Firedragon suddenly stopped saving history

I declare Firedragon a chameleon.
Suddenly it refused to save sites I visit on the tab page. I would go to settings and enable that option, and upon a restart, the option would be set to off.
On the new tab page it would show the option which I would select, and upon a restart, was just like before, the toggle was off.
So, uninstalled and reinstalled Firedragon through Octopi.
With this new install, I went to add my extensions: Ublock Origin, I still don’t care about cookies, No cookie for old men and Bitwarden.
On Mozilla’s Add ons page, it said "Download Firefox to install extensions. However there was an option to download the file, which I selected, and I was able to install the extensions.

[EDIT]
When logging to the forum, it no longer Say sorry an error occured.

What exactly is that option?

This usually indicates the setting would be set to reset itself upon a restart. This is a feature Mozilla makes available, as you can see on Line 19 of the file /usr/lib/firedragon/firedragon.cfg.

FD comes preinstalled with uBlock extension, you don’t need to install it.

Have you followed the Troubleshooting Steps?

1 Like

@FGD Now, these settings stay.
Regarding “Sorry an error occurred” when trying to log onto the forum have disappeared.
Today I when to view one the channels to which I have subscribed on Youtube, and youtube would not let login, because my browser was unsupported. I checked the User Agent, and it was set to “Spoof Chrome on Linux”
Changing the User Agent to "Use Firefox User Agent (default), I was able to logon to youtube.
Now, with Firefox as the user agent when I come to login to the forum, I get the message “Sorry, an error occured”. I click on Ok and logon normally.
Changing the user agent to “Spoof Chrome on Linux”, when I come to login to the forum there’s a pop up saying “Touch your security key to continue with forum.garudalinux.org” the pop up has Ok, Cancel buttons. I click on cancel or I can wait a little while and the pop up would go away. Login is ok, no problem.
Basically spoofing Chrome on Linux is not the best option (for me). Using Firefox user agent all’s well for me.
This is supposed to be the final version. I am not well versed with the arcane settings of a browser, frankly reading

Wouldn’t enlighten me, yes I am that stupid.

@FGD That option is: in The Home section “Shortcut: Save sites that you save or visit”

This is not the default User Agent we use. When Fingerprinting is enabled, we use “Use Firefox User Agent (Default)” from the Settings, which translates to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0
Disable Fingerprinting and you will get something different.

Also if you follow the Troubleshooting Steps, it mentions to check your User Agent from a website, not from the Settings. The Settings won’t tell you the real fact.

1 Like

Oh those are the shortcut icons in the New Tab.
That broke once during testing, they seem broken again. It’s a difficult one and we want it to work, I’ll take a look at some point.

This is what I will do tomorrow.
Delete everything related to Firedragon from my system.
Install Firedragon like a fresh new app.
See what happens.

1 Like

Hum, for some reason the Feed in New Tab got disabled, I wonder if I made a mistake at some point and copied over old settings.

Until the next FD version, you can toggle to TRUE Line 516 directly in firedragon.cfg:

defaultPref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.topsites", true);
1 Like

We seem to be going in circle here. With the new install I did yesterday, that issue was resolved. That’s the reason tomorrow I want to have another go around with a fresh-clean install and report my findings.

I can help on that:

After uninstalling FD,

Delete everything from Firedragon system folder:

sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/firedragon

Delete everything from your Home Firedragon folder:

rm -rf ~/.firedragon

Keep backups before, JUST in case…

1 Like

Will do.

Per @FGD suggestion

After uninstalling FD,

Delete everything from Firedragon system folder:

sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/firedragon

Delete everything from your Home Firedragon folder:

rm -rf ~/.firedragon

I can say the only extensions that are installed are:
Dark Reader
Plasma Extension
I’ll come back tomorrow and see what’s next.

These are the only 2 you find here?

That is correct.
Today, again I have removed Firedragon, deleted the configuration files, cleaned packages cache, cleaned caches and reinstalled Firedragon.
The only extensions showing in the hamburger menu are:
Plasma Integration
Dark Reader.
However checking on the extensions, Ublock Origin is installed, but it is not shown in the list accessible from the hamburger menu.

This will get rid of it, it’s not supported nor required anymore.

paru -R firedragon-extension-plasma-integration

Now why uBlock is not installing, that is very very weird. I just tested it on a clean FD install and it does install. I think your other post says uBlock is now installed, though.

EDIT: uBlock does get installed

If it doesn’t on your machine, you have an issue somewhere else affecting this, but I admit at the moment I have no clue where to look for that, especially that Dark Reader does get installed, but not uBlock.

1 Like

Ublock is installed, it is not shown on the hamburger menu for the extensions.

This is taken care in your other thread.

Regarding the OP, the Top Sites not being saved, is it fixed following my suggestion?

That was saved with the new installation, I had nothing to do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.