Dual boot garuda linux

You are welcome. As a last note in case just incase u need windows dual boot
The recommended and safe way will be to
1st boot into windows iso and format the efi partition (u won't see the btrfs system partition here) and install windows
2nd after install make a gardu bootable and then install that again in same partition as u have it essentially reinstalling.
3rd if u don't see windows boot option . Boot into Garuda,
sudo micro etc/default/grub

And at the end of all lines add

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

if this line already exists above u can also make it false from true

Then save with ctrl+s and then ctr+q to exit
The run
grub-update and restart ur pc
Now it should work

Note u could try installing windows on top of Gardua too but it isn't recommended and might flush the efi anyway

1 Like

Ok thank you I’ll follow these rules in my future posts

3 Likes

We have never implied that dual booting does not work with Garuda. We only warn users that official support from devs on the forum is unlikely as it simply takes up far too much support time. This thread is a prime example as it is already over 60 posts long (and still going).

From your above comments you appear to be an expert in these matters. It will be awesome to see you providing support for all the clueless dual booting wannabees who can now follow your advice on the forum in the future.

Multi-booting is a black hole for support time, it will be so nice to see you assisting all the hapless
dual boot help requests @TikZSZ. So nice of you to volunteer. :+1:

10 Likes

Well i get that but not everyone understands how and what the story is, infact when i installed it, i didnt read that part or it wasnt there idk i joined 3 releases back otherwise i myself wouldnt have installed this great distro ,its only after i messed up partitions that made me realise what and how grub works.

People panic in such situations and most win users trying this distro dont get such stuff initially. So that warning works like a no no instead of a warning and i think thats no good coz its very rare that will happen. I updated to windows 11 it didnt flush so its really safe.

This post started coz the guy was afraid and he was so afraid he installed it on usb and messed up his system and then had to lose much further. If the warning wasnt there he would have just installed it on his system and be done with.
But thats just my opinion

Maybe a better thing to do would be write this dual booting works like every other distro but we dont provide forums support as its time consuming and there are plenty resources out there to fix it and then add a link to generic chroot article or whatever

Sure i would continue to help if i can

2 Likes

That's hilariously funny. I share his confidence and bravado in "trying it for myself" and "learning by trial & error", however, I do respect advice and written instruction from those who live 24/7 in these areas. I hope he continues to share his knowledge. FYI, I don't use command upd as I don't have it in my system. I do use the lesser known/used command sudo pacman -Syyu to refresh & sync mirrors & update or fix mirror issues such as discussed above. Nice to see different approaches to the problem. Forums are great aren't they?

1 Like

to whom ur reply? there is no discussion about using upd or anything as such atlest now and neither i gave such advice if that was meant for me

1 Like

The user posted a picture of his mirror/sync problem (not a proper approach but easy to see) and was told how to fix it. Sometimes you have to delete the local file to refresh from the server to stop corruption. One team member uses upd command. I don't. *See 000 posts. I like your responses. I had those issues in the past and my solution was same as yours, but then I have to do some research to get to that point. As for his dual-boot issue, it can be done, but isn't recommended by team Garuda & I have to concur. Thank you for asking.

1 Like

This and a couple of other threads are agonizing to read through. And I’ve seen a lot of crap advice in this, now, 68 post thread. I think it is time it was closed. :frowning:

3 Likes

Let the people have their fun. Sometimes these threads also have a learning effect, or it contributes to rethinking.

Your wish is my command :slight_smile: