they want to have installed so a "bloated installation" should now be a thing of the past :wink: Make sure to run the setup assistant as it also enables some user services such as PSD even if you don't want to install other applications. As a result of this change the Lite editions got even lighter than before since some apps were moved to the setup assistant.

Our Garuda Welcome app also got improved (now contains only shortcuts to important stuff), settings and system maintenance related things can now be found in one of our new apps, the Garuda Assistant. It got even more options than before, eg. local adblocking via hblock (modifies /etc/hosts) - make sure to check them out :smiley: Another new GUI application "Garuda Gamer" helps gamers installing all kind of gaming related stuff (Steam, WINE, gamemode, etc.) with a mouseclick!

We also disabled the firewall by default as this caused some confusion (services were not working ootb etc.). If you want to have it active (recommended!) make sure to enable it after the installation.

Our iso offerings include now a completely overhauled XFCE edition by @Yorper and a new dr460nized edition which is basically a clean, sweetified KDE version with a lot of blur, MacOS like workflow and fish shell.

Also most of the reported bugs have been fixed along with some QoL changes to existing presets. The startup issues of the GNOME edition still exist for some people (most likely hardware related) and couldn't be fixed since they couldn't be replicated on personal machines. Since it will work for some people it wasn't removed from the list - if you want to check it out, feel free to do so :slight_smile:

A few other changes include our wallpaper collection (split into garuda-wallpapers & garuda-wallpapers-extra - a lot of new art by @SGS and two eagle themed pictures by @pupperemeritus!), fewer Firefox addons by default (HTTPS everywhere is a native feature now), a new neofetch logo and a slightly changed zsh configuration (removed oh-my-zsh + readded functionality).

We hope you enjoy this new update as much as we do! :blush:

TL;DR
  • All editions:
    • Unified setup-assistant stuff into /usr/bin/setup-assistant
    • Added a GUI to setup-assistant which also enables upgrading to ultimate with a lot of choices!
    • Apps available via setup assistant are removed from the isos
    • Only KDE will have an Ultimate edition build, otherwise use the setup assistant to get the apps you need.
    • Firewall not enabled by default anymore (people were confused about services not working)
    • Fixed auto-cpufreq service
    • Added micro config
    • Terminus set as TTY font (looks way better)
    • Neofetch now has a nice nice ASCII art with the Garuda logo
  • KDE:
    • Updated Latte layout
    • Removed redundant theme choices which were missleading
    • Use wallpaper instead of Slideshow
  • Dr460nized:
    • Basically a very slim, sweetified Plasma config with a lot of blur & fish as shell
    • MacOS style appmenu at the top while having Latte as dock
    • Firefox-appmenu
  • GNOME:
    • Updated extensions
    • Theming now shipped in its own package
    • Updated Flagfox
    • Broken? Not broken? Nobobody knows for sure. ( -> Experimental state)
  • XFCE:
    • Complete overhaul of packages & configs by @Yorper (clean!)
  • GNOME (barebones):
    • Added networkmanager
  • Garuda-wallpapers-extra:
    • Added tons of nice wallpapers by @SGS
    • Added 2 nice eagle themed wallpapers by @pupperemeritus
  • Garuda-firefox:
    • Removed HTTPS everywhere as its native in FF83+, enabled by default
    • Only pulls 3 essential addons (uBlock origin, Dark reader, LocalCDN)
  • Performance-tweaks:
    • Moved to GitLab
  • Garuda-zsh-config
    • Removed oh-my-zsh
    • Added completions
    • Fix keybindings
  • Garuda Welcome:
    • Improved GDM Wayland toggle
    • Updated HiDPI mode
    • Removed settings & Qwikaccess -> Garuda Assistant
  • Garuda Assisstant:
    • Moved settings from Garuda Welcome & additional ones to this application
    • Added hblock as local adblocking option (via /etc/hosts)
  • Garuda Gamer:
    • GUI to install & enable gaming components

Downloads are available now below via direct link & torrent, mirrors will be updated soon as well.

Downloads
Screenshots

edit1: added screenshots
edit2: added fixed dr460nized link

19 Likes

Xfce (pimped :wink: )

11 Likes

Congratulations and Great job team for Black Eagle,
Is it will automatically upgrade from golden eagle to black eagle, or we have to manually install from iso???

well

Rolling Release

it means you dont need to reinstall everytime we upgrade our iso
they only for new users so that they dont have to install tons of update on first boot
just do

sudo pacman -Syu

and done

8 Likes

Dr460nized is new UI or its modified GNOME version???

1 Like

It is modified kde.

7 Likes

I will have a look at it soon. I wonder when distrowatch will list the update and out of curiosity how does listing new updates on distrowatch work? has nothing to do with the update I'm just a curious cookie.

Well distrowatch doesnt watch us

They watch news from websites like fossbytes

3 Likes

After reading yesterdays email I had to come and say congrats on this. Simply sounds fantastic. Was going to install the upcoming EOS November release for my roommate, but after reading your email, and the changes in this I may go ahead and install this. Especially since it's closer to Manjaro than EOS, and he really needs something that can just be installed and used. Again Simply fantastic sounding.

Read @dr460nf1r3’s post in full and look at the screenshots. Also the screenshot terminal output. It looks sharp.

3 Likes

Or maybe closer to Arch than Manjaro?

regards

6 Likes

had a chance to look at this I came across these issues
tested version KDE not the ultimate version

Welcome screen if you selected an option and then pick another option both of those options will stay highlighted until you close the chosen option (really minor thing but hey there you go)

the garuda-boot-options crash immediately if I try to use them error log here

no protocol specified
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :1
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa, eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

zsh: abort sudo garuda-boot-options

garuda-network-assistant crashed instantly as well error log below

No protocol specified
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa, eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

zsh: abort sudo garuda-network-assistant

I hope this was helpful :wink:

general feedback it would be nice if the setup assistant in the welcome screen had some icon it looks a bit out of place but that’s just my opinion

3 Likes

EOS is based on a different backend so of course something arch based is going to be closer to Manjaro since EOS is based on Debian I believe :wink:

Gee, thanks, guys. I had just figured out the edition differences and was going to install the version 201022 KDE Barebones edition today, when you released this new build. Now I have no choice but to write USB keys for KDE Lite, KDE dr460nf1r3, or KDE Barebones all over again.

Probably will still go ahead with the Barebones. Besides an base, all I need is an ethernet connection and a terminal and I'm ready to fly with the Garuda Eagle! :smiley:

Really. Thank you. :smiley:

5 Likes

EOS is, but not EnOS (EndeavourOS) is based on Arch. I believe poster meant EnOS.

regards

EOS is Arch or I wouldn’t of mentioned it. :rofl: :roll_eyes:

Ventoy is your friend.

1 Like

Sudo does not work to start gui apps

Use lxqt-sudo garuda-boot-options

2 Likes

I ran them from the welcome screen first and then I tried with sudo from the terminal for the error log if you click it in the GUI it crashes as well here’s the error log of it crashing using lxqt-sudo

No protocol specified