Garuda installation failure

Duly noted ! thanks.

If you insist… I’ll do it. But know that I also used another USB stick configured with Easy2Boot to the same result.

Many thanks.
Best regards,
iBenny

All you can do is try. We're not there to look over your shoulder. :slight_smile:

Format that USB stick in ExFAT (in Windows), first, would you please? I would use a reliable partitioning/formatting software to do so; I don't trust Windows. I use AOMEI's freeware version of Partition Assistant, myself. AOMEI Partition Assistant - A Safe Partition Manager for Windows PC and Server

1 Like

If instead I discard the drive letter of the Garuda drive making it inaccessible and/or raise the “hidden” flag on that disk, now do you consider it to be isolated and secured from the main Windows OS ?

Then when I want to use Garuda, all I have to do will be to assign it a drive letter and/or discard the drive “hidden” flag and choose the drive at boot time…

Best regards.
iBenny

BTW: my DELL T5500 don't have "Secure boot" but "Fast boot". Is it the same ?

Best regards
iBenny

No its not the same

1 Like

I don't have "Safe boot" then ! Or I have it and its not disable-able...

This can still happen by simply booting into Windows. Windows has a nasty habit of disabling WiFi, Bluetooth, and sometimes Ethernet in Linux. This often requires resetting your bios to the factory default to clear the hardware block.

Its not just Windows detecting a Linux install that can cause issues. You don’t want Linux to see any Windows partitions either. Although, if you mount the foreign file system as read only there shouldn’t be too much of a chance that problems might arise.

Ventoy failed also ! :sob:
i.e. stucked at the line: “Terminate Plymouth boot screen…”

“Stucked” means cursor blinking up to 10 min with no activity where I CTRL-ALT-DEL.

I tried it on my laptop and… same issue !!!

iBenny

My Dell works best with that BIOS setting at “Thorough” so that it scans and recognizes my hardware.

“Secure Boot” may come with differing names. It has that name in my 2019 Desktop Coffeelake Dell’s, but that doesn’t signify much. Again, don’t get hung up on names, please. Your desktop compy is pretty new, neh? Googling your model seems to indicate that (along with your BIOS date, to some degree). If that’s a fact, it most certainly has some sort of Secure Boot feature BIOS settings. I can’t envision Dell releasing otherwise.

What I don’t like is that my desktop Dell’s BIOS’ Secure Boot settings sometimes don’t “stick” on the first go-round and I have to change it once again (to Audit?) under the Fast Boot BIOS tab. If you’ve got something weird like that, too, you might want to play with it…the BIOS setting.

Sometimes getting a new user going takes a bit of user-effort that is foreign to Windows users but pablum to Linux users, so please don’t get discouraged. Your efforts will pay off but we need to get you through your initial panic.

Someone else here has a Ryzen 5. Someone else here probably has a Dell Ryzen 5. Where I am out of my depth are AMD and nVidia (since 2000).

Video driver or driver versus kernel issue. $100 USD says so. (Oops, missed the decimal between one and zero.)

Try different ISOs which have different kernels–KDE Barebones vs. KDE d460nized have linux-lts vs. linux-zen. They have different kernels, and dollars-to-donuts may (or may not) accommodate your hardware.

I say that because I forgot that one, very important step of trying different kernels on a recent Bluetooth help thread. Something that should have earned me a tar ‘n’ feathering, were not there such gentle people here.
:smiley:

KDE Barebones. Linux-lts kernel. M’kay?
:smiley:

reducto: “Try different ISOs which have different kernels.”

2 Likes

Sometimes secure boot is called a different name in some bios.

If your computer is even semi recent I'm pretty sure it will include secure boot.

Sometimes the secure boot setting is hidden until you enable an administrator password in the bios. Once you have located the setting, be sure to disable secure boot.

1 Like

You need to set your bios to uefi ?

1 Like

I checked in the DELL service manual and its Technical Guide and no mension of the word “secure” in them.

Hope my Nvidia gc is not an issue here. Wonder why since the issue arise on my laptop also.

Trying another iso ? Damn, it took me 15 years to decide to try Linux and took that long to choose a distro that pleases me ! Not fond of trying another distro… :anguished:

Damn, I bought a new 1T SSD specially for this Garuda. $200 for nothing :disappointed_relieved:

BTW: got the latest BIOS : A18

iBenny

Well, don’t GPT drives work in tandem with UEFI BIOSes ?

Not alway.
GPT is part of the EFI specification,but does not always play nice is best to run in uefi mode with it.
Also as you usb,s are being writen with a uefi boot manager and none work with your bios setting so i would change it to uefi to see

1 Like

Thanks but no thanks. If Garuda Dr460nized (NO other) don’t want to work on my BIOS/MBR pc, I quit !

iBenny

As you did not provide your system specs via your inxi -Faz output we did not have much information to go on here. I just searched you model and was surprised to find this laptop was 2008 vintage.

Your laptop may not even meet the minimum specs to install Garuda being that old. Regardless, even if you did get Garuda installed on a laptop of that vintage, Garuda Dragonized would likely run very poorly on it. This is because Garuda Dragonized is optimized to run on modern higher spec computers. You might want to try a distro designed for older hardware such as Linux Lite (or other distros for minimum spec computers).

Good luck to you.

3 Likes

@tbg, I did the same and immediately discounted it. But he also has a modern Ryzen 5 Desktop machine and says dr460nized won’t boot on it, either.

@iBenny, we are trying to help you but your impatience is starting to wear. No one here provides paid or contractual help for Garuda. It was created by users just like you and me, and all of the forum helpers do so out of love.

Garuda comes in many flavors. Many desktops and window managers. It’s like a candy store, and we are just asking you to try a slightly different flavored jellybean. A different Garuda ISO, such as Garuda KDE Barebones. That ISO boots using the Linux-LTS kernel and it may (or jmaynot) provide different results. And we can help you make it look any way you want. Truly.

But you won’t know unless you try.

5 Likes

Just wanted to add to what tbg has been saying. I sucessfully run a dual-disk-boot with garuda and "Wintendo." (IE Windows). When i set it up, I guys I know suggested that if I were to use this type of setup it might be a good idea to use full disk encryption, (with different keys) as, aside from all other advatages , that might lower the risk of one OS seeing the other and messing with it. Because that can happen, In unpleasant ways.

The user has provided no inxi outputs, so this has all been nothing but an exercise in frustration for everyone involved. The user could use a live Ubuntu boot disk to run the inxi command and post their system specs for better assistance.

Regarding his Ryzen 5 desktop computer, if it is the version with an integrated GPU some people have issues getting Garuda to install with those models. I believe using a kernel boot parameter helps install Garuda on Ryzen 5’s with the integrated APU. Of course without an inxi -Faz output, everything is purely speculative on our part.

This thread (now at almost 40 posts) is a perfect example of why our forum requests all users post an inxi output to receive technical assistance. This thread has been a colossal waste of time for all involved because of the lack of system specs.

5 Likes

Absolutely. And thanks for your help, big guy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes