Firedragon browser wont show certain page elemets | Heatmap

Hello guys,

First let me say I very much like Firedragon. How it looks how it performs, very nicely done.

How ever I have a small problem. Firedragon will not show some page elemets such as Maps (HeatMaps). And I can not figure out why.

As you can see on the picture the field is blank. What it should show is a World map and drawn on it heat point to indicate destinations. It pulls the map from www.openstreetmap.org.

In other browsers like FF this is working, but for some reason Firedragon will not show it.

Anybody has an idea why?

Regards,
S.

Maybe you can give a link?
This picture is useless. :slight_smile:

But seems to work here.

1 Like

Hello,

Sadly cant give you a link as its a Report on a FW :slight_smile:

Also I corrected my post above it pulls from www.openstreetmap.org

This is how it should look like picture taken from FF.

To be more precise, this heatmap is generated on OPNsense GUI for ZenArmor Reports. All other reports work. ZenArmor is a L7 FW, and this specific report that is not working on Firedragon, basically shows heat points of destination for traffic.

Regards,
S.

Personally, I tried to disable all plugins, change protections settings etc. The basic. But cant figure it out nor I do not know how to tshoot this further.

Regards,
S.

4 Likes

Thanks mate,

Will read thru it and go step by step. Stupid me, I could search on the forum for more generic tshoot!

Regards,
S.

1 Like

So this helped, just renaming the firedragon.cfg to something else

rename /usr/lib/firedragon/firedragon.cfg

Thank you guys!

Regards,
S.

Ok that means there is 1 or more settings in firedragon.cfg that prevented your page from showing. You should go through the list of settings in that file and find which ones. Maybe this is something we can set as default if there aren’t any downsides to that.

By renaming the file you lost ALL other settings part of Firedragon and when you launch it, it now shows and behaves more like a plain Floorp.

To find the setting causing your issue, I have written tips in the link I provided above.

2 Likes

Yop already going thru the Category/Section.

I will try to locate the setting or settings doing this. once I have it I will post them so you can see if those could be by default disabled or changed as you mentioned.

This will take me some time! But I will dig into and and try to find them :slight_smile:

Regards,
S.

Found it,

For some reason I had the feeling it will be related to FINGERPRINTING AND USER AGENT category.

When removing the section whole, issue disappeared. Then I looked into individual sections and found webgl.disabled set to true, I removed it issue disappeared. I did as well test and set it to false and issue disappeared.

So looks like the specific issue I have is caused by >

/** [CATEGORY] FINGERPRINTING AND USER AGENT */

/** [SECTION] WEBGL */
defaultPref("webgl.disabled", true);

either removing this section or changing it to false fixes it

defaultPref("webgl.disabled", false);

Regards,
S.

3 Likes

Well mister I cannot thank you enough for your finding!

Troubleshooting and reporting results to Garuda is how we can improve our packages.

I always questioned the disabling of webGl, I will think that again.

So in the meantime, if or if never, we enable this setting by default, you can pass it to your firedragon.overrides.cfg in your profile folder. This way you will ensure to always get this enabled for you and not have a future Firedragon update override your firedragon.cfg.

4 Likes

After some research, WebGL has security issues, although not that easy to assess and may be more a double-edged sword than anything else.

I believe we rarely see someone posting on the Forum about this or requesting to enable it.

Since I do not know if those security risks from 10+ years ago are still in effect, at the moment I will keep WebGL disabled by default, therefore I highly recommend to keep it enabled in your firedragon.overrides.cfg for your use case.

That’s the beauty of Firedragon and its super easily customizable file! :smiley:

2 Likes

Personally I did believe there is a reason why this setting is set (aka to be disabled). You had to have some reason to do so, as seen from the config file a lot of things set there give personal sense to me.

What I mean is, I dont see a reason to have this setting changed (yet) to a new default and pushed to all users. As I am probably the 1st and only person to hit a problem with webGL. As long there are not multiple users (XYZ) reporting issue with webGL, there is as well no reason why to go and do a full investigation on the security status of webGL and if its save now in 2024. That would be at this time just a waste of resources.

So for the greater good, let it as it is. :smiley:

I will just change it individually creating the override, thus my problem is solved.

Thank you for the advice where to set it, so it will not be overwritten by updates on individual user level!

Regards,
S.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.