"error: symbol 'efi_wrap_1' not found"

Hi everyone !

So basically after updating my system (I took the dragonized one cuz i'm a g@m3r), I had the famous "setfont: KDFONTOP not implemented" screen and blocked me on it, and i tried to add the "setfont" binary in the mkinicpio.conf file for then type "mkinitcpio -p linux-zen", "mkinitcpio -p linux-lts" and finally "mkinitcpio -p linux-hardened" (I also tried mkinitcpio -P to be sure) for which was a success.

Unfortunately, after a reboot, it follows with an other error message which said : "setfont : error kdfontop.c:183 put_font_kdfontop: Unable to load such font with such kernel version" so I figured it out that I updated my kernel. But, I was stuck on this error message too. So I finally tried to demote to an older snapshot and it worked ! I was finally able to see my desktop again... before I restored the snapshot as the primary version, and that's where the problem is.

Now when I want to boot my linux, I have the "error: symbol 'efi_wrap_1' not found" error and been stuck in the grub rescue mode.
But don't get me wrong, I tried to reinstall the grub via a fresh dowloaded garuda live iso to chroot my primary system. Nevertheless, it doesn't work, and I'm still stuck in the grub rescue mode.
Is someone has another solution ? Otherwise I will probably reinstall the whole thing after saving some important files.

Thanks for reading !

1 Like

This seems to be a common issue right now, have a look here for reference:

1 Like

Yeah that seems to be the latest kernel bug. So you couldn't boot even with linux-lts or hardend?

That's extremely strage :thinking: . People had this same issue on forum and chrooting with live USB and reinstalling grub fixed it for them all without fail. Can you try to chroot just once more following this article.

If all that fails again. You could try this from grub rescue as last resort. Though this article is for ext file system translating it to btrfs shouldn't be hard.

1 Like

This issue seems to be different from the "old" and well-known:

or the more recent:

error: symbol 'efi_wrap_1' not found

and newer (I don't want to even think why it is occurring only to a currently small set of users :roll_eyes:).
As reported in my post in the other thread, already linked above, it should be a bug in a recent update of kbd.
So, unless a fix comes soon from those bug reports (Arch and upstream), my suggestion was to downgrade kbd.

1 Like

Hello ! So what is a kbd and how can I do that ?

Hi ! Thanks for your help, I see you're very active on this kind of topic and it's pleasant. Unfortunately, as for the grub rescue prompt, none of the commands work. "help" doesn't work, "lsmod" doesn't work, "linux", "normal" or even "boot" doesn't too, and so on. The only known commands I tried and worked was "ls" and "set".

As for this

this was the one I followed for reinstalling grub and didn't work.

It's a package. See here:
https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/kbd/
Try chrooting into your system from a live USB and give a:

downgrade kbd

exit from chroot and reboot. :crossed_fingers:

Ok I'll do that when I'll have the time !

Thank you for your time

Hello again ! So I chrooted in my system thanks to this post

and try the command

downgrade kbd

but the package doesn't seems to work because it tells me

sh-5.1# downgrade kbd

and then it asks me which packages of kbd do I want to install (I choose kbd 2.6.1-1).
But then this happens:

error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
error: could not lock database: File exists
    if you're sure a package manager is not already
    running, you can remove /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
sh-5.1#

So I tried to install it via pacman into the chroot by doing this

sh-5.1# sudo pacman -Sy
:: Synchronizing package databases ...
error: failed to synchronize all databases (unable to lock database)
sh-5.1#

So I wanted to install it on my live usb and then chroot to use it, but it doesn't seems to work either.
I tried to search some information about downgrade kbd into a chroot but I didn't find anything.

Can you help me more about this please ?

It seems your database was locked due to some reason. Hence why you couldn't use any pacman commands. You can remove the DB lock (provided you weren't using any other pacman commands in the background) via

rm -f /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
2 Likes

Thank you, it worked ! Now when I do downgrade kbd, it shows me a list of of differents version of the kbd package and when I select the latest version, it installs me. Do I need to choose an older version or do I pick the newest one ?

Other thing, I tried your post about the grub rescue prompt. I found my btrfs filesystem via lsbut when I try to use insmod normal, the output is

error: file `/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found.

So I guess it's a dead end for now

I just checked my system for the file and it exists

ls /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod
.rw-r--r-- 175k root  9 Jul 01:50 ď…› /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod

I don't have a lot of experience using grub rescue shell but I believe you are perhaps on the wrong partition. Maybe the guide was wrong and we need to use the vfat partition instead of the btrfs one.

Before going for downgrading kbd I suggest trying out this comment's suggestion:

Just noticed I'd set setfont as part of the BINARIES of /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, but also:

Replacing the hooks keymap and consolefont with sd-vconsole and regenerating the kernel image will remove the message.

Since the bug reports kbd version 2.6.1-1 at fault try an older version.

1 Like

Unfortunately in another thread downgrading kbd (to the previous version) was not successful.
Just a shot in the dark. Since the bug report is not proceeding and I see in the first post you use mkinitcpio, you could try this different configuration:
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/14pgcpf/comment/jqs9ibw/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
Before rebooting regenerate the presets with

sudo mkinitcpio -P

of course.

3 Likes

Hi, I don't have this problem anymore, now I can't boot my OS, it's stuck on the grub rescue :confused:

Hi again, so I tried to downgrade the kbd version. I tried every version from the latest to the oldest, but none of that works. Still stuck on the grub rescue with this message :

error: 'efi_wrap_1' not found

So I guess it's dead for me now, since I can't use the grub rescue and the live usb option don't work either. I think i'll do a backup of my file and reinstall the whole thing. Unless there is another solution of course

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.