FireDragon Librewolf fork šŸ‰

Hmm my session restore works. You might need to set "remember history" and uncheck "clear history when FireDragon closes" options. Not sure about html5, it's working fine for me.

2 Likes

They might require some functionality which is prohibited by the privacy about:config values.

2 Likes

Dear FireDragon Team,

can you fix the user agent ? Getting old browser notifications is annoying.

Itā€™s fairly easy, usually. In order to download something from Gitlab, Github or any other Git repository available to you just type ā€œgit clone url-of-the-repositoryā€, it will download all of its contents in your home directory, and to install you usually need to read a file named ā€œREADME.mdā€, ā€œinstall.mdā€ or something similar. There will be instructions specific to this package. Follow them, and if they are up to date, you have a working piece of software (hopefully).

4 Likes

Cant fix stuff that isnt broken :smiley: actually this is one of the tweaks which originate from the Tor browser project iirc. The reason behind shipping that browser agent is that this is a general value which does not
really ā€œstand outā€ from the masses. Which pages are giving you ā€œold browserā€ notifications?

Thinking about how to improve things:

• How many of you guys are actually using Whoogle? People might complain about it being pulled when not using it. Making DuckDuckGo default + whoogle in optdepends might be a better solution.
  • How many of you are using the Nightly variant? I found that its much easier to just build off stable - patches are not adapted to Nightly ( not a suprise, lets be honest :smiley: ) which makes is impossible to get appmenu support for example
  • Speaking about patches: currently trying to get the KDE patches by OpenSUSE in the stable, using Plasmafox as inspiration once again. This will make it an even better choice for dr460nized default browser.
  • I might also remove some of the preinstalled addons (looking at NoScript & canvasblocker as it might confuse normies) - thoughts?
6 Likes

I think that duckduckgo is still spookier and slower then whoogle, although I use searx all the time.

NoScript should be removed, itā€™s really frustrating for the users. CanvasBlocker doesnā€™t break that much. Some other extensions from privacy guide should be considered, I think.

6 Likes

I dont like DuckDuckGo either, lol. Its search results are most of the time not what I want. But I forgot about SearX, that is actually what makes sense to set as default. Nice.

Alright, then it will be removed & ClearURLs added. Frustration is nothing I want to cause within users :smiley:

If there are any more things or suggestions let me know :slight_smile:

Another things I had in mind ( as someone on AUR complained about it ), renaming firedragon (Nightly) to firedragon-hg, respective firedragon-stable to firedragon. This makes sense as the focus is no longer on the nightly :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

I used to use Whoogle@localhost, but while on VPN G**gle bugged me with captcha. Unfortunately thereā€™s no solution or workaround for this unless I change to different country thatā€™s not bugged by G**gle or exposing my own IP.

Currently Iā€™m using searx@localhost (I could use searx.garudalinux.org but I want hostname_replace plugin which is not yet merged to searx officially and in which I want to have the sites I want to get replaced. Itā€™s awesome now, really! My suggestion would be adding searx@localhost as well!

For new comers I think DuckDuckGo by default would be fine.

I donā€™t care as it doesnā€™t matter for me. Everythingā€™s working fine in stable build :slightly_smiling_face:.

I use / have enabled all of the add-ons. For newbies they may annoy. Even if you remove they can be installed manually, so wonā€™t be a problem.
Please donā€™t remove Dark Reader and uBlock Origin!

4 Likes

This seems like its related to one of the recently fixed issues I experienced too:

Added this now as choice with searx in optdepends + a notice that searx is required to run this, a good idea as well. :smiley:

Never. These are what Id call essentials :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

No. Even now I searched something in Whoogle@localhost but this appeared (Iā€™m on VPN):

Iā€™ve requested this already in chaotic-aur repo and hope itā€™ll be added as well :wink:

4 Likes

If NoScript were removed, I would be one of the first to add it back.

6 Likes

An update is out (87.0-3) :

• KDE integration with file dialogs and global menu (coming from OpenSUSE)
  • Using more system libraries than before (harfbuzz, av1, graphite)
  • Removed NoScript + added ClearURLs
  • DNS-over-HTTPS via Quad9 enabled by default, to bypass restrictions put in place by internet providers (in Germany they do this aggressively now)
  • Default search engine is Garudas searX instance which means whoogle is no longer a dependency
  • Local Whoogle/Searx is an option in search engines which need either whoogle or searx installed as optdepend
  • Removed DRM settings from Librewolf to keep compatibility with streaming services
6 Likes

Ah, thats indeed another issue. It seemed similar :thinking:

Added :slight_smile:

For sure a good idea. As NoScript users usually know how to get their extensions its now removed to make life easier for people who dont know how to get along with this :smiley:

6 Likes

Accepted :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I've been enjoying Whoogle, but it does take a long time to load during startup from USB, maybe disable it for the live if possible?
Also, why not use search . garudalinux . org as the default host? Most setups don't really benefit privacy-wise from using own instance.
Using firedragon-stable as of recently, no complaints there! Appreciate having the choice of both.

Edit: searx . garudalinux . org is also a great choice

3 Likes

Is it somehow possible to integrate it with Kget? Iā€™m looking for that for so long. Thereā€™s an extension in Pling-store, but that seems outdated. Flashgot is also suggested in forums but thatā€™s also outdated.

1 Like

Searx local is using https so not working unless I change to http in address bar every time.

2 Likes

Searx is serving http? :scream: Fixed with the update :slight_smile:

Doesnt that serve the purpose?

6 Likes

Thanks for this link! It works! :smiley:

3 Likes

This change has been completed - package names are now AUR compliant.
Upon updating firedragon-stable should automatically ask to be replaced by firedragon - people using the nightly (former firedragon) probably want to install firedragon-hg :slight_smile:

5 Likes