Fresh install, not saving settings between restart + odd errors

Hi folks, just discovered Garuda and was pretty interested and excited to find what I perceived as a more highly optimized and well tuned Manjaro-Arch variant. Unfortunately I've been hitting various walls after just starting.

I installed the KDE Dragonized edition and installed quite a few packages that were offered as options after installation.

Unfortunately after all of this and updates and a reboot, I found that my icon changes among other settings tweaks seemed to have not saved between sessions.

I also tried to set my network connection settings on the KDE System Settings -> Connections panel, but I get an error:

Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kcm_networkmanagement.so: (libqcaa-qt5.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

I also noticed in the Add/Remove Software app that the "Browse" tab is showing "No package found".

It just seems like a lot of things are broken and this has been a supremely frustrating experience thus far.

What should I do from this point to try to restore sanity and begin tracking down issues?

You did make timeshift snapshots, right?

Can you not rollback?

3 Likes

Make sure you don't login with the guest user account.

4 Likes

So this Timeshift functionality is new for me, so I did not make them myself manually. It appears that there were automated snapshots generated but after rolling back to the first one it still didn't resolve the issue. I guess a default snapshot must not have been generated upon fresh install, which is really disappointing...

1 Like

Hmm, apparently there were not enough then to cover the initial installation? Rolling back to the oldest simply didn't do it and retained the same errors. I'm going to do a reinstall (which I would rather not do since it just creates more wear on my device) and see where that lands me with regards to both snapshots and then generating a new snapshot by hand at install.

Do manually invoked snapshots remain indefinitely (until manually deleted) - or perhaps I should just ask: how does the snapshot retention work for Garuda?

Crazy, so I did a fresh install yet again and ran into the same issue immediately upon install:

Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kcm_networkmanagement.so: (libqcaa-qt5.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

Likewise settings such as trackpad options (natural/inverted scroll) and window locations, icon preferences, etc. are not saved between sessions/reboots.

Please can you post which apps you add in pacman/pamac
or if no changes, which settings you want to change in KDE Settings?

For me, it’s work OOTB.

1 Like

So yeah, nothing changed. I only ran the default update - no other packages installed.

Specifically these things I've noticed this time around (we'll keep it simple here for the moment):

• I set the installer to auto-login. That failed and doesn't work.
  • I wanted to change my TCP/IP v4 settings to be a static IP vs the DHCP. That is the aforenoted error in KDE System Settings.
  • Trackpad setting changes do not save between sessions, also as noted.

This is caused by a partial upgrade, and that happens after installation because of something the user does (e.g. install software without updating, or updating only some packages).

Make sure you are fully up-to-date, e.g. run the upd shortcut to refresh your mirror list and update the system.

3 Likes

I see no upd shortcut, symlink or anything of that name. There are no icons / shortcuts as such on the Desktop either. I did, however, do a pacman -Syu and that did not resolve this issue.

Interesting, upd was added recently and was mentioned on the forum.

pacman -Syu is a good idea, but you missed the step of first refreshing your mirror list.

1 Like
alias | grep upd
alias upd 'sudo reflector --latest 5 --age 2 --fastest 5 --protocol https --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && cat /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && sudo pacman -Syu'
3 Likes

Interesting indeed... @SGS alias | grep upd returns nil. Not set.

Which shell you use? bash?

We're going off-topic here. Let's get back to fixing the system.

1 Like

@SGS default: /bin/zsh

After manually running the update I received the following output:

~> sudo reflector --latest 5 --age 2 --fastest 5 --protocol https --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && cat /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for USERNAME:             
################################################################################
################# Arch Linux mirrorlist generated by Reflector #################
################################################################################

# With:       reflector --latest 5 --age 2 --fastest 5 --protocol https --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
# When:       2021-04-02 18:54:40 UTC
# From:       https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/json/
# Retrieved:  2021-04-02 18:54:25 UTC
# Last Check: 2021-04-02 18:15:56 UTC

Server = https://mirror.sergal.org/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
Server = https://mirror.pseudoform.org/$repo/os/$arch
Server = https://archlinux.uk.mirror.allworldit.com/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
Server = https://mirror.selfnet.de/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
Server = https://mirror.ubrco.de/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra                                1621.1 KiB  2.52 MiB/s 00:01 [------------------------------------] 100%
community                               5.5 MiB  8.02 MiB/s 00:01 [------------------------------------] 100%
multilib is up to date
chaotic-aur is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: garuda-common-settings: local (1.1.3-2) is newer than chaotic-aur (1.1.3-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) qt5-svg-5.15.2-2

Total Download Size:   0.14 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.48 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
qt5-svg-5.15.2-2-x86_64               146.6 KiB   654 KiB/s 00:00 [------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                     [------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                   [------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                        [------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                  [------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                [------------------------------------] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade...
Using system disk as snapshot device for creating snapshots in BTRFS mode

/dev/sda2 is mounted at: /run/timeshift/backup, options: rw,relatime,compress=zstd:3,ssd,space_cache,autodefrag,subvolid=5,subvol=/

Creating new backup...(BTRFS)
Saving to device: /dev/sda2, mounted at path: /run/timeshift/backup
Created directory: /run/timeshift/backup/timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-04-02_14-54-50
Created subvolume snapshot: /run/timeshift/backup/timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-04-02_14-54-50/@
Created subvolume snapshot: /run/timeshift/backup/timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-04-02_14-54-50/@home
Created control file: /run/timeshift/backup/timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-04-02_14-54-50/info.json
BTRFS Snapshot saved successfully (0s)
Tagged snapshot '2021-04-02_14-54-50': ondemand
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/garuda/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-zen
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux-zen.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-zen-fallback.img
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
Detecting snapshots ...
Info: Separate boot partition not detected
Found snapshot: 2021-04-02 14:54:50 | timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-04-02_14-54-50/@
Found snapshot: 2021-04-02 14:08:14 | timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-04-02_14-08-14/@
Found snapshot: 2021-04-02 14:00:01 | timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-04-02_14-00-01/@
Found snapshot: 2021-04-02 12:08:12 | timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-04-02_12-08-12/@
Found snapshot: 2021-04-02 12:02:19 | timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-04-02_12-02-19/@
Found 5 snapshot(s)
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) upgrading qt5-svg                                            [------------------------------------] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/8) Syncing all file systems...
(2/8) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(3/8) Foreign/AUR package notification
python2-bcrypt 3.1.7-4
syncthing-gtk 1:0.9.4.4-2
(4/8) Orphaned package notification...
=> No orphans found.
(5/8) Checking for .pacnew and .pacsave files...
.pac* files found:
/etc/systemd/system.conf.pacnew
Please check and merge
(6/8) Updating pkgfile database...
(7/8) Checking which packages need to be rebuilt
(8/8) Syncing all file systems...

Unfortunately no problems were resolved by this.

Check your error message?

2 Likes

I don't see this as being part of the issue since sdb is just the USB installation flash drive that's still plugged in.

OK, so something has broken between the installation and now. Everything appears to be up-to-date, which can only mean that something installed has broken the setup when you

Two choices at this point would seem to be the easiest way to identify the issue:

1. Restore a working snapshot and update,
  2. Reinstall and update,

then step through the changes you made one at a time until you find the one that breaks things.

3 Likes