Garuda installation failure

Hello.

I tried to install Garuda 3 times to no avail :disappointed_relieved: ! It always blocks there :

https://www.cjoint.com/doc/21_12/KLsgbHfZ5m6_Garuda.jpg

What's the problem please ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
iBenny

EDIT: @filo's suggestion to select free drivers at boot provided the non-booking ISO issue solution. ~c00ter

We will need some more information on your system here.
Unfortunately if this is occurring on the live USB you can't provide your inxi -Faz.
Maybe at least PC or laptop model, GPU used and if you use external monitors and how (HDMI?).
Finally, I remember a long thread on how to dual boot. Still doing that?
I remember your current Windows setup is BIOS/MBR, so this might play a role as well, meaning that Garuda should be installed in the same way. But I'm not an expert with that setup, since I'm on UEFI since many years.
Please also confirm if you have tried booting also with free drivers option and followed the instructions on disabling secure and fast boot in the BIOS, and SATA mode is set to AHCI.

2 Likes

Hi filo,

I use a 4G USB key built with Rufus and the problem is the same with both my laptop and my PC.

On my laptop, I have W7 installed and on my PC, I tried it with only an empty SSD formatted installed (disconnected the two other bootable drives) and with those two drives connected with the same issue.

And what is a inxi-Faz anyway ?

I'll check for secure fast boot and come back. AHCI is on.

Both my system are BIOS/MBR.

Many thanks,
iBenny

If the same USB doesn’t work on both systems I suggest using Ventoy or balena Etcher

1 Like

How old is this PC? When was the last time its BIOS was updated, and how much RAM does it have? Linux is not “intended for old or low-end computers” regardless of what you may have read or been told. That is a fallacy.

Garuda is an operating system focused on performance and that requires a minimal hardware profile. You can tell us what you have via the “inxi -Faz” terminal output. The required reading you skimmed over prior to posting has that information. Please read it.

Not the best choice, but you would not know that. The DD command, Etcher, or Ventoy are preferred over Rufus.

What is “both?” Please explain in detail.

Further, the fact “they” are both using BIOS/MBR concerns me. Garuda works and performs better with EFI/GPT (according to the specs). An older, low-end machine will probably not yield you optimal (or useable) performance on old equipment. A few Linux distributions are focused on older machines, but Garuda is a sportscar that does best on high octane fuel. The more modern the hardware, the better. (One caveat being well-configured Window Managers.)

@iBenny, we need you to help us help you, by re-reading and applying the “inxi -Faz” information. It’s a total craps shoot without it.

regards

4 Likes

Hi gang !

My laptop is an old HP HDX18 Premium w/W7 BIOS/MBR
My PC is a DELL Precision T5500 workstation w/W10 BIOS/MBR, 24G RAM, Xeon CPU w/6 cores - 12 threads.

These are "both" my systems.

I had "fast boot" ON on my pc and I disabled it and holy cow, the booting went from 15 sec to 10 min !!! and... same issue.

Still don't know what is "inxi -Faz" ! Give me a link...

Will redo my USB with Etcher and come back to you...

Many thanks guys !
Best regards,
iBenny

When you'll be able to boot to a system, open a terminal and enter that inxi -Faz.
The output will provide your system specs, and should be copied in a post as text, with
~~~
before and after the text block, for formatting reasons.

inxi NOT a windows command...

I can get you a msinfo32 report though...

Or I can boot with Parted Magic and get you that inxi report...

That’s why i told

Try with Etcher first, please.
For the laptop the issue could be with the GeForce GT 9600M which I think might not work with the latest proprietary drivers, so, more than ever, I think you should select free drivers at boot.

1 Like

All beginners are able to delete the template.
What beginners can’t do, apparently, is read this.

I admire @filo for his patience to explain this, what was already in the template prayerful over and over again.

In such cases, I just post the template again, not giving up hope that it will eventually lead to success. :slight_smile:

Here it is again :smiley:

Hello.

Post your terminal/konsole in- and output as text (no pictures) from:

inxi -Faz

Without it, you will not receive any help from the Garuda team or your topic is likely to be closed without notice.

Before you open a new help request, read relevant sections of the Arch and Garuda wiki.
Thoroughly search your issue and any error messages in the forum and on the web.

Report everything you have already attempted to solve your problem.

5 Likes

Hi,

You have to understand that you are asking me to use a Linux command on a Windows system ! NOT very compatible. If the aim of this command is to give you the hardware profile of my pc then, maybe THIS and THIS should help, I hope.

Please note that I don’t want to dual-boot with Windows but want to install it on a sole SSD.

My strategy is to disconnect all drives except for the SSD where GARUDA is to be installed and after installation, reconnect all disconnected drives and when I want to use GARUDA, I select it at boot time with the boot device selection. This provides peace of mind to assure Windows 10 does not mess up with the boot loaders and brake the dual boot functionality when it does updates.

BTW: Etcher did not resolve the issue

Many thanks.
Best regards,
iBenny

Did u Use BIOS with Legacy Support? Did U tried it with only EFI Mode?
The USB i belief u did the Checksum of the Download! Sometimes it is a Download error and the checksum could give a hint.

Please do as instructed if you wish to receive help. Further, Garuda does not (officially) endorse dual-booting with another operating system. You will need to provide your own help.

More than one operating system on one computer can be problematic, regardless of what you call it. It is a good scheme, though, and hard to fault.

You'll probably do fine on the newer machine but please be sure your BIOS is updated on it since it is a new machine. Your laptop is a toss-up, though someone diligent enough may have decent results with it. Were it mine, I would definitely want to explore the low resources-consuming Window Managers, rather than the full Desktop Environments.

You need help with one computer at a time (one help thread at a time, too) though I suspect since you're having no luck booting either of them, that it is a bad ISO download, a bad USB key, or a faulty installation to USB.

4 Likes

Ok, please try also Ventoy app.

Next which DE?
Write full ISO name, maybe you use a dev. Edition.

I dual boot on two laptops fine with M$, but if M$ destroy the boot part, I must fix it by myself.
Everything is possible in Linux, you must only know to help yourself, like booting from BIOS and so on.

4 Likes

My pc is BIOS with Legacy Support yes. Don’t plan to convert it to UEFI.

Regarding the checksum, I don’t find it on Garuda website so I downloaded it again and its checksum is identical to the one I already had :

garuda-dr460nized-linux-zen-211129.iso =>

SHA 256: 4A78B37A75B6FFC13AF25ABBFB7DECE6B0E4312F96C1AB0F459F7BA847E27D88

Yes sir ! If you red my last message, I said I don’t plan to dual boot

Don’t plan to buy a newer machine.

I only plan to install Garuda on my pc; period. The laptop adventure was only to test the installation key. And the download is correct as I mentioned above.

If Rufus and Etcher gave the same result, no need to try Ventoy.

DE ? what’s that ?

The name of the iso and its hash are up above.

Many thanks.
Best regawrds,
iBenny

Desktop Enviroment , KDE, GNOME, Xfce, MATE, BSPWM.

Sample of name

Dr460nized ! :sparkling_heart:

I am afraid you are mistaken in your definition of dual booting, and @Bro is more correct in this case.

While you may not be using a dedicated boot manager in your setup, you still plan on having more than one OS installed on your computer at a time. That qualifies as a multi-boot setup whether you agree or not.

Using separate drives for each OS is a better way of setting up a multi-boot system, but it still meets the definition of dual booting. While this setup is better than using a dedicated boot manager there is still the possibility of creating problems whenever one OS can see the other file system.

The only way this type of setup would not be considered a multi-boot system is if you physically disconnect all but one OS while the other is in operation. I use this type of setup with a 6 bay hot swap rack for my SSD’s with different OS’s installed on them. I only have one OS accessible at a time with this setup, so there is no possibility that one installation can view or modify files of the other drive. Even with this type of setup Windows can still interfere with devices on a hardware level and disable them for use in Linux.

Simply because you use your bios to select your OS at boot time (rather than a boot manager), does not mean you haven’t met the definition of dual booting.

3 Likes

I still have such a huge box in beige to stand in the basement, it’s time to bring it home again. Unfortunately only 4 hard drives to pull out.
Each slot has a real key in the rack. Safe is safe. In addition, I have the various hard drives at that time simply by self-built cables and toggle switch power to bypass the annoying in and out.

I feel like a hero :wink:

Then and now.

• Reminder
    Do new graphic cards still fit in there?
3 Likes

Why not (Ventoy)? And we have no need for any kerfluffles here about strict nomenclature. Or spelling. Or grammar. Or my grandma’s maiden name.
:wink:

We just need to get you up and running!
:smiley:

1 Like